Taking Gold to Thailand

Not sure if this has been covered before but I have a couple of questions for the knowledgable chaps on here:

1.) How much gold (In the form of 10 Tola bars) can you bring into Thailand without facing penalties. e.g. taxes confiscation etc.

2.) Which of the banks has security deposit boxes available for rent. Currently I am with Kassikorn Big C branch. (I sent them an Email but got no reply)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Den

Bank safe deposit boxes!The way banks are handing them out is if you have large amounts of money in their bank,I mean millions of Baht.Thats plural.Then you can get one.There are private companies that rent them.I know of 1 in Bangkok,and Pattaya. As far as gold.the price trades on the world market.No benefits on bringing it into Thailand.I have my gold in A safe deposit box in my home country.

Prohibited (without licence):

1. Firearms and ammunition incl. explosive articles and fireworks, drugs of narcotic nature, e.g. heroin.

2. Gold bullion. Moreover it must be declared on arrival and can, if no import licence is available, be left in Customs bond at the airport of entry to be retrieved on departure.

3. Meat from any country affected by Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow and foot-and-mouth diseases. The measure covers meat from all EU Member States and any other infected country. Those carrying such diseased meat will be fined THB 40,000 and/or imprisoned for up to two years.

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

If you plan to bring in a sizeable amount you might want to contact a clearing agent in Bangkok with a query to see what the current thinking is.

If the gold was not bought from a Thai gold dealer, you may face some problems/ resistence if you want to turn it into cash for emergencies. If that isn't your intention, probably better to leave it at home or turn that gold into cash at home and buy some here.

Edited by Suradit69

I, on the other hand, do not see any problem with the OP's intention. The spread between buying and selling gold in Thailand is way lower than in most European countries. Safety boxes in the banks are readily available, I remember renting one on Koh Samui on a tourist visa without even opening a bank account in the bank (it was a yellow bank) in Lamai.