Don't Stop for an Accident!

SpokaneAl

Actually the same with giving to charities.

A few years ago gave some baht to the blind man singing while being led by his wife. Then watched as they walked down the road, got into their own tuk tuk and he drove off.

So not a baht more to anyone.

Amazing how becoming more Thai makes you a more selfish, uncaring person.

Odd that, eh.

Just when I thought Thai bashing could not get any lower...............................................................................................

Read the TV rules, especially #8, then come back with some more amazing comments.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago gave some baht to the blind man singing while being led by his wife. Then watched as they walked down the road, got into their own tuk tuk and he drove off.

Odd that, eh.

Just when I thought Thai bashing could not get any lower...............................................................................................

Read the TV rules, especially #8, then come back with some more amazing comments.

He specifically signed up to troll and bash Thai's but tried to fool people of his origin.

Probably never been to Thailand laugh.png

A few years back I was in a hotel car when the pickup in front swerved into a motorcyclist, my guess -the pickup driver was drunk and weaving around dangerously. The pickup sped off.

I never stop for anyone in Thailand. Perhaps because the pickup in the instance above was a police pickup. Who do you think would get the blame if they did stop?

Thappraya Rd. Pattaya btw.

Edited by BarryM
  • Like 1

I will stop if I believe I can be of assistance and I am not unduly putting myself at risk. The latter is a judgement call.

As an example a year ago an old bloke decided to ride his bike across 3 lanes of 80km traffic without looking. I saw it happen in slow motion. The second car ahead of me collected him. I stopped, put my hazard lights on and got out to help. The traffic weaved around us.

At the same time a dreadlocked Thai motorcyclist stopped and got off to help. The drivers of the two cars in front of me were at a loss and didn't seem to know how to respond.

The motorcyclist and I took a quick look, he had a large bump on his head but was conscious. No other obvious symptoms of other damage so we moved him and his bike off the road away from the traffic and called for an ambulance to get his head checked. The motorcyclist thanked me for stopping, I reciprocated and then I drove off.

This is a sample of 1-doesn't prove anything other than you won't get ripped off everytime and you may be able to help.

• Like 2

A few years back I was in a hotel car when the pickup in front swerved into a motorcyclist, my guess -the pickup driver was drunk and weaving around dangerously. The pickup sped off.

I never stop for anyone in Thailand. Perhaps because the pickup in the instance above was a police pickup. Who do you think would get the blame if they did stop?

Thappraya Rd. Pattaya btw.

Surprisingly common for the Thai Police to flee the scene of an accident that they are involved in.

"Eyewitnesses said the police cruiser did not stop to help and instead sped away. The trailer-truck company Lak Thong Logistics Co Ltd had hired the officers to lead the motorcade. Normally, most companies hire cruisers from the Highway Police Division to do this job. However, the police cruiser, assigned to the Traffic Police Division, has disappeared. Division chief Pol Maj-General Piya Tawichai said he was looking to see if the policemen in the cruiser should also be held liable for the accident."

Link

After all, the uniform doesn't chage their stripes. ;)

Odd that, eh.

Why is it bashing if it was true?

You do not know, does happen, many beggar scams about, would not surprise me if this actually did happen.

If you have hired anyone (tuk-tuk, taxi etc) you as the passenger are also at fault legally.

Some recommendations advise to exit and quickly run in this situation.

If helping at an accident as a bystander, why not just render assistance and leave when others arrive?

Not much chance of getting caught, unless you leave locally I suppose, or are frail. There's nothing really to lose by running if you did not do anything wrong.

Ever wonder what it would be like to be a thai guy with a small tool, who sees all the good looking women with farang day in and day out?

Seems like it would cause a lot of inferiority complex and nastiness.

First paragraph is absolute crap as is the rest.

Utter nonsense.

Absolute rubbish!

I've stopped to assist at two accidents since I've been here and the people were very grateful.

If I have an accident I hope someone will assist me, but I'd rather not find out.

Why does this BS scare mongering keep popping up?

Have to agree on both counts, my Thai family once told me not to stop at an accident at night near Lop Buri, there was a bike on the middle of the road with the scrape marks on the road with no one around. one reason was that I would probably get the blame for the accident and the other was that it may be a set up for a robbery, very dark. So I did not stop.

However, I have stopped on 3 other occassions after that incident, one in Pattaya to assist a lady that had been struck by a bike and was bleading heavily, I bound her wound and had her taken by Baht bus to hospital. Another one was in Lop Buri where a car ran into the back of a truck carrying hay with a hungry board on the rear to carry excess hay. They ran their small ute into and under the rear of the truck. I pulled the driver out of the ute, his wife and their small 5yo son, all were injured and had to be taken away by ambulance. The driver of the truck tried to run away and I caught up with him and bought him back. My wife and the local Police then sorted it out and she told them what had happened and I presume all was eventually sorted. The third one was when another car side swiped me on highway 7 on the way to Pattaya, I gave chase and my wife got on the mobile and informed the Police of where we were and what type of car we were chasing. They put up a road block and caught the offender who was drunk and he was charged with a couple of offences and had to pay costs for repairs.

• Like 1

I've stopped to help a few times, no problem, at least, not for me. (Once I did not, there were lots of people around, and the "victim" was stupid.)

On the other hand, just came up to my room after having a conversation with a Thai friend whose "farang" friend had court today.

Seems he was scootering along on Koh Chang, sometime back. Minding his own business. A Thai on a scooter whizzed by, rear-ended a pickup. Go boom. Pickup keeps going. Kind farang stops to lend aid, but guy is toast.

Long story short, mother of DOA demands 200k. Cheap son.

Cops arrest farang. Farang says no. Today in court, mom says, okay, I'll walk away for 25,000. Farang pays.

