Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

Farang , simply means foriegner, that is no racist term in itself, but the manner and tone in which it is used can be offensive, in my opinion. To use and old phrase, its not what you say its the way you say it.

Academics -

Dehumanizing the enemy - Making individuals from the opposing nation, from a different ethnic group, or those who support the opposing viewpoint appear to be less human, worthless, or immoral, through stereotyping and by assigning that group a non-human name. The military finds dehumanizing makes it easier for soldiers to kill the enemy. Terms like kraut for a German; frog for the French; Chink for Chinese, Slope Head or Gook for the Southeast Asian all serve to dehumanize a group of people by removing the element of national identity or origin ................... I think we can add farang to the list.

Spot on!

As I said, the biggest problem is, many of us enjoy being called "farang", and does not see the problem with it.

How are Thais ever gonna take the hint, when we (not me personally)in fact enjoy being their dancing monkey?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see the point in everyone referring to how these words were translated from Sanskrit to French in the 1700's and then back in to Yiddish to describe a tropical fruit. These words are defined not by their origins but how they are used today in schools, colleges and offices.

There is no harm in a little bit of racism, but there is no point in dressing it up because that's what it is.

I am from Wales in the UK and have had to put up with sheep shagging jokes my entire life.

Edited by arnold40844
  • Like 1

The Thai middle class is probably racist but what do you expect in an education system in which university lecturers can sport the weakness of non royalists but not a banner on which Hitler figurates next to Captain America and Superman?

Go and sit down with the upperclass and they will tell you that a dark skinned Thai is low class. But I sincerely doubt that Thai people in general are more racist than an American, European or someone from Japan.

If you feel offended by the use of the term "farang" try to turn the table. When a Thai Chinese ask you when you are going home, ask a counter question and ask them when they go back home. When someone calls you a farang tell them twice you don;t like the term and if they use the term again use a term that they don't like that is used to point out the people of the area they come from.

It is just an habit and if you always feel offended, see if you can get to an uninhabited island.

A Farang

I never heard that dark skinned Thais are labeled as low class by other Thais, only by Farangs.

Agree, 100%. Farangs created the myth, perpetuate it, and as often as possible, criticize the Thais about it.

Comes from the Farangs, that married a lady from the night entertainment industry. Than their wife doesn't get the same respect or responds than other "rich" white Thai women, so it must be the color.....

Oh Really! Do you have an English Passport?Where can I get one?

My understanding of "Farang... Falang" is that it is simply a corruption of Farnagsais as for French as they were one of the Western Nations who had earliy strong associations with Thailand.

Like many descriptions it can be perfectly neutral or insulting depending on the context in which it is used.

By the way OP, where can I get a Chang T-shirt and som croces please?

Farang , simply means foriegner, that is no racist term in itself, but the manner and tone in which it is used can be offensive, in my opinion. To use and old phrase, its not what you say its the way you say it.

Academics -

Dehumanizing the enemy - Making individuals from the opposing nation, from a different ethnic group, or those who support the opposing viewpoint appear to be less human, worthless, or immoral, through stereotyping and by assigning that group a non-human name. The military finds dehumanizing makes it easier for soldiers to kill the enemy. Terms like kraut for a German; frog for the French; Chink for Chinese, Slope Head or Gook for the Southeast Asian all serve to dehumanize a group of people by removing the element of national identity or origin ................... I think we can add farang to the list.

So you really believe that the Thais see farangs as "the enemy?" This thread is becoming farcical.

Quite right. The word 'farang' has changed its meaning from a simply descriptive into one of denigration or abuse.

People will say "oh, it's just their way of pointing out someone not Thai' but that in itself is the essence of racism.

And hell yes! Thai people are not only racist (with good reason, often) but also xenophobic (with much less reason).

No the word didn't change in meaning. Not that anyone would have noticed. And to see someone who is not Thai as what he is (not Thai) isn't racism.

If a black person walks in a small village in Europe, also everyone is looking (but not speaking), it isn't racism it is seeing something different.

