Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

I am respected as most other normal people, don´t worry about me.

I am talking in general, I am not speaking about myself.

What I am saying is, "farang" is an objectifying word, and by increasing the use, and promoting this word, it only makes us appear more distant and more "other", than is necessary.

This in itself, makes it easer for Thais to not relate to us, scam us, and rip us off, etc.

I am talking about you. You say above that you are respected. What do you do that makes you respected that is different than most people?

I have become part of my Thai community so I don't have any problems. But what is it that you do? I speak Thai am a Buddhist and help with community projects. What do you do? I help with stray dogs getting them neutered and checked by the local vet. People here appreciate that. What do you do?

You did say you were respected, right? I told you what I do to gain that respect. What do you do?

You can complain about the darkness or light a candle. What do you do?

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened to me in Auttaya this weekend. They wanted me to pay the tourist price to visit one of the temples so i simply left.

The drivers license normally lets us get the Thai price, is this an actual law? If so, can anyone post a link? I would love to print it out and carry it with me for situations like this.

What I am saying is, "farang" is an objectifying word, and by increasing the use, and promoting this word, it only makes us appear more distant and more "other", than is necessary.

This in itself, makes it easer for Thais to not relate to us, scam us, and rip us off, etc.

I am talking about you. You say above that you are respected. What do you do that makes you respected that is different than most people?

I have become part of my Thai community so I don't have any problems. But what is it that you do? I speak Thai am a Buddhist and help with community projects. What do you do? I help with stray dogs getting them neutered and checked by the local vet. People here appreciate that. What do you do?

You did say you were respected, right? I told you what I do to gain that respect. What do you do?

You can praise Buddha as much as you want, speak Thai fluently and break your back for your community. At the end of the day you are, will always be just a farang.

You will never be respected as a Thai (even the lowest Thai), merely tolerated and when it comes down to it, will receive no more respect than Joe Whiteboy straight off the airbus at swampy.

Get used to it.thumbsup.gif

Precisely. If this guy gets run down by a truck in front of the temple, the villagers would giggle and go thru his pockets.

Edited by UncleJ
  • Like 1

You can praise Buddha as much as you want, speak Thai fluently and break your back for your community. At the end of the day you are, will always be just a farang.

You will never be respected as a Thai (even the lowest Thai), merely tolerated and when it comes down to it, will receive no more respect than Joe Whiteboy straight off the airbus at swampy.

Precisely. If this guy gets run down by a truck in front of the temple, the villagers would giggle and go thru his pockets.

I was at a funeral the other day. The 10th anniversary of an important person who had died. They asked me to carry an object in the ceremony and we walked 9 times around the Wat chanting. Finishing that we all went in the temple and the monks sat up front and chanted some more. I knelt in the front row and the people passed me 10 million baht. My contribution was 1000 baht. The people asked me to verify the count of the cash and then I handed the money to the Abbot.

I have no doubt that you know what you know and from that project what happens to you to all others. However, I'm not you.

I will die here and have my funeral here and I know at which Wat and who will attend the event. I don't live in a village. I live in a suburb of a Thai city.

You are so convinced that you are correct, so you are missing all the information given to you.

Do not worry about me, I am talking about racism, and objectification in general.

I argue that the word "farang" helps to reinforce the notion of us as something else, something other, and the more we use it, the stronger the notion becomes. And it is of no help, actually it does more harm than good.

I would have to step in and defend Thailiketoo and say that Thais sure can have respect for us. I am sure he gets respect from some of his friends in his community, what he does fail to see though, is that Thailand is very racist, and that the use and notion of the word "farang" is indeed a proof if this. Even though Thais usually means no direct harm with the word.

Yep, glad you have realised that,and him above thinks he is special rolleyes.gif . I have done all the Thai stuff and know where I stand. I love integrating but I know my place.

You are so convinced that you are correct, so you are missing all the information given to you.

Do not worry about me, I am talking about racism, and objectification in general.

I argue that the word "farang" helps to reinforce the notion of us as something else, something other, and the more we use it, the stronger the notion becomes. And it is of no help, actually it does more harm than good.

