Tourist boat sinks outside Pattaya - At least 5 foreigners dead, many seriously injured

george

The amount of people operating vehicles/machinery high or drunk is frightening! Nobody seems to really care either. It's that men bpen rai & 'I'm alright jack' attitude that winds me up!

Well you can't have it both ways mate. It's the laid back, relaxed attitude that attracts a lot of us TO this place.

What you are speaking about is the flip-side of the same coin; them being relaxed about danger and safety. You can't pick the eyes out it. That's the way they are, and when everything is going fine, it's fantastic. In instances like these, then it isn't so great. That's life.

But that's the way it is. If you don't like the way the Thais are, you'll have to either leave the place and grizzle about some other country, or sit here getting angrier and angrier, because they aren't going to change for either of us. They have a different attitude to these things, and frankly 99% of the time, it's a wonderful way to live.

To change their whole way of being for that 1% of occurrences would be ridiculous to them, and sounds ridiculous to me too. That's the way we westerners think. "Let's inconvenience 100,000 people so two people can stay alive." It doesn't make sense, we all live, and we all die, and who knows when our time is up. Ain't no one can tell us that.

What a load of BS. Being drunk behind a steering wheel never was a part of Thai behavior until the recent two decades. Alcohol consumption among Thais was very low before that.

Sorry, you must have missed my point.

If you mean that laid-back equals drunk, I missed it for sure, and will continue doing that.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buses, minivans, trains, cars and now boats!

How are you supposed to travel in this country??

Seems like the only way to survive is, stay home.coffee1.gif

Hope those who died didn't suffer.

Shoe Leather Express is still the safest choice of transportation here...

PCL - Personnel Carrier Leather

Need to watch where you're walking of course.

The amount of people operating vehicles/machinery high or drunk is frightening! Nobody seems to really care either. It's that men bpen rai & 'I'm alright jack' attitude that winds me up!

Well you can't have it both ways mate. It's the laid back, relaxed attitude that attracts a lot of us TO this place.

What you are speaking about is the flip-side of the same coin; them being relaxed about danger and safety. You can't pick the eyes out it. That's the way they are, and when everything is going fine, it's fantastic. In instances like these, then it isn't so great. That's life.

But that's the way it is. If you don't like the way the Thais are, you'll have to either leave the place and grizzle about some other country, or sit here getting angrier and angrier, because they aren't going to change for either of us. They have a different attitude to these things, and frankly 99% of the time, it's a wonderful way to live.

To change their whole way of being for that 1% of occurrences would be ridiculous to them, and sounds ridiculous to me too. That's the way we westerners think. "Let's inconvenience 100,000 people so two people can stay alive." It doesn't make sense, we all live, and we all die, and who knows when our time is up. Ain't no one can tell us that.

What a load of BS. Being drunk behind a steering wheel never was a part of Thai behavior until the recent two decades. Alcohol consumption among Thais was very low before that.

Turns out it wasn't alcohol but unspecified 'drugs'. Can only guess, but should not have been in charge.

It seems there was some confusion with the victims' identity. One, earlier reported dead Russian - survived. A person from Poland - didn't.Hospital stuff got it wrong.

Polish media report 2 Poles dead so I'd guess one more Russian survived. Confusing....

http://en.ria.ru/world/20131104/184513677/No-Russians-Killed-in-Thai-Ferry-Disaster---Embassy.html

update from bali hai pier this morning.

yesterdays heavy police presence was much less and down to one ambulance but the HQ tent was still there and strangely a couple of news media vans.

the need for TV crews was soon apparent as an official inspection was going on, lots of braid, lots of clipboards, lots of nodding..........the government is on the case and no need for tourists to worry.

meanwhile the sister ferries to the one that sank were still tied up and other officials were making sure departing ferries had all passengers wearing life jkts. how long this continues who knows?

there was also a police patrol boat and a marine dept sea patrol vessel in dock.

as to the ferries well whatever folks on here think about the risks involved it has had no effect on holidaymakers determined to have a good time.

the ferries were going out full one after another

This incident will have no consequences. I've heard other death numbers, but nobody seem to care. Tourists are arriving, spending money and leaving as if nothing happened. Any attempt to take this country seriously is doomed to fail.

This incident will have no consequences. I've heard other death numbers, but nobody seem to care. Tourists are arriving, spending money and leaving as if nothing happened. Any attempt to take this country seriously is doomed to fail.

I am not so sure it will have no consequences .

At least now all the passengers are wearing life jackets, so thats a good start . I cant imagine they will stop using life jackets once the media storm go away .

I am planning a trip to Koh Larn soon , but will refuse to go if they do not offer life jackets to all the passengers.

Edited by balo

Sorry, you must have missed my point.

How long have you been living here?

Search in Google regarding this accident, as it is not reported here but in the other one.

" Pattaya ferry captain confesses to drug use "

Paraphrased:

The captain confessed to officers that he took some drugs before going to work, and that he and the crew lost control of the vessel as a result.

confessed:

the ferry wandered off course -

hit the rocks -

breaching the vessel -

punching holes -

water pour in -

200 on board

This will be an interesting cover up in the name of supporting tourism, somehow think the cover up may back fire.

Caused by unregulated greed and poor or absent or unenforced (as usual) public safety standards, that seem to be the Asian nwhistling.gifrm.

Actually the sinking was caused by a rock making a huge crack in the bow, but hey don't let that little fact cloud your judgement.

• Like 1

Let's show a little respect for the deceased and their families.

I have been on lots of these ferries and I'm afraid to say they are all the same. Over crowded.

More people per journey equals more money, and as we know, money pays bills but safety doesn't. It's awful but that's the way it works here. Still sad to read about it every day. Worst thing is that nothing will change.

