One man's fight to save Phuket from mafia and foreign criminals

webfact

One man's fight to save Phuket from mafia and foreign criminals

cc.jpg
Chart Chindapol

PHUKET: -- Chart Chindapol is not going to let mafia elements and foreign criminals destroy the island.

Battling vice sometimes requires more than just the enforcement of the law; the power of coordination can also be helpful, as businessman Chart Chindapol has learned. Mr Chart, a businessman and adviser to the government's trade representative, feels one does not always have to jump to the front of the stage to get things done.

Mr Chart listens to problems from local entertainment and tourism business operators at a recent meeting in Phuket.

Born in Phangnga, his family is widely known in business circles in Phuket, a province he has come to know like the back of his hand.

From its early economic boom during the era of late premier Chatichai Choonhavan, Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates.

The rapid commercial development of the island province, however, has shown its less glamorous side.

Sprawling entertainment venues have brought vice. Many venues open beyond the 2am legal limit and defy the law by "paying under the table" to keep a business operating, according to entertainment operators who declined to be named.

In a recent informal meeting with Mr Chart in Phuket, the operators said some state officials connected to tourism employ mafia groups to regularly collect "tea money" from owners of nightlife venues in exchange for allowing them to stay open after 2am. Sometimes the officials come and pick up the money themselves.

Mr Chart said he met the operators to hear about their problems and expectations. He has advised Phichet Sathirachawal, the government trade representative, and the operators' complaints can then be conveyed to the government through him.

The operators feel the 2am closing time should be extended to reduce mafia influence.

However, the wishes of the operators will have to be weighed and considered by relevant authorities. Mr Chart is the messenger passing on the input from the affected parties to the government.

Nonetheless, he feels state agencies should hear the operators out and consider if certain restrictions could be reviewed to facilitate tourism.

In recent years, Phuket has been plagued with problems of mafia gangs and state authorities posing as mafia and complaints of rip-offs by local business operators. They are believed to be involved in extortion and collecting protection money from local business operators.

If left unchanged, the problems will drive Phuket's reputation into the ground, Mr Chart said.

Mr Chart, 45, says he wants to do his part and is willing to help combat the bad elements.

The task makes him the target of those who stand to lose by virtue of his actions, but he remains unfazed.

He received complaints from foreign trade representatives he had met as well as from local business operators and foreign travellers in Phuket, Phangnga and Krabi.

While local business operators have complained about extortion by local mafia gangs and unscrupulous authorities, tourists are outraged by overpriced fares charged by the so-called tuk-tuk and taxi mafia, rip-offs by jet-ski operators and other scams.

Phuket, although being a major province generating tourism revenue, is also a bolt-hole for many foreign criminals.

Unless serious efforts are made to address the problems, Phuket could be brought to its knees.

However, his aiding the authorities in dealing with vice and crime on the island province has exposed him to criticism.

"As I am trying to solve the problems, I have become 'mafia' myself in the eyes of those who are affected by my actions," Mr Chart said.

He is also liaising with the Royal Thai Police Office and the Tourism and Sports Ministry to deal with the problems and the information he receives is relayed to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

He also feels the local authorities should address land encroachment, with local mafia believed to be behind the problems. Local administration organisations should also have more say in running provincial affairs.

"I am aware that these problems cannot be solved overnight. But if nothing is done soon, Phuket will lose its status as a world-renowned tourist destination," he said.

He also plans to spend his own money on setting up a private-run complaints centre in Phuket and has vowed to press ahead with a campaign against the criminal underworld in the province.

Mr Chart is a cousin of Rewut Chindapol, the late Phuket MP who successfully led a protest in 1986 against a tantalum plant planned for Phuket.

Rewut attempted to persuade Mr Chart to enter the political arena and run for Phuket MP, but Mr Chart was not keen on politics and refused.

Mr Chart entered into a partnership in real estate in Phuket with Mr Rewat, the younger brother of Rewut.

Today, Mr Chart is co-owner of an advertising and an event-organising company as well as president of Thai Global Intertrade Co which is a major exporter of halal food to Middle Eastern Islamic countries, and several other companies.

He was only six when his father died.

At 14, he finished Mathayom 2 (eighth grade) and left home to travel the world.

He did odd jobs such as waiting on tables and working for a tour company before going back to school. He signed up for the non-formal education programme and completed the Mathayom 6 (12th grade) equivalency test.

He went on to study at Ramkhamhaeng University and obtained a bachelor's degree in political science and a master's degree in public management. He is pursuing a doctorate degree at the university.

He made his first millions while he was in the joint venture business with Mr Rewat during the Chatichai Choonhavan government when the country was at the peak of one of its property booms.

He built on his success and proceeded to co-invest with his friends in several businesses, which has now put him on a firm financial footing.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-02

• Like 1

I thought it was the authorities' responsibility to wipe out the mafia low life waste of oxygen scum.

