Desk PC

hellodolly

Am looking for a new desk cumputer. Have been looking at ther HP one with out the tower. I realize I can not hook it up to my Television and I am OK with that.

Not big on windows 8 but seems like there is not a choice in the matter. It comes with a 3 year on location guarantee.

Not exactly sure how that would work out if I was to buy a windows 7 and have it installed.

At any rate would appreciate feed back good or bad on the computer.

All feed back greatly appreciated. Especially if some one has one.

I am more interested in games down loading movies and a few web sites like my bank's and Amazon also of course e mail and Thai Visa.

You can install Windows 7 if you want but if you don't know how to then plenty of shops will do it for you.. the problem is it will probably be a pirated copy. Better to stick to the genuine version of Windows 8 if you are going to be paying for already.

Other than games, an Intel i3 processor would do what you want.

For games, depends on what games. Even for slightly older games then an Intel i5 would be better unless by games you only mean card games.

If you have a particular new game in mind then best to Google what its requirements are. Most current games will have forums somewhere where you can ask specific questions.

For newer games you will likely need a video card rather than the on-board graphics but reading some forums or visiting the website of the game will inform you more.

Serious gamers usually end up with a custom built PC as they tend to be better value rather than off the shelf.

What is your budget?

try techradar for reviews

if your wanting something basic then any it shop usually has a setup or 8 posted on the windows ust say you want that

i was in fashion island today and saw a beast of a pc guy said its cost him 200 000 baht over time upgrading and so on

for gaming i hear i5 4th gen 4670k is the way to go i think thats the right cpu just depends on what you want it for

if you just want to download movies any thing will do

Thanks guys.

Don't really have a budget just pretty much the info I gave you. Was wondering about the durability of the HP all in one no tower.

Also I had heard that the windows 8 was not really that good. But I was thinking for my purposes it would not have to be that great with the 3 year guarantee.

I am open to suggestions. Starting to get a little cluttered up here so like the idea of all in one. Could move but love the location and the view.

I do a little work in Microsoft office word 2003 I imagine that will be improved.

I wouldn't buy an 'all in one'. When I buy I try to go a generic as possible. So things are easy to find and replace. Fine having a warranty, but that is no good if the machine is always in the shop. Can't fit much in the way of decent graphics for games in an all in one.

• Like 1

I too am not sure about an all-in-one unless you're stuck for space. It has all the disadvantages of a laptop and none of the advantages.

I'm still using the same mini-tower I bought some 8 years ago, mind you the only original bit left is the case smile.png

• Like 1

I am sure HP is fine, just I would never but HP again, stating that 2 years ago went back on that and bought a HP Fax machine, 1st 5 months was without if for 3 x 10 days and machine was replaced 3 time with another new one... at 1 year old it had been back 7 times, I had the machine at home maybe a total of 5 months, the rest of the time was being repaired.. for me that was 7 x driving 80 KM to get it repaired and another 80 KM to pick it up weeks later x 7 !!!!!!!!! so it really is the last time 100% I will ever buy HP again.

month ago rebuilt my PC, thought why not give Window 8 a try, now updated to 8,1 so has start menu, I like it, so will not be going back to Win 7..

Office 2003........ try Kingsoft is FREE........ have used Open Office FREE for years with Office 2007.... now have both Kingsoft and open office on this PC, see no reason to pay MS

Wow just the thread I needed......... Thanks

I want a new home computer---and I don’t really want a package one---but then I don’t really know enough to know what I want.

If that makes any sense.

I had a friend help me do the last one about 6 years ago----sadly he has passed on, & I am a bit of a computer blond. I do not need a monitor but want to spend between 15-20 K .

I download a lot of movies TV shows & watch them directly on a large monitor I have---so I guess a good video card, if that’s what shows the movies.

I don't know what mother board to get--and can I get more then 4 gig of ram now----I know my friend said I couldn't 6 years ago--

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I want a new home computer---and I don’t really want a package one---but then I don’t really know enough to know what I want.

If that makes any sense.

I had a friend help me do the last one about 6 years ago----sadly he has passed on, & I am a bit of a computer blond. I do not need a monitor but want to spend between 15-20 K .

