Tourist boat sinks outside Pattaya - At least 5 foreigners dead, many seriously injured

george

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The governor of Chonburi can confirm that :

1] Boat hit a rock before the captain tried to continue on to Pattaya without warning the passengers.

2] Boat was a construction transport vessel. Not designed to be used as a commercial passenger vessel therefore it is illegal.

3] As of 2 hours ago, yes both captain and deckhand are on da run. lock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

I cannot believe the governor of Chonburi said the boat was illegal, and not designed for passengers.

1==How long had it been operating ????

2==Where did it get it's license from ???

3==Who issued the license ???

4== Who were the actual owners ??? not the captain/ crew. I am guessing they are only paid.

5==Who knew besides the governor the boat was illegal ???

My take on this for what it's worth, news flash stated that the captain was under the influence of alcohol and drugs, He wants stringing up--TOGETHER WITH THE BOAT OWNER. and the issuer of the licensed of an illegal vessel.bah.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

1] Boat hit a rock before the captain tried to continue on to Pattaya without warning the passengers.

2] Boat was a construction transport vessel. Not designed to be used as a commercial passenger vessel therefore it is illegal.

3] As of 2 hours ago, yes both captain and deckhand are on da run. lock.gif.pagespeed.ce.HUpoQX69cx.gif

I cannot believe the governor of Chonburi said the boat was illegal, and not designed for passengers.

4== Who were the actual owners ??? not the captain/ crew. I am guessing they are only paid.

My take on this for what it's worth, news flash stated that the captain was under the influence of alcohol and drugs, He wants stringing up--TOGETHER WITH THE BOAT OWNER. and the issuer of the licensed of an illegal vessel.bah.gifw00t.gif

I am with you on that one.

What makes you think the vessel even had a "license" to operate ? Come on your not in farang land now

one suspects more than half the population drives on the road without a DL why need for boat no problem Thai velly good fishmen drive boat same same pick up

• Like 1

What makes you think the vessel even had a "license" to operate ? Come on your not in farang land now

one suspects more than half the population drives on the road without a DL why need for boat no problem Thai velly good fishmen drive boat same same pick up

Ok I know what you mean, but Thailand uses the we are backward thing as an excuse for complete and utter negligence .

To try to even get near making this a (cleaner) nation they will at some time HAVE to conform, and address the issues I listed. Not forgetting the Asien-ASIA new organization looming up. IT will be like European Union if you do not conform you will be pulled over the coals. This will be interesting. Ha ha

Isn't it astounding that AFTER any incident, those higher up the chain claim they did not know rules were being broken. Every person with at least one eye and half a brain knows exactly what goes on here, day in day out but, (for example) the Chief of Police is 'shocked' to find prostitutes working in Karaoke Bars, 'very shocked' to hear that traffic cops would rather take a back-hander than give a ticket, and just as much as the man (men) responsible for turning a blind eye to dozens of unsafe boats leaving Pattaya every day will claim he/they wasn't aware that rules were being broken: well Sir, you shouldn't be in your job then! because just about every other Thai in the country knew it. You should stand your day in court.

• Like 2

It's amazing / ridiculous how a country that thrives off of tourism has such a blatent disregard for tourists safety. I remember going to Koh Phangnan in December '04 thinking the speed boat was completely full and about to leave. But no, another, at least, 20 people were ushered on to stand in the middle with pretty much nothing to hold on to. It was no surprise the following party a boat capsized and double figures died I believe.

Where I am from, if there is a chance of a serious accident, you don't do it. Here it seems that if there is a chance of not having a serious accident, you do it.

$$$

I was on Phangan at the same time in Dec 2004.

As I recall the incident, it was a boat rated for 2 engines, but had 3 on it. It was going as fast as it would go when the steering cable broke, putting it into a high-speed turn in rough seas.

It capsized at high speed & killed a couple of Swiss folks.

================

Same kind of ferry accident as mentioned in this original article happened in 2002 or 2003 off of Pattaya........started taking on water & everybody ran to the top deck.

As I recall that one, 3 or 4 people died.

================

Working in BKK right now. The work can be a bit dangerous. I've been begging the boss to have weekly safety meetings....it only takes 30 minutes a week.......something I was doing 30 years ago.

The safety meetings tend to increase overall awareness. They keep safety at the top of your brain.

I suppose possession of a brain is a prerequisite.

I get totally ignored. One of his workers will get killed or maimed.

Maybe then he'll listen to my idea.

• Like 1

RT@RichardBarrow: The boat was taking tourists from Koh Larn back to Pattaya when it is believed the water pump failed. It took on water & capsized #Thailand

... so, it was known - by whomever responsible for the boat's maintanance - that it was seriously leaking.