They are not xenophobic, but the hate when other nations mess into Thai politics.....Like the US is stationed here and spies on Thai people and other countries and bribe Thai politicians to brake the law (example Victor Bout).

But there you should ask for European or even Arab opinions, they are a magnitude less friendly.

I've heard this explanation before, that farang simply means foreigner. But, the world is a little more sophisticated than that, I'd say, and this incessant use of farang, instead of the country name, strikes me as racist. I don't call my Chinese friends 'asians', I call them Chinese...same with Japanese, Korean, etc. Same for Germans, Russiasn, Italian, etc. I think you get my drift....things are a little more sophisticated in some places that don't just lump people into general categories. Sure, the kids didn't know what country OP was from - they are kids. But, really, after you've been around people from other countries, cultures and languages for a while, it's not that hard to figure which country they are from....then you use the country word, not the generalized name. Thais don't do this, that makes it stereotypical, if not racist.

yep. I call Japanese Japanese, Koreans Koreans. Only westerners like to brand everyone as Asians, can't tell the difference anyway. Same as me seeing Germans, French and Spanish, I also can't tell the difference, hence I also brand them as Europeans.

Edited by Jackson86

How do you get the idea that Farang is a racist word? Have you ever not heard a student talking, "Next is Ajarn Farngs class". Even Thai teacher's refer to foreigners as Ajarn Farangs.

Do you expect the Thai's call you, "Hey, look at that white man(Kon Kaao) walking in his stupid shorts" or whatever. It's just a word to describe foreigners. Because usually it's hard to tell the nationality. It CAN be used offensively such as, AI FARANG!! or just combining it with other offensive words. If it's so easy to tell if you're German, Australian, American, or whatever, I think people will call you, " Hey, look at that American" just as the Farangs call, The Thais, The Chinese or Asian.

• Like 1

I realise fully that the original post was a joke: skilfully evoking the scenario of a completely deadbeat westerner objecting to being singled out, even though his behaviour and appearance deserves both attention and scorn.

And I don't care at all about the word farang being used to refer to me or anyone else.

However it DOES have a racial identification component: it does not just mean foreigner. It is a word used to refer only to non-Asians, so a Japanese or Korean would never hear the term, even when guzzling beer in the street wearing a wifebeater.

Is this racist? Hmmm. Imagine walking on the street in New York, say, and on seeing a Chinese person walking past, you nudged your friend, pointed and yelled "OOOH look, an Oriental!!!"

I myself do this all the time as I find Asians very fascinating with their funny ways, so it can't be racist....

EDIT: correcting spelling, and noticing the OP also used the word "oriental" in his post...surely triple satire, as "oriental" is only used to refer to inanimate objects, and so is generally recognised to be racist when applied to peoplesmile.png

I enjoyed the original post for what it was. Hope it develops into a book!

Have to agree with "partington's" post about Ferang being used to refer to Non-Asians. Took me a long time to find out as when I first visited Thailand as a Travel Journalist some 30+ years ago, I was told that it meant All Foreigners.

A few years ago when we were living in Australia, my wife was telling me about a "Ferang" behaving badly in a local shopping centre. I half-jokingly, told her that in Australia, "you are the Ferang." That was when the "Ugly Racist Thai Truth" was revealed and she fessed-up, saying that the word "Ferang" relates ONLY to Non-Asians.

Quite frankly, I couldn't give a damn. Yes, it all depends on HOW IT IS USED. Family and friends use it, I use it myself in general conversation and no one, myself included is offended.

However, I too am inclined to use it with a distinctly agitated tone in my voice, when I see "The Face of The UGLY FERANG" and behavior, such as exhibited by the character, who was so accurately described in the original post.

Thais seem to be very racist to my learning from the locals and the book “History of Thailand” (Cambridge University) – accept it or find another place than LoS. The word “farang” should come from khmer language, as the first Caucasian people they saw came from France – Farangcee – and since then all Caucasians were called farangs. May be used as phrase like “black” or “white”, and may be used in more racism mode.