I download a lot of movies TV shows & watch them directly on a large monitor I have---so I guess a good video card, if that’s what shows the movies.

I don't know what mother board to get--and can I get more then 4 gig of ram now----I know my friend said I couldn't 6 years ago--

What I built for myself less than a year ago for exactly the same reasons you gave - connected to an LED TV.

CPU - AMD 10 5800k

MB - ECS A85F2 Deluxe

HDD - WD Green - 2TB

Ram - Kingston 8GB

Basic LG Optical Drive

Basic Case

Fan because the one that came with the case had the wrong socket

It was very cheap, and it works very well.

This is what I'll be building for my daughter this weekend - to watch cartoons, play Gamehouse games, practice what she's learning at school and do her homework.

CPU - AMD A8 6600K

Same MB as above - very cheap now

Ram - 4GB

Basic Optical Drive

Basic Case

HDD - 500GB

Will cost less than your base budget - including a monitor.

Just 3 more questions -- sorry-- does that..(the MB..) include a video card

Should I get the windows 8 -- read so much bad stuff about it, and when I get do get windows, some people are posting that it is best to buy the genuine version---what do you think.

Also is a separate card needed for the HMI lead to go directly into the TV.

Opps thats 4 questions----but thank you for your time.

If that makes any sense.

most Motherboards have 4 slots for Ram, you can get single sticks of 8 GB, so could use up to 4 x 8 GB.. to use more than 3 GB of Ram you will need to use 64 bit OS, [eg: windows 64 bit]

You have a large monitor ? does it have HDMI, much better picture so need a graphics card with HDMI [video card]

AMD is a lot cheaper than Intel, just built myself a new desktop using the AMD FX 8320 CPU.....

Posted in a different Topic but maybe of use here

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P motherboard................. it only has 6 sata connections ! have now 4x HDD s and 2 sata DVD, so no spare...

Hyper-X DDR3(1866) 8GB. Kingston

AMD FX-8320 CPU

1 TB hard drive ............... total cost 10,090 baht at a local Advise IT Shop. this price was to fit these new item into my case [saved me the job with my eyes these days]

Already have so used my 9800 GTX graphics card, but was going to buy a 2GB (V) PCIe ATi 7790 'GigaByte'

Worked out if needed a good case, a good PSU, DVD etc still would have cost under 20,000 baht [same sort of spec Intel i5 would cost nearer 27,000 baht]

Could save a 1,000 baht and get the 6300 CPU, they did not have in-stock so went for a higher CPU....

+ have extra Fans fitted + change case fans to wider/thicker ones where I can, as never use Air Con... change a 1 cm thick fan to a 4 cm fan cost about 40 baht

Edited by ignis

Per the other posters, I would advise against the all-in-one unit, HP or any other. If you live in BKK best to visit Pantip Plaza and talk to some of the gents in the enthusiast shop area on the ground floor. Tell them your wants and your budget, it can be done and it will be a very decent computer if done right. If you live in Phuket send me a PM and come by our group meeting at Woodie's Sandwich Shop in Chalong on Sunday mornings.

If that makes any sense.

most Motherboards have 4 slots for Ram, you can get single sticks of 8 GB, so could use up to 4 x 8 GB.. to use more than 3 GB of Ram you will need to use 64 bit OS, [eg: windows 64 bit]

You have a large monitor ? does it have HDMI, much better picture so need a graphics card with HDMI [video card]

AMD is a lot cheaper than Intel, just built myself a new desktop using the AMD FX 8320 CPU.....

Cheaper motherboards tent to only have 2 RAM slots.

Just 3 more questions -- sorry-- does that..(the MB..) include a video card

Should I get the windows 8 -- read so much bad stuff about it, and when I get do get windows, some people are posting that it is best to buy the genuine version---what do you think.

Also is a separate card needed for the HMI lead to go directly into the TV.

Opps thats 4 questions----but thank you for your time.

Most modern motherboards that have graphics included usually have an HDMI socket. You don't really need a separate high end video card if you're just using the PC to watch movies. AMD do a range of CPUs with an APU built in which would be ok for you.

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/pages/consumer-desktops.aspx