Oh, wait a sec....

sent from my hippo phone

please save farangs from thai mafias and thai criminas and then we start speak again, hipocrits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Judging by the stories that are permanently coming out of that hole, along with the 'quality tourists' it now attracts (not to mention the ex-pats living there - JOKE <deleted>) and the fact that maybe millions of would be tourists keep away cos they've fell victim there before, I would say it's already destroyed. It's not just the criminal element down there too, the locals also seem to be hypnotised by the green stuff!

• Like 1

"Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates"

What ....?! Not the Phuket that I've been to...!!

I'm sure there will be some, "I bet you only went to Patong" replies to your post. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Judging by the stories that are permanently coming out of that hole, along with the 'quality tourists' it now attracts (not to mention the ex-pats living there - JOKE <deleted>) and the fact that maybe millions of would be tourists keep away cos they've fell victim there before, I would say it's already destroyed. It's not just the criminal element down there too, the locals also seem to be hypnotised by the green stuff!

We know it's already destroyed, but don't tell the Russians, Chinese and Indians. smile.pngsmile.png

As I said, 'quality tourists' for a 'quality' place

To solved put more companies to have competition in business in transportation, services (jet ski renting shop etc) because if monopoly the price is fixed. Last time true internet charging 599 Baht for 6 MB and 3BB offer 8 MB for the same price and now both 10 MB for just 599.00 that's I mean competition makes consumers benefit.

Edited by Bkungbank
  • Like 1

What a crock.

"Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates." Dream on sunshine.

"In a recent informal meeting with Mr Chart in Phuket, the operators said some state officials connected to tourism employ mafia groups to regularly collect "tea money" from owners of nightlife venues in exchange for allowing them to stay open after 2am. Sometimes the officials come and pick up the money themselves. Mr Chart said he met the operators to hear about their problems and expectations."

So the operators are complaining that they have to fork out to break the law, ignoring the fact that by paying bribes is against the law, thus exacerbating their own criminality by remaining open after hours.

All a bit Pythonesque don't you think?

May he has seen the light and is thinking that Phuket is going down the tubes, which would of course do no good.to his own businesses. An element of self interest there maybe.

• Like 1

"Phuket is now a world-class, seaside resort playground for foreign and domestic tourists and expatriates"

I'm sure there will be some, "I bet you only went to Patong" replies to your post. smile.pngsmile.png

Its quite obvious you guys only been to Patong. There are some gated resorts where the general public can not freely enter. There is also a world class marina with some really expensive boats, again all food is ordered in and not all are invited. He hangs out there but the Patong crowd does not.

What a pathetic post... You make it seem like the racket money is somehow a NEW thing?
Wake up sunshine, its being going on in ALL clubs in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and anywhere else the BIB stroll..
This has been going on for decades and will continue to go on for Decades...

All you need to do is go for a walk along beach road, and still see all those jetski mafia scams happening every hour, despite the bad publicity, TV shows made,
There is only one law in Thailand - and that is Green...
Im suprised a businessman would be so stupid, unless ofcourse he is a puppet working with the government to take a piece of the pie because they are higher up the chain - NOW that would make sense!

"Thai authorities have no teeth" but good at flapping their jaws.... World class except for long list of scams, crimes, etc etc.... maybe Farenggi world (Deep Space 9... almost sounds like "farang"). What is the point of having laws like 2 am curfew if you don't get paid off for ignoring? Enforcement? Yeah, right....

Its quite obvious you guys only been to Patong. There are some gated resorts where the general public can not freely enter. There is also a world class marina with some really expensive boats, again all food is ordered in and not all are invited. He hangs out there but the Patong crowd does not.

Spending your whole holiday in a "gated resort" - now that is truly a "world class" tourist destination. :) :)

• Like 2

The robberies, scams, unsolved murders, mysterious deaths, molestations and rapes, the collaboration and assistance in crimes by police ... it is reported in the news in other countries!!!... especially in the home country of the foreign visitor!!!!... and so do the 500 Baht fines and freedom for assault with a deadly weapon and the free get out of jail card for violent crimes against a person. People outside of Thailand know... why do you think foreign embassies are getting involved?

A noble attempt, but smacks of Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

I think like Nero fiddling, as Rome burned. :) :)

Look at all the press releases lately about how they are making Phuket safer and meeting with the jet-ski operators etc etc etc etc - blah blah blah.

It all means nothing whilst there in no affordable public transport here, and whilst Phuket continues to outprice itself against other destinations in Thailand, and neighbouring countries.

• Like 1

A noble attempt, but smacks of Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

I think like Nero fiddling, as Rome burned. smile.pngsmile.png

Look at all the press releases lately about how they are making Phuket safer and meeting with the jet-ski operators etc etc etc etc - blah blah blah.

It all means nothing whilst there in no affordable public transport here, and whilst Phuket continues to outprice itself against other destinations in Thailand, and neighbouring countries.

There is plenty of affordable public transport in Phuket....for tourists it is really cheap along with the booze and women.

Spending your whole holiday in a "gated resort" - now that is truly a "world class" tourist destination. :) :)

Some folks just don't want to mingle with what Phuket is famous for. If I had my own Yaht, and could afford to have my caviar delivered to my luxury sea side villa, why would i want to wonder among drunks, husslers, scammers and other undesirables?