Naomi Campbell's skin whitened for Vogue Thailand cover

webfact

Naomi Campbell Looks Really Different On Vogue Thailand Cover... (PHOTOS)

Huffington Post 10/28/2013 12:28 pm EDT

o-NAOMIS-570.jpg?2

Last week, we saw Naomi Campbell in a characteristically fierce W magazine editorial that made the model look an awful lot like Michelle Obama. Today, we found Naomi's new Vogue Thailand cover... and whoever she resembles in this shot, it sure isn't Naomi Campbell.

We can't quite put our finger on what's different. Maybe it's the greyish tint to her naturally brown eyes, the lightened skin tone, the exaggerated shadows or all the above. Take a look at Vogue Thailand Naomi and Real World Naomi below and tell us if you can pinpoint the difference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/naomi-campbell-vogue-thailand_n_4170422.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naomi Campbell Looks Really Different On Vogue Thailand Cover... (PHOTOS)

Huffington Post 10/28/2013 12:28 pm EDT

o-NAOMIS-570.jpg?2

Last week, we saw Naomi Campbell in a characteristically fierce W magazine editorial that made the model look an awful lot like Michelle Obama. Today, we found Naomi's new Vogue Thailand cover... and whoever she resembles in this shot, it sure isn't Naomi Campbell.

We can't quite put our finger on what's different. Maybe it's the greyish tint to her naturally brown eyes, the lightened skin tone, the exaggerated shadows or all the above. Take a look at Vogue Thailand Naomi and Real World Naomi below and tell us if you can pinpoint the difference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/28/naomi-campbell-vogue-thailand_n_4170422.html

I wonder if Naomi approved these bizarre alterations?

With her beautiful color as here, Nivea and other whiteners are going to have to work overtime to get rid of this tan.post-9891-0-70563300-1383119529_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Will they give her, her dark skin back for any Vogue editions in Chiang Mai / Issan?

This skin colour alteration is ridiculous IMHO. It shows the workd what a sad, pathetic bunch of people there can be in places like BKK.

Go into any photographic store, the likes of which can be found in every town in Thailand.

Have your picture taken for government forms, driving licence, whatever.

Say to the technician, "Do not retouch or photoshop these pictures under any circumstances." (Haam retouch reu photoshop roop choot nee det khaat na khrap)

The photos will come back retouched.

They cannot prevent themselves from doing it. It is a mental thing. They know better. Photos must be photoshopped. The customer is always wrong.

Back to Naomi Campbell, I think they have tried to make her look Thai. Anybody else think that?

Flick through the mag's pages and i would think there will be a lot of adverts for whitening cream. This is Thailand where money always comes first and the advertisers wouldn't be happy to see a black girl on the front cover of a mag' they subscribe huge amounts of money to annually. The publishers also know that High So Thai women are the ones who will buy the mag' and the creams. Nobody in this country gives a hoot for the dark skinned girls, after all; would you expect to see poor Thai girls reading Vogue during their lunchtimes in the fields or canning factories ?

Edited by trainman34014

Why not just choose some Asian woman? A model only wears clothes. They don't save lives, invent useful things or change the way we live. Too much power to a nonessential.

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk

OMG, Vogue using Photoshop! The apocalypse has begun!!!

Seriously people. I am willing to bet that there hasn't been an un-shopped image in Vogue in more than a decade.

And all the other Magazines and Newspapers too, look at page 3 of the Sun,nobody has that perfect skin,without a blemish! it's all designed to make people feel inferior, and sell junk make up,skin creams, potions and so called Beauty Aids,it's all big business targetting, and parting the masses from their money!

Edited by MAJIC

In the past there have been numerous spats between Naomi & various

fashion & style magazines...not leaving out Naomi's ex's. The lady has

quite a temper. If this issue pisses of the lady I'd hate to be Vogue

Thailand's editor facing Naomi's wrath....she has never lost a battle yet.

It seems some things never change in LOS......I recall about 20 years ago going to see an Eddie Murphy film in Khon Kaen and was surprised to see that Eddie had lost his Afro hair and dark skin in the hand painted promo poster outside the cinema. People must've got quite a shock to find the star was not the white boy they expected.....not that most Isaan folk are as racist as their Central Thai compatriots, often being the butt of dark skin "khon Lao" jokes, so would probably sympathise with Naomi and Eddie's skin makeover plight. rolleyes.gif

It seems some things never change in LOS......I recall about 20 years ago going to see an Eddie Murphy film in Khon Kaen and was surprised to see that Eddie had lost his Afro hair and dark skin in the hand painted promo poster outside the cinema. People must've got quite a shock to find the star was not the white boy they expected.....not that most Isaan folk are as racist as their Central Thai compatriots, often being the butt of dark skin "khon Lao" jokes, so would probably sympathise with Naomi and Eddie's skin makeover plight. rolleyes.gif

I saw the most beautiful girl in Paragon the other day. Drop dead gorgeous and she had dark skin as have most beautiful women i have seen in Thailand.

Made all the other women pale into insignificance and she looked like a nice girl too but I was with the wife!

Not long ago I was in a shop there and the shop girls said to go look at the chinese models parading on a catwalk below.

I said why should I? Compared to thai beauties there's no comparison. From the indian to the chinese mixtures and to the half european like a young girl I saw who looked like Garbo with green eyes.

They try to breed an inferiority complex in thai women and the incessant advertising/programming on tv..

It's another subversion from the elite. Anyway chinese go brown too if they work outdoors.

This is what it's about really.

Its marketing to make you feel inferior and buy their useless products that are filled with chemicals.

Darker skin doesn't age as fast and collagen breaks down faster in fair skin. Have a look around you'll notice. I understand the heavy marketing and its influence, but it does get annoying- especially fighting off loads of umbrellas in the capital, haha.

Me, I care!

I care because the lighter/darker skin issue in Asia is akin to racisim in the US during the 60's and it needs to be changed.

I also care because the things the cosmetic companies are doing here in Asia would almost certainly be illegal in many western countries.

And finally I care because it's unfair to take advantage of a lack of education and to profit from it.

• Like 2

Reminds me of the first time I went to a barber shop somewhere in Rangsit in '07 (He was apparently one of the very few who could cut black hair without the bloody clouds and dips). He gave me this powder and aftershave to whiten my cheeks. I came back two weeks later, obviously darker than I was before and he supplied me with more. Five or so visits down the road, I think he gave up. I ended up dating the daughter. Good stuff!

Maye a photo of her throwing a telephone at one of her assistants would have been more appropriate!

It funny, here in Thailand girls wish to be whiter and girls in the USA got to the tanning booth!

Go figure!

Chulai 6768

Posts in violation of these forum rules have been removed as well as the replies:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

If you've ever looked thru a typical Thai gossip mag, you'll see that about 3/4 of the ads are for whitening cream. I don't know if any Thai ladies want to appeal to farang, but if so, they might want to know that farang equate white skin with ghosts (Casper, etc.) and also with anemia and general unhealth.

In 30 years in Thailand, my g.f.'s have come from Burma or hill tribes, partly for such reasons, I just have to draw the line at being with a gal who tries to be as white as the page this is written upon. Plus, you'll notice all the skin whitening gunk comes in v. small increments - because the companies make a lot more money when Thais buy cosmetics in small sizes - as they always do.

And then there are the ubiquitous katoy who stand behind the cosmetic counters, under florescent lamps, selling the stuff - another topic.