Between Thais themselves they talk about the “Black Thais”, the Khmer and Lao people from Isaan working under the sun in the fields and originally moved to the plateau to by the over class, to grow food and be cheap labor and soldiers for the elite. Thais look down at the “black”, that is why skin whitening is so popular. The “White Thais” are the elite and/or Chinese population with a whiter skin and of course therefore a higher social class. Must be a bit like it was – and perhaps still is in some countries with black and white, or other kind of mixed population. I am not sure where the Malays and Lana (Chiang Mai) people fit in, but certainly lower than the “white”.

So a farang is by color – and money – a higher class, but not high enough to be within the elite class, except if filthy rich, and will still be looked down at, by some Thais (I assume, they consider many farangs a bit ding-dong-stupid and bad integrated). The same way goes with the word “papa”, which many of us elder male ThaiVisa members may here (an elder man is medically defined as being over 40 years old). Papa may said with respect for the elder, being social high and/or supreme of the family; or it may be said in a not so respectful way, like the Bar Girl English codex: Handsum, Sexy, Papa – where we older TV-members in ultra low season only may be lucky enough to step a level or two up! tongue.png

So yes – Thais are racist people…! thumbsup.gif

Yes they are racist. Farang is a racist term no matter how much Thais try to say it is not. It is plain and simple. Any word like this that is used to identify a certain ethnic group that is not part of "us" is racist. Imagine back in our homeland (whatever country it may be) and you are asian and you overhear the wait staff at restaurant say: "You take the table with the Asian at it."

Imagine walking down the street and people pointing at you and nudging their partner "hey, hey, look! An Asian."

How about clearing up a traffic ticket at the local cop shop and when you bring the ticket in to retrieve your driver's license, the cop looks at you and shakes is head and says "Oh you asian."

But I don't get mad at the Thais. They don't understand it is racist. I try to educate them in a joking manner. "Duu Duu Duu farang!! " I stop and point back and say "Du du du,,, Khon Thai."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had the honour of placing a wreath on Remembrance Day ceremony in respect for those westerners and others who fell in battle. The wreath was provided by our town. Do you know what was written in bold letters across the wreath ..........................

" FARANGS OF UBON RATCHATHANI"

What do you think of that ?

So why no replies from the ''high horse'' farangs to my above post ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I get called Farang all the time, and I used to absolutely hate it.

Especially since I'm Thai myself, and being called an 'Outsider' by my own people isn't pleasant..

because I grew up in Oz I'm considered to be different.

Thai's who call me 'Farang' I just see them as narrow minded.

A few years ago when we were living in Australia, my wife was telling me about a "Ferang" behaving badly in a local shopping centre. I half-jokingly, told her that in Australia, "you are the Ferang." That was when the "Ugly Racist Thai Truth" was revealed and she fessed-up, saying that the word "Ferang" relatesONLY to Non-Asians.

So what now? Thais claim Farang is foreigner from the west and no insult, just a generalisation like "Asians". But then how to merge these two examples? ermm.gif

• Like 1

You are missing the point of context. If you said "I met with a few farang yesterday" its not offensive but if someone shouts "Oi farang, your car is ready" it becomes disrespectful and rude. I was just brought up not to address people by their ethnic origin. I am surprised there are so many people who disagree with that in here.

• Like 1

Hey don't get upset. I've got used to it now, it just means foreigner. It's a shame that they class us all as " farangs, " but don't worry. Good job you don't know what they call black people, it's much worse.

You are missing the point of context. If you said "I met with a few farang yesterday" its not offensive but if someone shouts "Oi farang, your car is ready" it becomes disrespectful and rude. I was just brought up not to address people by their ethnic origin. I am surprised there are so many people who disagree with that in here.

So you tell them your name ?

