tips for luxury look in house...

I don't want to get in an argument with you, but I have over 300 m² of sandstone fitted at my house. Fitted on the wall that is, not laid on he floor.

In a lucky day a subcontractor paid per m² would fit 25 - 30 m² with 2 people fitting, that is straight lined up which is not so easy 5 x 20 cm tiles that are all a few mm different in size , however they would also need someone to serve him with the cement. That is 1200 baht a day to share with 3 people ?

These days a decent building craftsman gets 1000 Baht ( and more ) a day in Bangkok. Still, 200 Bht/m² is kinda robbery but it include using their own tools and we are in Pattaya where every foreigner has a money tree in his garden.

I think there's two keywords here: Pattaya and Farang wink.png

We're talking about 3-5mm of latex cement here, no stones, not pouring posts or slabs, so 10 mins per hour mixing, 50 mins laying and it's a one-man job. Also, look around for tiles that are of equal sizes (they exist) - trimming every tile is a huge waste of time. We also push our contractors - no-one on our sites works at their own speed, they work at our speed smile.png

I know the ones equal in size exist, but not at 170Bht. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Buying the sandstone straight from the producers in Sikhio, I know what is available at 170 Bht ( excluded delivery )

Also don't know why you keep mentioning laying, while i'm talking about fitting on walls, which involves scaffolding which has to be moved constantly and on which you can store a limited amount of stones and cement.

And i know Pattaya and Farang are unfavorable keywords, but these days all the isaan workers that have a bit of building knowledge, are in Bangkok where they get paid +1000 Baht a day.

Anyway,you are definitely the one I'm gonna contact when i build my next house biggrin.png

OK, well, what do I know? smile.png

I only ever get involved in the projects where farang are involved, because I've got the best English in the family. That and projects for in-laws... It's not my day job, but obviously is yours tongue.png

It's not a day job for me either, but I built a house and took care of every detail involved. Learned a lot that way, which will be applied for my next build.

I don't say you're not knowledgeable either, I only think you're a little confused with the price of certain items.

But you can double check, and if correct, you can count in a new customer in about 8 months .biggrin.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jbrain, what are planning on building next? Bigger, better, new location or all of the above?

Still looking for the ideal location, will not be bigger, land size maybe even slightly smaller, but as I said I've learned a lot from the first built and that will be applied.

Will also not work with a general contractor as previously.

It's not a day job for me either, but I built a house and took care of every detail involved. Learned a lot that way, which will be applied for my next build.

I don't say you're not knowledgeable either, I only think you're a little confused with the price of certain items.

But you can double check, and if correct, you can count in a new customer in about 8 months .biggrin.png

Appreciate your POV. My family's business is property development, and I guess we've built 1500-1600 houses in the past 20 years. I'm in the automotive industry though, so only help out on occasions, and watch the books, so unlikely I'd have the insight of someone like yourself wai2.gif

As for building, except for some family projects we only develop our own moo bans - we don't do general contracting.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Appreciate your POV. My family's business is property development, and I guess we've built 1500-1600 houses in the past 20 years. I'm in the automotive industry though, so only help out on occasions, and watch the books, so unlikely I'd have the insight of someone like yourself wai2.gif

As for building, except for some family projects we only develop our own moo bans - we don't do general contracting.

As for building, except for some family projects we only develop our own moo bans -

Any chance i can become a member of the extended family ? Keep in mind I'm quite picky............ and that's probably why I'm single biggrin.png

Hey krisb ... what have you taken on-board to include in your build?

Our house is 1 big rectangle literally. I knew they can't stuff up too much with this shape. So the lounge is the front of the house approx 1 third. Reason for this is I like the view. I like Naam's glass aluminium doors. I like 3 metre ceilings. I like the way Neversure finished his collumns. Morakots use of doors as windows is good. Lots of good ideas so far. I'm considering using big windows across the front of the house, something close to floor to ceiling but not quite that big.

Lots of food for thought....

Our house is 1 big rectangle literally. I knew they can't stuff up too much with this shape. So the lounge is the front of the house approx 1 third. Reason for this is I like the view. I like Naam's glass aluminium doors. I like 3 metre ceilings. I like the way Neversure finished his collumns. Morakots use of doors as windows is good. Lots of good ideas so far. I'm considering using big windows across the front of the house, something close to floor to ceiling but not quite that big.

