Residency confirmation in nong khai

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Certificate of Residency Baht 200 for the last 20 years. Why has it gone up?

My Tambien Baan is a blue book. Police don't accept that as proof of residency

But what is a Yellow Book?

If you are a foreigner and living in a house in Thailand, you can get a yellow book ( tabien baan ) from the local town hall. If you have a blue book, one would presume this is for an apartment. Some town hall's make this a simple proceedure, some do not...Prakhon Chai for instance.

I got my Thai first one year temporary car drivers licence recently and I also paid $50 at the US Embassy for the residency confirmation. I will have to renew it again August 7th, 2014 and would like to do it next time through the Bangkok Division 1 Immigration Office or some other way besides the embassy. Has anyone done it at the Division 1 office? If so how long before should I start the process and how much did you pay here and did the local police come to your residence? Thanks in advance. wai.gif

You will not get one there unless you are on an extension of stay and making 90 day reports to them.

It can take as much as 2 weeks them.

Why would there be a need for a police visit?

Hi there Joe and thanks. I am sorry for not giving enough information but I am on an extention of stay from an OA Non- Immigrant visa. I had read on this board previously that a visit from the police was required, perhaps it was bad information and it is not required but that is why I metioned it and asked if anyone had done it through the division 1 office that I use since I live in Bangkok.

Do you need this if you have a Yellow book ...?????????????????

Shouldn't need it but then T.I.T and you never know................

A yellow book will do fine at most places.

But here In Ubon you still have to take a form from license office to be stamped and signed at immigration.

Exactly, T.I.T. I had to renew both my car and motorbike licenses and my wife her motorbike license about 6 weeks ago. We went into the local licensing office in Prakhon Chai a couple of weeks before renewing to find out exactly what we needed. We turned up with all the requested items. My wife had no problem with her license. When I produced my yellow book my applications were rejected. Yellow book no good I was told. I remonstrated saying what this same person had told me only two weeks ago what I needed and that was what was in front of him. Total waste of time. I had to go to immigration at Kap Choeng and get two resident permits, one for each license. 1000 baht thank you very much ( and of couse, no receipt ). I got back to the licensing office in time for the afternoon applications and they went straight through.

One point of interest and this just endorses the difference between licensing offices. The next licensing office to us along highway 24 is Nang Rong. In Nang Rong you need a medical certificate. In Prakhon Chai you do not need a medical certificate. In Nang Rong you do not sit through the video. You do in Prakhon Chai. Frustrating innit..........

I got my Thai first one year temporary car drivers licence recently and I also paid $50 at the US Embassy for the residency confirmation. I will have to renew it again August 7th, 2014 and would like to do it next time through the Bangkok Division 1 Immigration Office or some other way besides the embassy. Has anyone done it at the Division 1 office? If so how long before should I start the process and how much did you pay here and did the local police come to your residence? Thanks in advance. Posted Image

You will not get one there unless you are on an extension of stay and making 90 day reports to them.

It can take as much as 2 weeks them.

Why would there be a need for a police visit?

Hi there Joe and thanks. I am sorry for not giving enough information but I am on an extention of stay from an OA Non- Immigrant visa. I had read on this board previously that a visit from the police was required, perhaps it was bad information and it is not required but that is why I metioned it and asked if anyone had done it through the division 1 office that I use since I live in Bangkok.
No problem for you to get one as long as you are making 90 day reports. They check that you have the report receipt slip. Just go in for it about 3 weeks before you need it.

No police visit for sure.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe, and others.

I know this is not Nong Khai but here in Ubon I had no problem using "my" Yellow Tabian Ban last week. Others, without this Tabian Ban, who recently applied in Ubon have been directed to the local Tourist Police booth who have, after only viewing passport, have stamped "The Form of Residency"given by the DLT.

Ubon Joe, and others.

I know this is not Nong Khai but here in Ubon I had no problem using "my" Yellow Tabian Ban last week. Others, without this Tabian Ban, who recently applied in Ubon have been directed to the local Tourist Police booth who have, after only viewing passport, have stamped "The Form of Residency"given by the DLT.

Seems things have changed. There had been reports about yellow book not being accepted. It's good that tourist police will do the stamp.

I gave up on yellow book Amphoe in Trakan just kept giving us a runaround.

Just go to your local amphur with you local head man and another witness ( your partner etc if you have one ) they will tell the person in the office that they know you and you do live where you say you live.......takes about 15 mins , you will leave with your stamped certificate and the cost is 20 bht ....I did this 2 months ago, and I did it around 8 years ago when the cost was 10 bht, . you will also need to visit a doctor either in your local hospital or private doctor get get a certificate off him saying you are fit to drive etc. this will cost around 75 bht-100 bht.....I paid 75 baht 2 months ago...if you have british full driving license take it with you present to the person dealing with you and you wont have to take the driving test, you will just have to do your eye tests, and reflex tests...also take you passport plus you will need photo copies of you passport as well x 2 ........if you haven't got you full driving license with you, you will have to do the full test which now includes a 2 hour video in thai about driving, the law, insurance etc.....then they send a policeman in who wants to talk for an hour on driving...then you have to do the theory test which you can do in English on a computer but it based on the highway code and what you have learnt from the 2 hour video....so if you have a full licence already there is no to this part of the test........have fun..............this is my recent experience and getting your address has nothing to do with immigration or the police......hope this helps

In Jomtien you need one "Residency Certificate" per license (motorbike, auto) at 250 baht each = 500 baht.

Hard to imagine any immigration office wouldn't collect money for this.

Having done this twice recently in Jomtien, I can assure you that it is currently 300 baht each. When I asked for a receipt, I was told they do not give one for this. When I paid the 600 baht for the two letters, as you stated, one for bike license and one for car license, the DLT gave me both licenses and handed me back one of the letters, stating only one letter is needed.