Yes how much water did that boat let in that it immediately sinks without the bilge pump.

It should be able to go for hours or days without pump before it really sinks.

Or it was the cooling pump, and it "disintegrated" and no working valve before. But still it would need some time and they should have radio.

Maybe complete overloaded?

Strange story.....

All very strange, and then so close to the docking point is the bummer.

In addition to the usual 'extended family' I have many Thai friends and not a single one can swim, even those who live in Jomtiem

Edited by Bpuumike

Fresh of the press 15:56

Police have the boat captain in custody and have conducted an interview. In the interview the driver / captain has admitted that he was under the influence of both drugs and alcohol at the time of the accident. Which had impeded his ability to drive the vessel therefore steering it into a rock causing the ferry to sink.

I also heard they have suspended his licences for six months, Kangaroo Court I presume.

His licences should be suspended until all the facts are known, in my opinion he should never be allowed to crew any vessel again if it is true he was high on drugs and alcohol, sounds like he has been persuaded to take the rap for a good pension.

• Like 1

I wonder how/if these boats ever get sea-worthiness certificates?

I understand that they are not actually ferries, but modified fishing boats with a 2nd upper deck added. This would make them top heavy to start with, then with over-crowding, an accident waiting to happen...

sea-worthiness certificates, I presume you only need them if you are going to insure your vessel, anyway looking at many vehicles on the roads of Thailand I presume they are not hard to get whatever state they may be in.

I heard some were former Chinese River boats. the upper deck is a major issue if you have cargo that shifts like livestock or passengers, particularly if they all move to one side to see what the captain has hit.

Maybe someone coild donate new boats made in Europe , they are built carrying people not rats.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Americans did, WWII landing ships. the HTMS Khram, the HTMS Khut sunk nearby in about 30M of water.

719016-img-1383532132-1.jpg

Foushands ov 'em, coming over the 'ill. 'Old your fire.

Totally off topic but Michael Caine in his prime.

Well, it's your signature lol

Hardly the forum in which to make fun. You can be glad that you and your family are not in the water.

Edited by soihok

The amount of people operating vehicles/machinery high or drunk is frightening! Nobody seems to really care either. It's that men bpen rai & 'I'm alright jack' attitude that winds me up!

Well you can't have it both ways mate. It's the laid back, relaxed attitude that attracts a lot of us TO this place.

What you are speaking about is the flip-side of the same coin; them being relaxed about danger and safety. You can't pick the eyes out it. That's the way they are, and when everything is going fine, it's fantastic. In instances like these, then it isn't so great. That's life.

But that's the way it is. If you don't like the way the Thais are, you'll have to either leave the place and grizzle about some other country, or sit here getting angrier and angrier, because they aren't going to change for either of us. They have a different attitude to these things, and frankly 99% of the time, it's a wonderful way to live.

To change their whole way of being for that 1% of occurrences would be ridiculous to them, and sounds ridiculous to me too. That's the way we westerners think. "Let's inconvenience 100,000 people so two people can stay alive." It doesn't make sense, we all live, and we all die, and who knows when our time is up. Ain't no one can tell us that.

• Like 1

The amount of people operating vehicles/machinery high or drunk is frightening! Nobody seems to really care either. It's that men bpen rai & 'I'm alright jack' attitude that winds me up!

Well you can't have it both ways mate. It's the laid back, relaxed attitude that attracts a lot of us TO this place.

What you are speaking about is the flip-side of the same coin; them being relaxed about danger and safety. You can't pick the eyes out it. That's the way they are, and when everything is going fine, it's fantastic. In instances like these, then it isn't so great. That's life.

But that's the way it is. If you don't like the way the Thais are, you'll have to either leave the place and grizzle about some other country, or sit here getting angrier and angrier, because they aren't going to change for either of us. They have a different attitude to these things, and frankly 99% of the time, it's a wonderful way to live.

To change their whole way of being for that 1% of occurrences would be ridiculous to them, and sounds ridiculous to me too. That's the way we westerners think. "Let's inconvenience 100,000 people so two people can stay alive." It doesn't make sense, we all live, and we all die, and who knows when our time is up. Ain't no one can tell us that.

What a load of BS. Being drunk behind a steering wheel never was a part of Thai behavior until the recent two decades. Alcohol consumption among Thais was very low before that.

What a load of BS. Being drunk behind a steering wheel never was a part of Thai behavior until the recent two decades. Alcohol consumption among Thais was very low before that.

Sorry, you must have missed my point.