Are you going for a traditional or modern look?

More traditional outside, more kind of modern inside. Traditional inside to me means a bucket of cold water for a shower. I've kind of had enough of them. We have put traditional wood carving around like the lanna style and pitched the roof up 2 metres in a Thai style so far. Windows will be aluminium though. I don't want to look after the timber windows and I'd like to have fly screens on them.

Make sure the flyscreens are on the correct side. smile.png

My pet peeve are sliding doors where the sliding part is on the outside.

Thailand is sometimes really an opposite world

Agree 100%. It absolutely drives me nuts, far more so than it should really.

Another consideration: Homes here are typically left looking unfinished due to a lack of trim, particularly around windows and doors. Baseboards that are neither vinyl nor wildly out of proportion to the rest of the room are a good next step after trimming openings. If the style of your interior lends itself to it, also consider crown molding and chair rails. I feel all the trim should be of a lighter color or shade than the walls (the norm in the US though the opposite seems more common here). I also feel as if white walls look a bit industrial or unfinished. Lighter colors lend warmth and look great with contrasting trim while still keeping the interior bright. Of course, interior design is very subjective but you wouldn't find a new home with no trim and white walls in the US outside of habitat for humanity homes.

Shutters are also something to consider (even if they are non-functional). Homes just look naked without them to my eye.

Landscaping is really something worth doing. So many new homes here look like building sites for years afterward as many never bother to plant anything around their homes or even put down stones. If nothing else, a little landscaping can prevent the staining of exterior walls by splashing mud. Lots of low to nearly-no maintenance options are available.

Since you've already started construction I tried to stick to things you can still address that would add, if not exactly luxury, at least a finished look. If the walls aren't yet up I would also suggest positioning openings opposite one another to aid in ventilation (obvious but many here seem to miss it) and considering placing doors in places you might otherwise place windows so you can effectively increase your living space in nice weather by better access to the outdoors. I'm a fan of grid between glass doors and windows and dislike tinted products but that is very much a matter of personal taste.

If your budget is running tight I would suggest something that many will disagree with: skimp on the bathrooms and kitchen. The reason being that those are the most expensive rooms in a home but it is easy to upgrade their fixtures (the expensive part) later on as funds are available. Just make sure the plumbing is where you will want it when you have the opportunity to upgrade (don't forget potential future wet-bar locations).

These are, of course, just my opinions and tastes vary but I do hope I might have provided you with a few options to consider that you may not have been aware of.

considering placing doors in places you might otherwise place windows so you can effectively increase your living space in nice weather by better access to the outdoors.

YES! +1000, we have opening windows on 2 sides and a 4.5m folding door linking the lounge to the terrace, it is rarely closed even at night.

If your budget is running tight I would suggest something that many will disagree with: skimp on the bathrooms and kitchen.

My lady wife would disagree on the quality of the kitchen, nothing but the best appliances, then she sits outside with the charcoal burner sad.png

I like Naam's house. Can we see more?

some pictures exist in the thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/257672-finished-house-picture-views-and-gardens-welcome/page-10

revised floorplan (maid room converted to workshop/store, separate small staff house) and 6 year old picture from outside. now house hardly visible because the trees have grown.

1018A.JPG

Home.jpg

• Like 1

More traditional outside, more kind of modern inside. Traditional inside to me means a bucket of cold water for a shower. I've kind of had enough of them. We have put traditional wood carving around like the lanna style and pitched the roof up 2 metres in a Thai style so far. Windows will be aluminium though. I don't want to look after the timber windows and I'd like to have fly screens on them.

You can get bug screens on wood windows, but yes, unless paying big Baht for the top-shelf wood windows, aluminum is the most cost effective and durable option IMHO. Pay special attention to the profiles they use though - there's a lot of poorly designed ones out there that leak air and/or water.

• Like 1

Make sure the flyscreens are on the correct side. smile.png

My pet peeve are sliding doors where the sliding part is on the outside.

Thailand is sometimes really an opposite world

I dare say if you are on the 30th floor of a condo your pet peeve is true.

Meanwhile back in rural Thailand, the screens are on the inside to prevent yaba addicts and thieves from stealing them.

Another thing for the OP to consider, his plumbing, I hate it when I am upcountry and having a shower, someone starts to water plants or do washing outside, water pressure drops to a trickle.