Didn't try to go back to Immigration and ask for a refund for the unneeded second letter. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If your in the sticks some local police stations will do this for you at no charge. All immigration offices that I'm aware of charge 500 baht.

Pathum Thani immigration office was free. Just a long drive over and wait for a few hours in the queue.

I renewed a few weeks ago and this time the local Amphur provided a letter. Very small fee, quickly done, but you do need 2 Thai witnesses. Doctors letter 100 baht from any local doctors.

In Jomtien you need one "Residency Certificate" per license (motorbike, auto) at 250 baht each = 500 baht.

Hard to imagine any immigration office wouldn't collect money for this.

the drivers liscence office will take 1 original and 1 photocopy, if you want to save the 250.

at least dl office in pattaya, banglamung did the last 5 times i have gone

One thing I have learned in my years in Thailand, is that every governemnt agency has its own interpretation of the rules, and that can and will change every few months. So go to your local Driver License issuing ofice - show them what you have ( foreign license, passport, etc. ) and ask what you will need ( and where to get it). It's much simpler that way - there is no point in you knowing what I needed in the past at some other location.

Edited by tigermonkey
  • Like 1

If you have a TM47 (90 day Report) receipt then your address is already on that so no need for another piece of paper at extra cost and travelling expense.

Where?

Mine doesn't.

That wouldn't work anyway to get a drivers licence even if it did.

If you have a TM47 (90 day Report) receipt then your address is already on that so no need for another piece of paper at extra cost and travelling expense.

The address is on the portion kept by immigration - not on any receipt I have seen.

In case you're British, don't go to the Embassy in BKK. It cost me B2,805 the other day.....seemed a tad excessive

It's always been a tad excessive. But did you honestly expect anything other than overcharging at the British Embassy?

Yep, same price in Chiang Mai.......rip off! What should we expect? Nothing new there!

Chiang Mai, fill out the registration form, 1 foto, kopie of passport, visa, and contract for rent, this certificate is for free, but when i pick up after 1 week, the officer ask me if i want to make a donation to the coffee tale biggrin.png

so cost me 200 baht, but it is for sure for free. and the traffic department accept 1 original and 1 copy if you register for thai driver licence but has to be same day.

Try to get this letter from your embassy, but if you're an Aussie, it will cost you

600 baht fir said letter and it's good for one year...

600baht instead of 500baht or free?

Great advice.

Edited by papa al
Font

Exactly, T.I.T. I had to renew both my car and motorbike licenses and my wife her motorbike license about 6 weeks ago. We went into the local licensing office in Prakhon Chai a couple of weeks before renewing to find out exactly what we needed. We turned up with all the requested items. My wife had no problem with her license. When I produced my yellow book my applications were rejected. Yellow book no good I was told. I remonstrated saying what this same person had told me only two weeks ago what I needed and that was what was in front of him. Total waste of time. I had to go to immigration at Kap Choeng and get two resident permits, one for each license. 1000 baht thank you very much ( and of couse, no receipt ). I got back to the licensing office in time for the afternoon applications and they went straight through.

One point of interest and this just endorses the difference between licensing offices. The next licensing office to us along highway 24 is Nang Rong. In Nang Rong you need a medical certificate. In Prakhon Chai you do not need a medical certificate. In Nang Rong you do not sit through the video. You do in Prakhon Chai. Frustrating innit..........

Last year at Prakhonchai office I needed Certificate of Residency, Medical certificate, and my Colorado license that is endorsed for car and bike. I had to take the visual exams but no video, and no driving test. 440baht for both car and bike license. 55, TIT for sure.

• Like 1

I often wonder why anybody would go to the trouble of posting a question in TV to find out if something costs 500 Baht or less........what difference does it make?....it's hardly going to break the bank...is it?....or is it just that you want to bring the exact amount with you?

If your thinking of buying a car or a motorbike, taxing and insuring it and presumably putting fuel in it occasionally....one shouldn't be too worried about 500 Baht or 300 or 200. ?????????

Yeah, I know guys like this, who run around with 1000 baht bills falling out of their pockets, never asking what the cost of anything is, just slamming the money down. Guys like that make it hard for the rest of us to get a fair shake at the market when the Thais paint all farangs with the same brush. It seems to me that, the majority of those guys are the silver spoon types, never had to struggle for their money because it came so easy all wrapped up in a trust fund from daddy!

It's not like knowing in advance is going to make any difference........when you get your letter of residency at the nearest office to you......... they tell you how much it costs and you pay it. What's the point of asking around how much it will cost..it's not like you have a choice in the matter.

The Buriram driving licence authority want a Receipt of Noufication (which I assume is meant to be Notification) from the central police station. Your local amphoe police isn't good enough. It involves being finger-printed but not necessary to hand over money. Don't recall having to prove I stayed at the address I gave but then I'm a trustworthy looking sort of bloke.

Also it is not necessary to get a medical certificate to confirm that you are still breathing. It seems that the Buriram crowd can now work this out for themselves.

This is as at April 2013.

As someone said in this thread, the only way you'll find out what the authorities want from you in the area you live in is to go to them and ask. It may or may not be necessary to have some spare cash in your pocket.

This applies for any process with any type of authority in just about any of the 50-odd countries that make up Asia.

Clearly different by place. I just got two certificates of residency from Chiangmai Immigration. No charge, very friendly and helpful. Then went to get my first car and motorbike licenses. Inquired, out of curiosity, whether one of the certs could be a copy and was told that it could. I wouldn't risk it, especially as there was no cost for the second original. Have to do it all again in a year however. Was told that the validity of the residency cert. is 30 days, but I believe that if you squander a bunch of bucks and get from your embassy or consulate it is good for a year.