Shocking Price Rises At Phoenix Golf Club Pattaya

golfmadstudent

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest new from the course today is that the numbers are " unbelieveably " down for the first week of January.

. I believe that golfers that have previously arranged to play golf at Phoenix,will play when they arrive as it is to late to find somewhere else to play.But they won't play there again, same goes for organised tour groups,as time goes on less and less will play which is what is happening now.It was always going to take time for the boycott to gain momentum.

Update on Thai-Ger Line golf.

Having sent an email to Thai-Ger Line asking if they were playing at Phoenix Golf & Country Club, I received the following reply;

" I can assure you that I have not played Phoenix for about 4 month! "

To clarify the above reply I again emailed and asked if they had organised groups to Play at Phoenix since November 1st. To which I received the following reply;

" Yes "

First off let me thank them for their replies. But it would have been nice to hear they had alerted their clients to the situation at Phoenix and notified them that Thai-Ger Line Golf was not offering packages to Phoenix at the moment but still provided wonderful alternatives around the Pattaya area.

Update on Thai-Ger Line golf.

Having sent an email to Thai-Ger Line asking if they were playing at Phoenix Golf & Country Club, I received the following reply;

" I can assure you that I have not played Phoenix for about 4 month! "

To clarify the above reply I again emailed and asked if they had organised groups to Play at Phoenix since November 1st. To which I received the following reply;

" Yes "

First off let me thank them for their replies. But it would have been nice to hear they had alerted their clients to the situation at Phoenix and notified them that Thai-Ger Line Golf was not offering packages to Phoenix at the moment but still provided wonderful alternatives around the Pattaya area.

. It seems that he personally has not played there (it seems that he is a member)but he is still taking some groups there.Double standards ? I looked at there site and under there daily trips Phoenix has not been listed since September.Hopefully his recent trips to Phoenix are long standing bookings.I would be surprised if they have clients that are willing to pay 3450 baht + caddy tip + Thai Gerline transport costs. Edited by Fisherman194

Can we have an update from members who reside on the course as to what you are observing on a day-to-day basis please.

I reside on the course and have been monitoring the situation daily. Pattaya's golfers continue to boycott Phoenix. From Nov. 1 until last weekend there was a steady shocking decline in the # of golfers, I would count less than 50 golfers on

the Mountain course each morning, and less in the afternoon. After 3:00 pm the only players were the Phoenix marshals

and staff killing time until going home.

In the last few days, business has improved, but this is a result of an invasion of Korean tourists delivered by unscrupulous Bkk golf tour operators motivated by big commissions and kickbacks from Phoenix. Today, Sunday, the course was operating at about 40-50 % capacity, but very quiet after 3:00 pm. The parking lot contained few cars with Chonburi # plates. Most vehicles have Bkk plates. There were around 15 mini vans and 3 large golf tour buses. Most of these seemed to be from Bkk and were catering to Korean tourists.

With the low season starting in 2 months, this business is not sustainable. When the visitors learn that they have been ripped off by the greedy tour operators requiring them to pay the shocking fees at Phoenix, it is unlikely that they will return.

Gross mismanagement and bad decisions by the new owner have ruined Phoenix's reputation for "good value," and it was

never a very friendly place. Price sensitive local golfers are discovering better value and more hospitality at other local courses.

Most of the problems could have been avoided through due diligence, and consultation with the membership. It will require

vastly improved public relations, cancellation of the compulsory cart rule, competitive pricing and aggressive marketing to

save this sinking ship. A little respect for their customers might go a long way. Complete course renovations, spiff up

the club house and improve staff morale before even considering raising fees (including hidden fees).

Edited by POLAR VORTEX

Yes I do have a house on the course but a little pre-occupied finishing it at the moment to sit and monitor on a 24hr basis!

However......I do notice very steady trade on the course from weekends 0700 to 1500 and even today (Monday) which I believe always used to be one of the quieter days was fairly busy.........attitude in the office seems to be......."they (that's you out there!)

don,t understand what we are trying to do"........ie. charge double and get rid of the farang golf groups etc......and keep the lovely Koreans and naive holiday golfers who may not be aware of better deals elsewhere.....obviously most people will be looking forward to Plan B come the end of March.......but in the meantime I,m sure the management will be taking advantage of the BK shutdown as thousands of Thais exit to pastures Phoenix.

Monday and Tuesday have been dramatically quieter than Sat. and Sunday.

When I drove around the 27 holes, at about 11:30 each day, I saw fewer than

50 golfers with large gaps between the groups. Most of the golfers were visitors

from Korea.

There were very few cars in the parking lot, but there were 6 or 7 vans and 2 or 3

large tour buses each day. It was very disappointing to see one of the vans from

Thai-Ger Line Golf. They continue to support the new management to the disadvantage

of their customers.