Moral of story: well, you decide for yourself. 

If it was me, dear mom would run away for free.

• Like 1

Firstly - educated people in civil society stop to help others in distress unless its the very rare occasion where there are clear indications to the contrary. Secondly - if your Thai wife & Thai sis-in-law felt that you as a farang should not stop & help, nothing - absolutely nothing - was stopping these two Thai nationals from offering help - except maybe a warped sense of self-preservation.

Being with you - a farang - could not be held against them esp. if the car showed no signs of damage.

Why would the he-said, she-said of the person being helped off the ground count more than 2 Thai ladies who stopped to help?

I am reminded of what someone said - "If you think education is expensive wait till you see the costs of not having an education".

Edited by marchawkes

Granted it is a pitty that stopping to help those in need is taking a risk and the fact is it is a crap shoot on whether or not you will become the victim. I know serval Thai medical professional who do not stop for fear of the liability.

Hippocrates might have to send some reminders.....whistling.gif

Why would you care about a random stranger on the road?

Why would you not? How would you feel if the roles were reversed and everyone drove past you lying in the gutter? BUT, given it's Thailand I would not stop either as my wife said the same to me once in a similar situation, when we saw a cop lying by the side of the road (not moving). I felt bad driving off but I do understand what would quite possibly happen if I did stop. Sad state of affairs.

Odd that, eh.

He specifically signed up to troll and bash Thai's but tried to fool people of his origin.

Probably never been to Thailand laugh.png

He reminds me of another poster around here who uses 3 or 4 other usernames and always posts for shock value.

• Like 2

Absolutely right !!! No matter whether you are Thai or a foreigner , or whether you were on the scene at the time of the accident . Accidents can be staged with the intent to rob whoever stops . My thai wife recently stopped for an accident that happened some distance behind her , a drunk man on a motor

cycle carrying a guitar . My wife stopped thinking she could help and was promptly accused of causing the accident , though there was no impact or evidence to support that . It cost her BT4000 in reparations to his motor cycle . If you are a foreigner it will cost you a huge amount more , even though you had no involvement at all . A foreign man stationary in his car a red traffic light , was run into by a motor cyclist from an adjacent direction , a pillion rider was killed and the car driver was accused of dangerous driving .

Concerning the accident involving a foreign driver sitting stationary in his car, etc. Do you recollect where I can research this? The media name and approximate date would be useful. Thanks in advance.

here's my take on this subject, driving my girls sporty Honda jazz back from universal gym today on sukhumvit, being from uk I indicated to turn left and didn't expect a young kid to smash right into side of car on his bike....I shit as I seen him fly thru the air and thought oh no hes gonna be really hurt and a whole world of crap is coming my way!!! he gets up shouting in thai limping an holding his back, jacket ripped to bits cut arms, but thank god he had a lid on, anyway a taxi driver stopped woman started crowding round so I said to him lets park bike up and I take you to hospital, you can all imagine my panic....he said banlamung hospital so I take him, my girl took his id card went to desk I sat him down, about an hour later after xrays and and cuts all dressed up we head back to his bike to inspect damage!..two indicator smashed both wing mirror bent exhaust bent and scratched to f***, I had already paid the hospital bill 1200 then said how much do you want to mend bike? they were talking in thai an am thinking I don't care how much it cost am just glad hes not dead!!! he asked for 4000 and took gf number to get back in touch if it cost more....I would of give him way more....here's the best bit, 4 hours later he rang my gf and said thanks for repair there's 1100 left over!!!!!! obviously she said keep it...just shows people there are some good honest thais out there despite the slagging they get of us farrang.... anyway some of you might know him, his mum is married to a german guy and have a bar on soi 31...I will be going to that bar very soon and ring that bloody bell all night....peace out!!!

I don't get this. blink.png

Edited by arthurwait

A post using Thai script has been removed:

English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Whoops, sorry about that.

At least UptheEos can breath easier now. biggrin.png

I still don't believe you and I still think you are a troll, with the sole purpose of Thai bashing as your agenda. Almost 300 posts in 11 days since you signed up, all mostly geared to Thai bashing. You probably have several aliases.

• Like 2

What a worrying post. "Don't stop to help a fellow human being in a road accident because they could lie about you, say it was your fault and claim money".

Not sure I ever want to be part of a society where that happens as a rule. There was a story a few years ago of a 3 year old girl who got hit by a car in Beijing and 15 people walked around the wounded, bleeding and dying child, she was unfortunately hit a second time as her body was still in the road and she dies from her injuries. So, shame on anyone who behaves this way. Anyway, the possibility that you are helping someone that really needs help is worth the risk (which must be low) of you bumping into a filthy scam artist. People come first, not money.

I was sitting at the lights not long ago when 2 motorbikes collided (one jumped the lights too early),, 1 motorbike was ridden by a man with a helmet on,, the other by a woman and infant child with no helmets on.. The mother and child both hit the pavement,, thank god the child was ok, just bruised but screaming loudly and very frightened. The mother was also just bruised but obviously more worried about her child.. Did i go and see if I could help? Yes, of course i did,, and the mother was very grateful for my effort. No scamming, no problem and thankfully no one seriously hurt.

Ignore the nonsense from other posters, don't stop being part of the human race, be compassionate and behave appropriately when someone is in trouble.

Well you are a good samaritan aren't you! I think you are missing the point there. The Op was told not to stop by two natives of this country why?

So they could gain something from this or perhaps they actually knew how it rolls here and were looking out for his well being.

Stop with the BS and know when when there is a time to stop and a time to go. If i was in BKK and I saw an accident on a main rd, of course I would stop. On a back rd, no other witnesses and a single person accident, well I would think twice.