Nurses apologise for photo with slain Thai officer

webfact

personally i'm more worried that the idiotic actions of some lobotomized facebook photo addict will result in my death (e.g. by reckless driving or failure to follow health and safety protocol) than what such idiots do with or around my rotting corpse afterwards

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sack them. Right now. Make an example.

They wouldn't want the dead soldier to be a member of my family or they would get more than sacked, that's for sure. Disgusting.

Yet another internet tough guy.

What this nurse did was totally unethical & for sure they will face disciplinary action by the hospital management. No matter her opinions of the Thai security forces we have to remember they are treating wounded Thai security forces every day and potentially putting their lives at risk for retalation by the insurgents

NOT a internet tough guy..... Would You want her to take care of you? What is her real agenda?? SACK HER NOW!!!

• Like 1

I dont think that they meant to offend anybody. This stupid 'fingers' sign is used by just about all young Thai women when posing for a quick photo at any time. They just cannot help thrusting their two fingers up. Its their way of saying "hey look , its me"

For anyone looking to make a story out of it, i can only say "You obviously do not know young Thai women"

WRONG Again! You obviously do not know the situation down south, I have been down there........... you are so wrong this time....

It's totally unacceptable of a nurse to take photos of herself with a patient or corpse anyway. Making the kawai just makes things a whole lot worse. The guy was a hero trying to save other people's lives, i hope he is honoured and his family are taken care of by the government.

• Like 1

I dont think that they meant to offend anybody. This stupid 'fingers' sign is used by just about all young Thai women when posing for a quick photo at any time. They just cannot help thrusting their two fingers up. Its their way of saying "hey look , its me"

For anyone looking to make a story out of it, i can only say "You obviously do not know young Thai women"

Most Thai women don't pose or make V signs in front of a dead body!

And the only reason for that, is the lack of a dead body!!coffee1.gif

You're correct; it wasn't meant to offend anybody. At least it wouldn't offend the audience it was meant for. Somehow the photo got into the hands of people who don't celebrate the death of a non-Muslim policeman and now that they're caught, they are sorry they got caught. They are probably heroes in their village and with all the haters/terrorists.

I've taken thousands of photos of Thai ladies and the only sign they make with their hands is thumb and forefinger by the cheek, James Bond style. Until this photo, I have never seen the 'victory' sign flashed by a Thai female. Since it is so prevalent, perhaps you, and some of the other posters who claim this is so prevalent can post some photos of young Thai women flashing the 'victory' sign. Until then, I thing you are pulling is out of your a**.

• Like 1

The act was disgusting - no matter what religious affiliation those being photographed in front of a corpse may be. I am not bashing a religion. I am disgusted by what those people did. Tak Bai may have influenced their action. But still it is highly inappropriate for them to do so...

The thing is that you can't help believing that she has a beaming smile behind the mask.

What type of person acts like this? Does she have an agenda? Why take this photo? Disgusting, disgusting....

a person with personal experience of the thai army and governments actions in the area?

or perhaps as another person said someone with a personal connection to tak bai?

are you really so simple you cannot even begin to emapthise?

The south is in the midst of a long-ignored cilvil war. She is posing over the corpse of the enemy.

how hard is that to grasp?

Utter nonsense and baseless supposition. They took an oath as a nurse. It begins and ends right there.

Actually the doctor asked for scissors and they were just passing the message to the nurse in charge of equipment.

Actually they were playing Rock, Sissors and Paper..unfortunately the photo record of their choices. Whom posted the photo and did not the nurses realize it was an unappropriate photo to post..ops...it passed by two judgements...seems the third of the media did not.

R

Sacking her...

And they would be replaced by whom?

Where will they find someone not brainwashed by some religion or belief?

They are motivated by what they were taught.

Just the tip of the iceberg here...

Better try to sack all religions and systems of beliefs...

"Better try to sack all religions and systems of beliefs..." Okay, let's start with YOURS first!