I too was surprised by Fabian's attitude at Thai-Ger Golf Line. As he himself is a member and is fully aware of the ongoing situation with Phoenix management, I thought he would guide his clients to play alternative courses in the region. I understand that his business is golf trips for his clients. But, he should be informing his clients about the situation and offering them choices. I am sure that once clients are aware of the situation, that they would be happy to play elsewhere. All it would require is the information from Fabian or others in his company to his clients.

I assume, the new owners bought Phoenix Golf & Counrty Club Pattaya Co Ltd, respectively the remaining shares.

My share certificate states, that I have 1 share of a total of 23,850, so roughly 1,300 members own 1,300 shares of a total of 23,850 shares, which leaves the new owners with 22,550 shares. Members will not have much say, unless the bylaws say differently.

However I do not see, how the validity of a share can be reduced to 25 years, as stated before.

My wife just translated the last meeting for me. Apparently the new majority shareholders decided to reduce a membership to 25 years.

They might be able to legally do that, but the member would still be a shareholder and owner of the Ltd, unless they buy back his share.

Members own roughly 5% of the company shares. Members should find out, what assets this company had and has to get some kind of leverage against the new majority shareholders.

My wife just translated the last meeting for me. Apparently the new majority shareholders decided to reduce a membership to 25 years.

They might be able to legally do that, but the member would still be a shareholder and owner of the Ltd, unless they buy back his share.

Members own roughly 5% of the company shares. Members should find out, what assets this company had and has to get some kind of leverage against the new majority shareholders.

j Andreas you seem to have missed out on a lot of developements, there is a members group that have fought the new Phoenix managements rule changes.Send Bartpix a private message urgently because the group need a copy of your membership details within the next few days,do not delay as you may not get the benefits that it is hoped will be granted.

To all members out there that have the following list of items and want to participate in the action group, please PM me with details ASAP. We are making headway with management over the rights for our shareholder / members and because of missing / wrong information held by the original owners + SCB, the new owners legally require proof of your member status ( there appears to be a number of different memberships offered through the years) to return your full rights and privileges.

If you want to join in this and forward you details as outlined below please PM me straight away.

Items required ASAP

1. Copy of Share Certificate - Front
  2. Copy of Share Certificate - Rear
  3. Copy of Transfer Form
  4. Copy of Membership Card

To all members out there that have the following list of items and want to participate in the action group, please PM me with details ASAP. We are making headway with management over the rights for our shareholder / members and because of missing / wrong information held by the original owners + SCB, the new owners legally require proof of your member status ( there appears to be a number of different memberships offered through the years) to return your full rights and privileges.

If you want to join in this and forward you details as outlined below please PM me straight away.

Items required ASAP

1. Copy of Share Certificate - Front
  2. Copy of Share Certificate - Rear
  3. Copy of Transfer Form
  4. Copy of Membership Card

What about the members that do not have their original share certificates. I know my missus has not got hers but has her card which has her membership number on it.

Remember some of these people have been members there for many a year & well stuff like this can get lost. Would not membership card & number be enough??

Items required ASAP

• Copy of Share Certificate - Front
  • Copy of Share Certificate - Rear
  • Copy of Transfer Form
  • Copy of Membership Card
What about the members that do not have their original share certificates. I know my missus has not got hers but has her card which has her membership number on it.

Remember some of these people have been members there for many a year & well stuff like this can get lost. Would not membership card & number be enough??

Bartpix is the person to answer you but get together whatever you have as a matter of urgency.Anything that goes towards proving you are a member or shareholder.

It seems that through the years at Phoenix with the various owners, the groundrules with membership quietly changed. Hence the need by the new owners to verify exactly what you bought.

As regards missing items from the 4 mentioned - please send all you DO have. I'm guessing that they would deal with the members with full details first and carry on from there.

A BIG thanx to all you members that submitted your details as requested. The lawyers present them on Monday. So things are moving along at a rapid pace for Thailand.

I have just read on the Phoenix action group site that they have had a little short of 200 sets of Documents amazing in such a short space of time.

We have young professional golfers visiting us. They are preparing to play on tours

in Korea and Japan. They play over 27 holes every day, and do additional jogging,

cycling, etc. When they were told by Phoenix that there is a new compulsory golf cart

requirement, we had to take them to the Thai Navy course.

Soon they will relocate to Baan Chan to be closer to Eastern Star, Emerald, Green

Valley and the Navy courses. They will not return to Phoenix as long as the shocking

prices and new cart rule are in place.

We have young professional golfers visiting us. They are preparing to play on tours

in Korea and Japan. They play over 27 holes every day, and do additional jogging,

cycling, etc. When they were told by Phoenix that there is a new compulsory golf cart

Soon they will relocate to Baan Chan to be closer to Eastern Star, Emerald, Green

Valley and the Navy courses. They will not return to Phoenix as long as the shocking

OR Laem Chabang, Burapha, Siam CC or Plantation, Silky Oak or St Andrews !!

