East Pattaya Motorbike Taxi Driver killed in Jomtien Road Crash

webfact

East Pattaya Motorbike Taxi Driver killed in Jomtien Road Crash

crash-38.jpg

PATTAYA: -- During the evening rush hour on Wednesday a Motorbike Taxi Driver working in East Pattaya was killed after his bike hit the side of a car which is suspected of jumping a red traffic light.

Police and rescue services made their way to the crash scene at the Tepprasit Road junction on the Sukhumvit Road to deal with the crash which led to the death of Khun Toi aged 60 who works from a Taxi Rank in Soi Kaotalo.

Despite wearing a safety helmet he suffered a catastrophic head injury and was declared dead-at-the-scene. Also at the scene was a damaged White Toyota Altis. The driver was identified as Khun Teerasak aged 27 who denied allegations he jumped a red traffic light despite confirmation from independent witnesses who described the cause of the crash to Police investigators.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/107466/east-pattaya-motorbike-taxi-driver-killed-jomtien-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-31

jumping red traffic light is a national sport in Thailand ...... a friend of mine has his car crushed because of a truck which didnt stop at the red light on sukhumvit in pattaya few months ago ..beside the CCTV which proved the fact , owner of the tuck denied allegation. I have drive for 20 years in the LOS and seen so many people jumping at red light ... nothing new

• Like 2

It's absolutely amazing to see situations where traffic-light jumpers are doing their thing even seconds after their direction got "red".

And please don't use your horn or show any other sign of disapproval.........they have no freakin' clue about what they did wrong.

Hope that if proven the book is trown at him. I hate traffic light jumpers, I always make sure I am not the first to go at a traffic light when on the bike it can be fatal.

Just make sure you have a clear line of sight to all lanes before going anywhere.

I have seen personally twice seen people get hit where either 1 or 2 bikes have already crossed, or started to move then stopped, others take this as ok clear to go, only to be hit by a headlight flashing car way after the red.

Its one thing to creep an extra couple of cars through at close distance and low speed in heavy traffic.

Disgusting these high speed jumpers flashing their lights WAY after the red.

It's absolutely amazing to see situations where traffic-light jumpers are doing their thing even seconds after their direction got "red". And please don't use your horn or show any other sign of disapproval.........they have no freakin' clue about what they did wrong.

I recall that 10 years or so ago they did a test with TEN red light camera's for ONE month installed at major intersections in Bangkok.

They had 76.000 offenders caught on camera by the end of the month.

Hope that if proven the book is trown at him. I hate traffic light jumpers, I always make sure I am not the first to go at a traffic light when on the bike it can be fatal.

Same same. Let the other motorcyclist go first.

Look both ways when crossing a one way street and then look upwards. Beware of falling farangs.

Red and green lights are merely "suggestions" here, as there is no traffic law enforcement. And no standard for what is acceptable as to quality of helmet. Throw the book (maybe more like a notepad) at driver. Pay off the family a good chunk of change at a minimum (tho that is often maximum here, as we know).

In Pattaya running a red light seems to be a very frequent occurrence.

For example if you just stand on the corner of second road and Pattaya Klang , you will see an enormous number of drivers that continue driving along second road well after the traffic light has turned red.

You will see huge numbers of tourists waiting patiently to cross the road at this point, including many Russians and Indians who are not familiar with the driving habits of Pattaya motorists and I have seen far too many near misses.

This is despite the fact that there is a police box on the same corner manned with at least two police officers most of the time but they are usually too preoccupied booking motorcyclists that don't have a helmet or have made a left turn on a red light.

In Pattaya running a red light seems to be a very frequent occurrence.

For example if you just stand on the corner of second road and Pattaya Klang , you will see an enormous number of drivers that continue driving along second road well after the traffic light has turned red.

You will see huge numbers of tourists waiting patiently to cross the road at this point, including many Russians and Indians who are not familiar with the driving habits of Pattaya motorists and I have seen far too many near misses.

This is despite the fact that there is a police box on the same corner manned with at least two police officers most of the time but they are usually too preoccupied booking motorcyclists that don't have a helmet or have made a left turn on a red light.

That is because checking motorcyclist is easy money.. it takes more time and effort to stop red light jumpers so the per minute reward is less. The Thai police does not care about safety in general they care about getting as many tickets in a short period.

• Like 1

As stated above the Red-Green lights are just a suggestion here in Thailand. Weather crossing on foot or starling across

an intersection controlled by a light carefully check the way is clear. Cars and bikes will come through 3-5 seconds after

the the light has turned green in your favour.

"Red and green lights are merely "suggestions" here, as there is no traffic law enforcement. And no standard for what is acceptable as to quality of helmet. Throw the book (maybe more like a notepad) at driver. Pay off the family a good chunk of change at a minimum (tho that is often maximum here, as we know)."

Certainly agree with the problems regarding quality helmets. Sure good imported helmets are available but they are heavily taxed making the prices outrageous.

What sort of government would put such ridiculous taxes on safety devices??

• Like 1

It's absolutely amazing to see situations where traffic-light jumpers are doing their thing even seconds after their direction got "red". And please don't use your horn or show any other sign of disapproval.........they have no freakin' clue about what they did wrong.

Joe......I am sure that they "do" have a clue as to what they are doing......but they don't give a "flying.....you know what"

They are just plain selfish........and care not a bit for others.

When I see it happening, my thoughts are...... "kill yourself if you want to....but don't kill innocent people"

That is because checking motorcyclist is easy money.. it takes more time and effort to stop red light jumpers so the per minute reward is less. The Thai police does not care about safety in general they care about getting as many tickets in a short period.

I dont see this. It should only take a couple of minutes to issue a hefty ticket (5000B?) to someone running a red light or breaking some other law at a junction. In fact I would have thought that a policeman at any junction in Pattaya could pay his own salary for the day in a matter of minutes, the driving here being so bad.

The main problem is that the penalties for traffic violations (if they are even applied) are just absurdly low.

"Red and green lights are merely "suggestions" here, as there is no traffic law enforcement. And no standard for what is acceptable as to quality of helmet. Throw the book (maybe more like a notepad) at driver. Pay off the family a good chunk of change at a minimum (tho that is often maximum here, as we know)."

Certainly agree with the problems regarding quality helmets. Sure good imported helmets are available but they are heavily taxed making the prices outrageous.

What sort of government would put such ridiculous taxes on safety devices??

The Thai govt.