RIP to everyone who lost their lives, wherever they come from.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I completely agree Andy. Well-stated.

Caused by unregulated greed and poor or absent or unenforced (as usual) public safety standards, that seem to be the Asian nwhistling.gifrm.

Actually the sinking was caused by a rock making a huge crack in the bow, but hey don't let that little fact cloud your judgement.

Actually the sinking was caused by a drugged up driver that hit said rock, but don't let that cloud your judgement.

• Like 2

Actually the sinking was caused by a drugged up driver that hit said rock, but don't let that cloud your judgement.

Actually it was the boat that hit the rock not the driver, but......whatevercoffee1.gif

Actually it was the boat that hit the rock not the driver, but......whatevercoffee1.gif

Actually it was the drugged up captain -not being in a fit state of mind, wrongly steered the boat onto/into a rock causing it to sink.

He was allowed to do this as no inspections had been carried out re-the illegally operated boat over how long (years) had the boat been taken out of service he couldn't have driven it.

Coming back to the Governor of Chon Buri. He said the boat was operating illegally, SO he and his maritime officials were negligent in their duties.

Prevention better than cure.

I hope the people that suffered/families of the perished Sue the boat operators to hell AND officials who allowed this vessel/these vessels to operate illegally.

quote "

I hope the people that suffered/families of the perished Sue the boat operators to hell AND officials who allowed this vessel/these vessels to operate illegally."....so do I but what might be the outcome and in what timescale ?

Doesn't the buck stop with the Transport Minister, ie, the guy who likes to take trips on public transport to see what it is like ( and recently expressed some shock at his poor experiences)? It would be a good thing for him to resign and apologise for the abject failure in the oversight of his portfolio. Finding out recently that public transport is unsafe? Everyone has known that for decades and he has done nothing to address it ,other than some tokenistic statement about seatbelts in buses

quote "

I hope the people that suffered/families of the perished Sue the boat operators to hell AND officials who allowed this vessel/these vessels to operate illegally."....so do I but what might be the outcome and in what timescale ?

Doesn't the buck stop with the Transport Minister, ie, the guy who likes to take trips on public transport to see what it is like ( and recently expressed some shock at his poor experiences)? It would be a good thing for him to resign and apologise for the abject failure in the oversight of his portfolio. Finding out recently that public transport is unsafe? Everyone has known that for decades and he has done nothing to address it ,other than some tokenistic statement about seatbelts in buses

quote "

Yes it does, even then you go up again to the PM. as she is responsible for appointing him.

But the statement from the Chon Buri governor as I said before was SICK, "the said boat was operating illegally" and I said for how long ?? now we need some investigating reporters to ask questions now they have more power since the government has been weakened. this is the time to be brave and attack. get answers.

Bring this lot of cronies and local government officials to answer to their stupidity and cover ups.

• Like 1

now we need some investigating reporters to ask questions now they have more power since the government has been weakened. this is the time to be brave and attack. get answers.

You be brave and do that. Most reporters in this country know very well that they won't be able to release any news from the smoke stack at the crematorium, not even smoke signals.

now we need some investigating reporters to ask questions now they have more power since the government has been weakened. this is the time to be brave and attack. get answers.

You be brave and do that. Most reporters in this country know very well that they won't be able to release any news from the smoke stack at the crematorium, not even smoke signals.

According to what you say, it is no use to try, and never will. Same as demonstrations no use to try, Why do we have reporters ?? to report news that is okayed by government.??? Better to pack up the news business.

Here we are commenting on our views of incidents/events that is where it ends. I enjoy TVF and the posters interaction, But more backbone is needed from newspaper reporters/editors.

According to what you say, it is no use to try, and never will. Same as demonstrations no use to try, Why do we have reporters ?? to report news that is okayed by government.??? Better to pack up the news business.

Here we are commenting on our views of incidents/events that is where it ends. I enjoy TVF and the posters interaction, But more backbone is needed from newspaper reporters/editors.

Killing thousands of demonstrators will cause a stir, but a couple of journalists now and then, not so much. Big demonstrations help, as was shown yesterday.

If you think "we" meaning foreigners in Thailand, "we" have totally different expectations to news reporting than native Thais. Those expectations, you can mostly forget about in Thailand. Adapt, leave or live a life in grumpiness.

Killing thousands of demonstrators will cause a stir, but a couple of journalists now and then, not so much. Big demonstrations help, as was shown yesterday.

If you think "we" meaning foreigners in Thailand, "we" have totally different expectations to news reporting than native Thais. Those expectations, you can mostly forget about in Thailand. Adapt, leave or live a life in grumpiness.

OK safety in numbers, I know what you mean. Problem then for all Thais who cannot drum up thousands??? We as in Thais, have the same expectations all people have the same goals in general.

I live here and do take an interest, I have adapted for 32 years thanks and do not lead a grumpy life, I was never brought up with a defeatist attitude.

but if we all give up we have a sorry future for Thai people.

My condolences to everyone. For Those of you thinking of coming to Thailand, please don't, for your own safety.

Thanks for the tip, but I will be coming to Thailand again, and again.

I know LOS has safety problems, but the worst injury I have suffered here is tripping over a soi dog. Stupid me, I was rushing to get on a mini van.

Or I could just stay in the padded cell that is Australia, where I know I will be safe and snug, but will probably die from acute boredom.

• Like 1

OK safety in numbers, I know what you mean. Problem then for all Thais who cannot drum up thousands???

That has been shown repeatedly here in Thailand. Only when people in large number take to the street, change will occur, even when those who take to the street do not represent the majority. I had a very interesting discussion yesterday with one of my philosophical Thai friends, about Thainess and how the Thai wheel keeps rolling without worrying too much about picking up the garbage of yesteryear :)