ALL of which have compulsory cart rules !! for normal visitors (& members in some cases)

The cart rule & "shocking prices" are 2 separate issues for non members,

please don't try to sensationalize it any more & make it something it is not !!

OR Laem Chabang, Burapha, Siam CC or Plantation, Silky Oak or St Andrews !!

ALL of which have compulsory cart rules !! for normal visitors (& members in some cases)

The cart rule & "shocking prices" are 2 separate issues for non members,

please don't try to sensationalize it any more & make it something it is not !!

You do understand that apart from the increase in green fees an increase in caddy fees carts are compulsory for ONE person only.As a guest of a member you used to get a 50% discount that also was reduced.

Thanks thaijett for the info. We will notify our friends, so they don't get

ripped off by the high prices at those other courses.The new cart rule

at Phoenix includes a significant new charge for an unnecessary service.

The issues are intertwined and combine to result in Shocking Price Rises.

Phoenix had a reputation for good value. With the course in the midst

of renovation and the club infrastructure in bad need of repair, it is a poor

time for them to drive away their customer base through unwanted services

and Shocking Price Rises..

Competition among tour operators will soon expose new management's

exclusive focus on revenue at the expense of a good reputation. They

may gloat about all the potential revenue for the golf cart concessionaire,

but the key word is "potential". Not much return on investment, if most of

the carts are parked most days!

Thaijett you have previously negatively commented on this subject,you have stated you play at Phoenix 2 or 3 times a year,if the members and none members like me are successful in getting charges reduced you will benefit.This forum is one of the mediums they have used to garner support,very successfully.Please if you can't be supportive save your snide comments for another less worthy subject.

Thaijett you have previously negatively commented on this subject,you have stated you play at Phoenix 2 or 3 times a year,if the members and none members like me are successful in getting charges reduced you will benefit.This forum is one of the mediums they have used to garner support,very successfully.Please if you can't be supportive save your snide comments for another less worthy subject.

Oh Fisherman194 , PLEASE forgive me for having a different opinion from yours, which (of course) is correct & should be the only 1 allowed on this forum.

That my opinion differs from others does NOT give you the right to attempt censure of my comments.

So I will say to you, "Please if you can't be supportive stop whining passifier.gif , save your snide comments relentless whinging for another less worthy subject someone who values your opinion" !!!

crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png

Oh Fisherman194 , PLEASE forgive me for having a different opinion from yours, which (of course) is correct & should be the only 1 allowed on this forum. Can't be bothered !

That my opinion differs from others does NOT give you the right to attempt censure of my comments.

So I will say to you, "Please if you can't be supportive stop whining passifier.gif , save your snide comments relentless whinging for another less worthy subject someone who values your opinion" !!!

crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkU.png

if the members and none members like me are successful in getting charges reduced you will benefit.

Other Phoenix "Action" members have made it clear on ohter forums that this action will potentially benefit members and their guests only. This is a dispute between members and a golf club only and you appear to expect other people to feel buty bound to have sympathy for you.

PS I recollect a few years ago that Phoenix was pressurised into increasing its PSC card rates following a complaint from a member who thought the rate was too low compared to "guest" rates.

What comes around goes around.

finsbury, we would appreciate your support, as we will support other golfers

faced with hostile takeovers by equally evil intentioned new management. The

point here is to alert the local golfing community to the shocking situation at

Phoenix. The Consumer Protection Board has confirmed that new management

is cheating the existing members. Do you think Phoenix will stop there?

The new policies are leaving Phoenix staff terrorized about their job security,

Caddies have so little work, that they can no longer support themselves. The

Phoenix area vacation home rental market has collapsed, as visitors go elsewhere

for good value and hospitality.

Informed golfers have learned that visitors are also subjected to higher prices by

a golf facility that is currently offering only a mediocre experience dictated by a far

away owner, in a drunken stupor. Every day the empty parking lot at Phoenix proves

that golfers are making better choices.

"Pressurized" What possible pressure could a single member bring to bear on Phoenix?

If you believe management's justification for the PSC fee increase, maybe you would

believe that they have some excellent new Golden memberships for sale for the bargain

price of ...(Be sure to read the fine print which, of course, is only written in Thai).

They did not listen to the members concerns before, as they are not listening to them now.

They increase fees on a whim, without regard to market conditions, and justify them

with whatever explanation they think you will believe. Greed, pure greed.

If you are looking for good value, avoid Phoenix. if you don't care, then play on finsbury.

finsbury, we would appreciate your support, as we will support other golfers

faced with hostile takeovers by equally evil intentioned new management.

If you are looking for good value, avoid Phoenix. if you don't care, then play on finsbury.

In terms of Phoenix's proposal for the membership transfer fee, you have my and probably everyone else's support. You should be concentrating on that as I do not really see a viable future for many of the existing members at Phoenix. Not based on your views of the management anyway.

In terms of playing at Phoenix I would guess many of the societies would still run back there (or shuffle anyway) if the sportsday rate from May is anything like what it was last year.