Stupid, stupid young ladies. No amount of apologies are going to be able to reverse what has happened, the last 5 pages on this forum is a good example of the reaction. Added to the mix is that the young nurse in the OP is a Muslim intensifies the anger and brings religious emphasis into the fray.

What follows, without defending their actions in any way, is perhaps an explanation of what we are seeing.

Since the availability of digital cameras, and more important the increase of social media networks, the public has been aware of what people are posting (and in a lot of cases liking!) for simple one-up-man-ship. A really sad development of our evolution or the evolution of some. And certainly not restricted to Thailand.

People who are involved on a daily basis in stressful jobs where death blood and carnage are encountered, need a release, their brains cannot cope with this all the time. That is where black humour (perhaps an inappropriate phrase) comes in, a distraction from this carnage. It has been happening for centuries, invented or evolved with the horrors of war and death.

We have seen British servicemen posing, drinking with the enemies they had just killed in Malaysia

We have seen the same photographs of Americans in Vietnam doing the same.

More recently, pictures released and displayed on the internet from the interrogation centres in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

And everything in between, the above are extreme cases where the public have had access. If you have never seen photos of this kind, think yourself lucky. IMHO, this does not necessarily make these people bad people. Without a doubt stupid, but not always bad.

As stated above, this is in no way defense of what they have done, but a possible explanation of why it was done. Again, IMHO, the public apology in my view is tasteless, it should have been a face-to-face apology to the family of the deceased instead of a hospital doing a damage control exercise.

• Like 1

The thing is that you can't help believing that she has a beaming smile behind the mask.

What type of person acts like this? Does she have an agenda? Why take this photo? Disgusting, disgusting....

a person with personal experience of the thai army and governments actions in the area?

or perhaps as another person said someone with a personal connection to tak bai?

The south is in the midst of a long-ignored cilvil war. She is posing over the corpse of the enemy.

Utter nonsense and baseless supposition. They took an oath as a nurse. It begins and ends right there.

I disagree, the picture itself seems to indicate that even healthcare professionals are at heart human and react accordingly.

would you be quite so offended if they were posing over the corpse of bin laden or quadaffi?

Well they wouldn't pose with those people. It would be another faith other than muslim doing the posing and there would be far greater outcry from the Islamic community than there has been on here.

I disagree, the picture itself seems to indicate that even healthcare professionals are at heart human and react accordingly.

would you be quite so offended if they were posing over the corpse of bin laden or quadaffi?

Would you be quite so blase if it was a member of your family?

They should be struck off for life and made to pay all of their life savings to the victim's family as an apology and as a punishment and humiliation.

Then they should be made to do 12 months hard labour for their public indecency. Scum.

Edited by Malthus101

You're prevaricating. Stick to the subject. Surely at some stage in their years of training these people would have learnt professional behaviour. There is no "moment of weakness" involved here. They are simply not professional. Working in a hospital can be stressful, so attitude is all important. It's clear they do not have the attitude.

You're correct; it wasn't meant to offend anybody. At least it wouldn't offend the audience it was meant for. Somehow the photo got into the hands of people who don't celebrate the death of a non-Muslim policeman and now that they're caught, they are sorry they got caught. They are probably heroes in their village and with all the haters/terrorists.

I've taken thousands of photos of Thai ladies and the only sign they make with their hands is thumb and forefinger by the cheek, James Bond style. Until this photo, I have never seen the 'victory' sign flashed by a Thai female. Since it is so prevalent, perhaps you, and some of the other posters who claim this is so prevalent can post some photos of young Thai women flashing the 'victory' sign. Until then, I thing you are pulling is out of your a**.

Off topic, but URL below linking to Thais with V sign in photos - don't know where you do your photography, but it is a very common gesture in Thailand, including females in my Thai family whose photos I will not post.

http://www.thaisabai.org/2009/09/the-thai-two-finger-salute/