Dennis Segaller

Arsenal

I see from the Bangkok Post that Dennis Segaller has died at the age of 91.I never met Dennis but always admired him, his sunny gentle temperament and deep affection for Thailand and its people.He came to Thailand relatively late in life in his early 50's but through his publications on Thai culture one could see the pleasure and interest of this country always remained with him.To those who have not read Dennis's work do try "Thai Ways" and its companion volumes.At first I found them a little childlike but that is part of their charm and having persevered I concluded they do represent a wonderful introduction to Thai culture for the newcomer and perhaps old timer as well.

R.I.P

The Bangkok Post's Obituary.

Segaller passes away aged 91

Former Bangkok Post staffer Denis Segaller, author of the popular book Thai Ways, has passed away aged 91.

Born in London in 1915, Segaller studied physics at London University and obtained a B.Sc degree in 1935. He later found his metier in making documentary films and during World War Two he made official government training films on radar for Britain's Royal Air Force.

He joined Shell's film unit in London where he remained for the next 20 years as a director and producer of documentary, scientific and educational films.

Segaller came to Bangkok in 1965, his first visit to Asia as a film consultant. He has remained here ever since. He was later employed as staff writer and sub-editor at the Bangkok Post and Student Weekly, and earlier at its defunct sister paper the Bangkok World.

A Buddhist, Mr Segaller wrote a number of books about Thailand and its people. His book Thai Ways is a compilation of his regular weekly column in the Bangkok World beginning in 1975. It is considered an essential reference for foreigners living in Thailand. He also wrote several articles for Sawasdee, Thai Airways International's in-flight magazine. Buddhist prayer rites for him will conclude today at Wat Aiyikaram on Rangsit Klong 9, Pathum Thani. Cremation is set for 4pm tomorrow.

RIP to Dennis Segaller.

I have noticed that book before but never had the pleasure. Perhaps many of us will pick it up in his memory.

(Gentle suggestion, perhaps it would be good for people to mention their enjoyment of other expat authors while they are still alive, they might appreciate the royalties.)

RIP to Dennis Segaller.

I have noticed that book before but never had the pleasure. Perhaps many of us will pick it up in his memory.

(Gentle suggestion, perhaps it would be good for people to mention their enjoyment of other expat authors while they are still alive, they might appreciate the royalties.)

May I second that?

Dennis also was a contributer to the Bangkok Post in the 60's under the same title as his books, Thai Ways.

Once every couple of months there would be a supplement to the paper with Thai Ways, still have some back in CA, in a box.