Honda. No test drive anymore ?

undercover

Today I went into the new Honda showroom opposite the Ambassador Hotel on Sukhumvit Pattaya / Sattahip. I was hoping to test drive the new CRV. I was told by a girl sales person that Honda have a new policy of no test drives on any vehicles anymore due to people having accidents while out on test, I replied to her, how can you sell new cars if nobody can ever test drive one ? she said easy, then started laughing along with the others behind the counter. I then commented that in my opinion anyone who buys a new car and has never tested how it rides and how much noise there is may possibly regret it later, I then left.

My question is has anybody managed to get a test drive in a Honda dealer in the last few weeks ? I find it hard to believe that it is ( Honda policy ) not to now allow test drives. Also if there's anyone who has purchased the new 2013 CRV I would be interested to hear how they find it, ride quality / road noise etc as on the http://www.crvownersclub.com I was surprised to find many negative comments on the 2013 model ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to go and have a look at the new Honda CR-V my self and if I'm told at the showroom '' NO '' more test drives , then I'm straight out of the door, who in their right mind would buy a new vehicle with out actually taking one for a test drive , I can't see how Honda Thailand could implement an over all blanket policy that stops prospective customers from taking a vehicle for a test drive , Oh I forgot TIT biggrin.png

Any one bought a new CR-V and can comment , and did you test drive it ?

I can't see how Honda Thailand could implement an over all blanket policy that stops prospective customers from taking a vehicle for a test drive , Oh I forgot TIT biggrin.png

Why not? Honda and Toyota could do whatever they want! As long as the Thai car market is controlled by the Japanese car mafia nothing will change.

If there would be any competition the behaviour of sales personal "undercover" stated in his post would be impossible/suicide.

But would be really interesting to know if this is becoming reality. Or maybe they just thought that you´re no serious buyer and wanted to wave you goodbye...

I would assume it's just the local dealer's policy...or like someone said, maybe just assumed you were only a tire kicker and didn't want to waste their time. I assume the vehicles are insured so no loss to dealer if an accident.

Could contact Honda Thailand to see if it's a country wide policy.

The Nissan Almera I wanted to test drive had been in an accident, so I bought one without trying it out, as I have, come to think about it, always done over the years.

The dealers must get tired of fixing accidentally damaged cars.

My Wife has the CRV 2.4 AWD model. We didn't test drive it before buying. I didn't test drive my car either.

In my opinion sitting in it to check that it fits is good enough. The only way a test drive might help me is if I was able to have it for a weekend on a proper road trip... even then I'm not going to test drive 4 or 5 different makes or models.

I suspect its simply better to narrow down your choices, read the reviews of a number of car experts and then check out the showrooms.

If a test drive is still so important to you I'm sure it might be possible to 'pre-book' - call head office and try. This method certainly will get rid of a number of time wasters... Strolling in off the street might not be the way to get a test drive.

Regarding what I think of the CRV.

It's comfortable and practical, the wife likes it. I sometimes drive it when not in my car - its an ok car.

A car of that range is not going to be blowing anyone away with 'awsomeness'... it is what it is, a simple, well designed car that's raised like a 4x4. It rides like a car, has more space than a car, is less of a beefcake and more refined than a Fortuner or Pajero.

My Wife has the CRV 2.4 AWD model. We didn't test drive it before buying. I didn't test drive my car either.

In my opinion sitting in it to check that it fits is good enough. The only way a test drive might help me is if I was able to have it for a weekend on a proper road trip... even then I'm not going to test drive 4 or 5 different makes or models.

I suspect its simply better to narrow down your choices, read the reviews of a number of car experts and then check out the showrooms.

If a test drive is still so important to you I'm sure it might be possible to 'pre-book' - call head office and try. This method certainly will get rid of a number of time wasters... Strolling in off the street might not be the way to get a test drive.

Regarding what I think of the CRV.

It's comfortable and practical, the wife likes it. I sometimes drive it when not in my car - its an ok car.

A car of that range is not going to be blowing anyone away with 'awsomeness'... it is what it is, a simple, well designed car that's raised like a 4x4. It rides like a car, has more space than a car, is less of a beefcake and more refined than a Fortuner or Pajero.

If it's an eco car where you expect it to be unrefined and noisy, sure no need to test drive. But if considering a Honda and wanting a car that doesn't sound like you are playing white noise through a stereo that just won't switch off, a test drive might not be a bad idea :P

Heres an update to my original post, Today I took a drive to Honda Chonburi, I was offered a test drive but at this time they do not have the test vehicle that I want to test ( CRV ) I have been told that next week they will have a CRV to test, I will phone first to make sure they are correct in what they say then take a drive up there and try the CRV out.

I have also contacted Honda Thailand to ask why the dealer opposite Ambassador hotel is saying it is Honda policy not to offer test drives anymore, having read your posts about staggering in with a beer Chang and flip flops it may actually be the case that they vet each person as to if they feel he can afford a new car or not ? if so it was not my dress code that would have let me down, swastikas on my hands and tattooed face may have played a part we may never know ?

Did recently some testdrives in the Swift, Yaris and Sonic. Eyeopener. The Yaris is damned loud, compared to the Swift, similar to Almera. All 1.2l. The Sonic with 1.4l is a whole (better) world for itself. Testdrive is crucial if you wont end up with a car you hate for the rest of your life.

I bought a new Honda at the same dealer opposite the Ambassador Hotel a month ago.

I was told that they are the same owners with the other Dealership in North Pattaya, so they control

the whole market share of new Honda's from Naklua to Jomtien.

Hence why they can choose to apply their own rules on how to deal with their customers.

I already knew what i wanted and didn't ask for a test drive, their conduct towards me was very

professional and kept to their word on all their promotional offers and had my new car within 3 days

of ordering.

I would imagie in an area like Jomtien, they get fed up with Ferang Wheel Kickers calling in just to rubbish their Product.coffee1.gif .

I would think the number of Thai wheel kickers far out weighs the number of farang. Wasting retailers time is part of Thai life at every level and every trade. The point is that it is obviously NOT Honda policy to refuse test drives on all models and I doubt if Honda Thailand knows yet that the Jomptien dealership is refusing test drives.

I was refering to Ferangs who hang around Beach Areas , get a few Changs in em and do a Knowitall in the Showroom. Honda do Test Drives Full Stop.burp.gifcrazy.gif

Yes Ace of Pop I know what your saying, thinking about it that particular show room must get more than their fair share of farang from the Ambassador hotel, in general they are not the most polite or sober farang, I'm going to leave it till into the new years then go in again and see what they say even if I have bought a new car somewhere else.

Range Rover/ Land Rover had the first Showroom of any make in Jomtien , it closed after a while , every Ferang that went in" Had one Back Home ".Our Company was one of its first Customers. In those days 4WD was engaged daily, you needed it now its only for Clowns who dream its a Range Rover, and have to find somewhere to engage it. like Tescoes Speed Bumps.thumbsup.gif