You said you are respected in Thailand. So am I. How did you earn that respect?

It's not a trick question. I don't have a problem with double pricing. I'm sure you don't either. Why don't you share how you earned that respect in Thailand.

I have found Thai people want to like us but we make it hard for them by being so culturally insensitive. How did you overcome the problem of respect that bothers so many other foreigners?

I know about me; no one else. You know about you; no one else. So tell us how you got respect.

It's not a trick question. I don't have a problem with double pricing. I'm sure you don't either. Why don't you share how you earned that respect in Thailand.

I have found Thai people want to like us but we make it hard for them by being so culturally insensitive. How did you overcome the problem of respect that bothers so many other foreigners?

I know about me; no one else. You know about you; no one else. So tell us how you got respect.

What a load of rolox. The blind will never see. laugh.png

What a load of rolox. The blind will never see. laugh.png

In what way is a load of rolox? Your post makes no sense to an adult. Or if it is the start of another flame fest why don't you remove the post as I'm sure no one wants more flaming on an already overworked system.

You keep posting the word ''flame'' rolleyes.gif . You are blind, sorry, but you are some how transfixed by what you think. I am lucky that my Thai wife has pointed me in the right direction regarding me being a farang. My eyes are now wide open and can deal with stuff, regardless of how l am/think I am accepted. smile.png

You keep posting the word ''flame'' rolleyes.gif . You are blind, sorry, but you are some how transfixed by what you think. I am lucky that my Thai wife has pointed me in the right direction regarding me being a farang. My eyes are now wide open and can deal with stuff, regardless of how l am/think I am accepted. smile.png

That makes sense to me. By the way you write I would think you are accepted and respected in Thailand. So am I. But apparently there are many folks out there who don't feel respected.

As far as I can see you and Ay,ay and myself feel respected.

I don't know you or Ay, ay so I don't know what you did to get respected.

I only know me. Why don't you tell us how you came to be accepted and respected in Thailand as that may help others.

Seems to me that would be a positive thing to do.

We are never accepted. We are all looked at as Hi-So millionaires from farangland, folk love us being at their festivities, but that is where it ends. We will never be accepted as ''family'', though folk always tell me I am family, but I know where I stand and Mrs.Trans tells me where I stand. In know way do I want to sound derogatory but I listen to the Mrs. I am a Tourist Police volunteer in the boonies and I can tell you that she is absolutely right with her guidance.

We are never accepted. We are all looked at as Hi-So millionaires from farangland, folk love us being at their festivities, but that is where it ends. We will never be accepted as ''family'', though folk always tell me I am family, but I know where I stand and Mrs.Trans tells me where I stand. In know way do I want to sound derogatory but I listen to the Mrs. I am a Tourist Police volunteer in the boonies and I can tell you that she is absolutely right with her guidance.

The first step would be to start referring to yourself as I instead of we. Then the rest falls into line. It is the first step of taking responsibility. Once I learned the mistakes I was making in Thailand it was not long before I began to correct them.

However I never go to the boonies as I don't like it there. And I have no knowledge of that area where you may be an expert. So you may be correct where you are and I may be correct where I am. I can't say you are wrong.

I would have to step in and defend Thailiketoo and say that Thais sure can have respect for us. I am sure he gets respect from some of his friends in his community, what he does fail to see though, is that Thailand is very racist, and that the use and notion of the word "farang" is indeed a proof if this. Even though Thais usually means no direct harm with the word.

Thais can have as much respect for you as far as a "falang" goes. My point is that you will never, ever be respected and treated like a Thai even if you have lived here 100 years and have 100 million baht in the bank. This is a fact. It is what it is.

I grew up in a tourist town and we gave our visitors great respect and were appreciative they spent their holiday money in our town.

We didn't line up to scam them. And they didn't have to become part of my community, speak the local language, join our church, help with community projects or chase down stray dogs getting them neutered to get respect....

Thais are the nicest people money can buy.

Edited by UncleJ
  • Like 1

Thais can have as much respect for you as far as a "falang" goes. My point is that you will never, ever be respected and treated like a Thai even if you have lived here 100 years and have 100 million baht in the bank. This is a fact. It is what it is.

