Thai Debit Card Refused On Line.

A friend consistently has his Thai bank debit cards refused when trying to pay for something online.

The point of refusal is the security code.. the numbers on the back of the card.

It's not a funds problem, there's always money there.

Any ideas?

Another option could be a mismatch between passport numbers. This happened to me after having changed my old for a new passport. Although reported to my bank it was not (properly) processed in their system and had same problems as the OP describes.

Passport numbers? Only ever had to do that with airline ticket purchases and has nothing to do with the payment information.

I haven't seen an online declination specifically saying the 3-digits on the back are wrong; may be a domestic Thai thing?. Usually it's just a fairly generic 'declined, contact the card issuer' or sometimes 'Check name' or 'check billing address' or 'check expiry date'. A straight 'declined' may be due to the card issuer actively using IP address tracking and your charge attempt originating from a high-risk country. Is the OP's friends card being declined for international purchases or just within Thailand?

The thing to be aware of is that most card issuers outsource charge card verification to third party companies who frequently have an outdated database. The bank never even see's the charge attempt as it's stopped at the card verification stage so when you call the bank, they don't see any problems as they never see the attempted charge. This was common with AirAsia a few years back.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

That's because the debit card is not released with your own name.

Kasikorn offers a K-Web Shopping Card for free. This is a virtual credit card for shopping on the Internet. You can apply at Kasikorn Internet banking. After one day they show you the card details (number and security code) online. These details are accepted by Internet shops.

For security, you can define a limit for transactions by yourself. If the card is used, you get an SMS with the details, and in case of an unauthorized use, you can countermand the operation.

Debit Cards will not work with some online or phone transactions. In these circumstances a Credit Card is required (not a Debit card).

The online system won't recognise the difference between the two, but a Debit card will be rejected.

e.g. For whatever reasons some airlines wont accept Debit Card payments online or over the phone.

So.. If your debit card is consistently rejected - try a credit card.

Has the person tried contracting the bank and going through the process while the bank is on the phone? I've done that with airline purchases in the past when the transaction failed. I had a problem with registering a CC with iTunes once where I needed to upgrade information. I ended up having to talk with the bank's fraud department since everything seemed to be OK. Turned out it was something the bank failed to do that only the fraud department could see and access.

I made online bookings with Agoda, booking.com, and Air Asia last week with a Bangkok Bank Be1st card with no problems.

I also have a K-Web virtual card which worked well until earlier in the year, when I got rejections due to the security code being invalid. On checking with my online account, I noticed that the bank had amended the security code when they had extended the expiry date, but had not notified me. Since using the new code, I have had no problems.

Edited by delboy

"The thing to be aware of is that most card issuers outsource charge card verification to third party companies who frequently have an outdated database. The bank never even see's the charge attempt as it's stopped at the card verification stage so when you call the bank, they don't see any problems as they never see the attempted charge."

It's the merchants, not the card issuers, who use these third-party payment portals to screen charges, since it's the merchant who's on the hook if an online purchase is fraudulent. But the basic point is correct: charges often get bounced in the payment process according to some who-knows-how-it-works anti-fraud algorithm before they're presented to your bank, so your bank has no record at all your attempted charge.

Edited by taxout

Bangkok Bank offer the B1ST Account with a physical card that can be used online

I have this account and the card works fine

I have a B 1st account which has always worked okay online but last week I had to renew the card and the new one doesn't work. I suspect that the bank has to authorise the card before it will work.

When I got my Be1st card I found that it worked ok in ATMs, but not in shops, or online. I went back to the bank, and was told (true or not, I don't know) that they were instructed to issue cards just to be used in ATMs, and that they could only amend details to use it online and in shops if I asked specifically for it. Why they didn't tell me that when they issued the card, I have no idea.

After amending the card details, they said that they were not allowed to set daily spending limits, and that I had to call their call centre to do it. It only took one call, and a few minutes to set it up.

Does the card say electronic use only?

Does the card bear the name of the holder or something silly like Privileged Member or Hip card?

edit: Forgot to mention - I think you can only use these when the card is in contact with a card reader and not online or over the phone.

Edited by Satcommlee