Don't think they understand the word ''Sir'' here, thats a farangland thing.. smile.png

Go back a few posts and give your opinion on my post. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Don't think they understand the word ''Sir'' here, thats a farangland thing.. smile.png

Yeah its kinda funny, nothing to get upset about it. :) could not find the post...

Yeah its kinda funny, nothing to get upset about it. smile.png could not find the post...

Try # 182

Yes they are racist. Farang is a racist term no matter how much Thais try to say it is not. It is plain and simple. Any word like this that is used to identify a certain ethnic group that is not part of "us" is racist. Imagine back in our homeland (whatever country it may be) and you are asian and you overhear the wait staff at restaurant say: "You take the table with the Asian at it."

Imagine walking down the street and people pointing at you and nudging their partner "hey, hey, look! An Asian."

How about clearing up a traffic ticket at the local cop shop and when you bring the ticket in to retrieve your driver's license, the cop looks at you and shakes is head and says "Oh you asian."

But I don't get mad at the Thais. They don't understand it is racist. I try to educate them in a joking manner. "Duu Duu Duu farang!! " I stop and point back and say "Du du du,,, Khon Thai."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I had the honour of placing a wreath on Remembrance Day ceremony in respect for those westerners and others who fell in battle. The wreath was provided by our town. Do you know what was written in bold letters across the wreath ..........................

So why no replies from the ''high horse'' farangs to my above post ? rolleyes.gif

Good one, Transam. And of course, the "high horse" farangs can't respond because it doesn't fit in with the racist-Thai arguments.

• Like 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Good one, Transam. And of course, the "high horse" farangs can't respond because it doesn't fit in with the racist-Thai arguments.

Sometimes the word is used in an appropriate, respectful manner.

Nowadays, it is often used in an inappropriate manner, either through ignorance, poor upbringing, or, prejudice.

My experience at the restaurant (post #4), fell in one of the latter categories.

EDIT: Thanks for acknowledging, Berkshire, that I'm not "high horse."

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Dear Mrs Crab:

JL is still not paying attention in class, confusing one person with another, blurting out single words that make no sense. Words like "antlers!," whatever that means. Perhaps you know.

In addition, he does not play well with others.

Please take steps to correct this before next school year, or I believe, one day, he may grow up to publicly make inappropriate comments, embarrassing himself, and alienating those around him.

Sincerely,

J.L's Teacher

Yes JL's Teacher -- He certainly is a problem child but since, before he was even able to drive, he was doing the sophisticated probability calculations for our family company which helped us earn us sh-tloads of money, we tend to put up with his eccentricities . Thanks however for your concern. Jl's Mom

Just on a side note....is your mom as hot as Stifler's?

And as I sit drinking my Cheers beer, the parade of TV folks commenting on this thread has kept me entertained for hours.... keep them coming folks! thumbsup.gif

And as I sit drinking my Cheers beer, the parade of TV folks commenting on this thread troll has kept me entertained for hours.... keep them coming folks! biggrin.png

And as I sit drinking my Cheers beer, the parade of TV folks commenting on this thread has kept me entertained for hours.... keep them coming folks! thumbsup.gif

And as I sit drinking my Cheers beer, the parade of TV folks commenting on this thread troll has kept me entertained for hours.... keep them coming folks! biggrin.png

Yep, we are waiting for your enlightenment on something. ............... hmmmmmmmmmmm, still waiting............laugh.png

• Like 1

poor educated people are also usually racist people. I saw a thai boy standing up in the bts when a black guy sat close to him. And a thai comment: "I don't want black people" when a new black skin teacher was around, and it came from someone who was actually supposed to teach thai student not to be racist...

The "farang" term is many times not a polite term. But I don't care that much because it only shows how much ignorant and envious they are :-)

• Like 1

News flash: It's not only Thailand, most Asian countries have a similar term for Westerners. In China, for example, you would be a "laowai" and you'll hear it very often.

I think the discussion would turn more intelligent if we talked about the roots of this term and its usage.

But to those TV members here who have heard it so often that they got used to it...sorry, it is derogatory...the degree of which depends on the circumstances.