I agree. I get treated better than a Thai person. Always have been since I've been in Thailand. I get paid more than a Thai person for doing the same job. My education is more respected for the same degree. A lot more women flirt with me then a Thai man of my age. My dog barks at Thai people but not at me. This is a fact. It is what it is.biggrin.png

I grew up in a tourist town and we gave our visitors great respect and were appreciative they spent their holiday money in our town.

We didn't line up to scam them. And they didn't have to become part of my community, speak the local language, join our church, help with community projects or chase down stray dogs getting them neutered to get respect....

Thais are the nicest people money can buy.

I'm not a tourist and I don't live in a tourist town. I was a Buddhist before I came to Thailand. I don't get scammed or pay more for goods and services than a Thai person.

Do you you care if you are right or more than you care for happiness?

My advice? Don't sweat the small stuff.

OP its quite the opposite of corruption its their business and we are not living in a communist country they are free to run their business how they want, you are free to take you business else where thats your liberty for the moment. BUT did you ever stop and think about why the double prices exist for foreigns in the first place?? Most "white people" will never get it until its too late. Its dis-heartening to watch. Its especially horrible to watch people over 40 who still dont have a clue despite their age, pointing their fascist whacking stick at people who provide a services to the world!

My point is, that we can sure greatly improve the odds that this can change, just by trying to avoid calling ourself "farang" all the time. And every now and then, point out, that we indeed prefer to not be referred to as "farang", all the time.

This is a huge step towards making us more human, and less objectified.

Edited by ayayay
  • Like 1

My point is, that we can sure greatly improve the odds that this can change, just by trying to avoid calling ourself "farang" all the time. And every now and then, point out, that we indeed prefer to not be referred to as "farang", all the time.

Have you ever told a male Thai adult not to call you Farang? What happened?

you cant put rules and regulations on thing we r fa rang they are bar girls, he is a lady boy, the govt are fasicists, you cant make copper gold

just learn from it lawl

I have told many, and at first they usually look at me, a little surprised, and I explained very briefly with a few words. And even though some did not fully understood, they respected it, and avoid using it "more than necessary".

Not a big deal, but it sure can spread pretty fast, if we all just avoid using it too much, it will benefit us in the long run.

I have told many, and at first they usually look at me, a little surprised, and I explained very briefly with a few words. And even though some did not fully understood, they respected it, and avoid using it "more than necessary".

Not a big deal, but it sure can spread pretty fast, if we all just avoid using it too much, it will benefit us in the long run.

How did you come to find out it was a bad word? I assume if Thai people don't call us Farang that will eliminate double pricing too.

OP its quite the opposite of corruption its their business and we are not living in a communist country they are free to run their business how they want, you are free to take you business else where thats your liberty for the moment. BUT did you ever stop and think about why the double prices exist for foreigns in the first place?? Most "white people" will never get it until its too late. Its dis-heartening to watch. Its especially horrible to watch people over 40 who still dont have a clue despite their age, pointing their fascist whacking stick at people who provide a services to the world!

Agreed. In my country I always charge non-whites more than whites. I even have a scale, one price for asians, another for blacks etc.

Anyone who doesn't look like me should pay more.

If you complain or argue with me about it then you are a fascistwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

How did you come to find out it was a bad word?

You have to read my posts, then you will understand.

How did you come to find out it was a bad word?

You have to read my posts, then you will understand.

I read your posts and discovered that all of the Thai people you talked to don't think anything is wrong with the word Farang and that it has no connection whatsoever with double pricing or value of a person in general.

You however do not agree with them after consultation with a number of posters on Thai Visa who may or may not have ever come to Thailand.

And I agree with that. Thai people see nothing wrong with the word Farang and it has no relationship to double pricing in Thailand. The place where I have heard it discussed is on Thai Visa and by people who have little long term contact with Thailand or Thai people.

So in answer to my question because you were not courteous enough to answer. You first learned Farang was a bad word on Thai Visa and it has never been substantiated by a reputable source anywhere in any country and any time.