Don't stop for a fight and try to help

puukao

Two quick stories: Foreigner walking home in Chaing Mai sees girl getting punched repeatedly by guy, tries to help, and gets 2 black eyes for his involvement. if he would have helped the girl, well, he would then go to jail.

America: Guy sees girl getting punched by guy, steps in and beats up the guy, and police arrest him. he serves a few months in jail.

amazingly, i guess you are not allowed to help a lady/girl get beat up by a guy. that goes against all human reasoning, in my opinion.

yes, you are allowed to call the police and wait. maybe you are allowed to grab the guy and hold him; however, i can still see him pressing assault charges on you.

if possible, film everything.

• Like 1

I once tried to stop a guy beating up a lady, and the guy chased me and my wife, in our car, he on motorbike, we stopped, he went berserk but did not do any damage to us. Real scary though. I told my wife I would never do that again and put her danger. Sorry...not my problem anymore. Maybe case by case... .

• Like 2

All very nice, gentlemen, but one question we have not addressed is what happens to the girl AFTER the intervention: gets the shat beat out of her more? That is also a risk we have to consider when we get involved. Seriously big loss of face for the guy doing the girl bashing.

• Like 1

This isn't unique to Thailand - ask any Aussie cop how it feels to be called to a domestic only to have the 'battered' partner turn on you. The usual advice given here is to keep walking, be it an accident or a beating - your call as to whether you accept that advice.

Depends:

If for example you are 5ft 4ins tall, 126 lb in weight and you witness a much larger guy, weighting in at about 200 lbs or more beating on a girl and you try to intervene, than the odds are you won’t have the power to rescue the damsel in distress and will not fair well in your attempt to be a good Samaritan. Or if you are getting on in years or suffer from health problems and the girl beater is much younger, fit and strong, than again you may not come out of this unscaved, plus of course you could get stabbed, shot or anything.

Back in 1960s New York, my dad witnessed a man kicking and smacking some broad about on a sidewalk. My dad tried to intervene and then suddenly they both turned on him and poor old dad had to make a run for it.

I think the issue of whether one should dive in headfirst and assist in these situations is all a matter of judgment. If for example you feel that you have a good chance of overpowering the assailant or you’re with a group of people all willing and able to lend a hand, then I say it is a moral duty to go in and help.

As for the law, it says helping someone in these situations is OK providing one uses reasonable force. But of course what is considered as reasonable force is all a matter of interpretation.

A man can only do, what a man can only do.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Depends:

If for example you are 5ft 4ins tall, 126 lb in weight and you witness a much larger guy, weighting in at about 200 lbs or more beating on a girl and you try to intervene, than the odds are you won’t have the power to rescue the damsel in distress and will not fair well in your attempt to be a good Samaritan. Or if you are getting on in years or suffer from health problems and the girl beater is much younger, fit and strong, than again you may not come out of this unscaved, plus of course you could get stabbed, shot or anything.

Back in 1960s New York, my dad witnessed a man kicking and smacking some broad about on a sidewalk. My dad tried to intervene and then suddenly they both turned on him and poor old dad had to make a run for it.

I think the issue of whether one should dive in headfirst and assist in these situations is all a matter of judgment. If for example you feel that you have a good chance of overpowering the assailant or you’re with a group of people all willing and able to lend a hand, then I say it is a moral duty to go in and help.

As for the law, it says helping someone in these situations is OK providing one uses reasonable force. But of course what is considered as reasonable force is all a matter of interpretation.

I think you made a very valid point in that many, older larger Western males only see their size advantage in a confrontation with Thai males, they do not take into consideration of the youth, speed and the ability to kick most in the head in a confrontation. I have seen many Thai -Western fights where the westerner came out on the short end, the moral of the story is because they are smaller "Never underestimate anyone".

Also I have seen only one incident of a Thai hitting a female in public and it was in Bangkok, a young lady on a motor bike was hit by a couple traveling the wrong way in traffic at a high speed and was knocked to the ground, the male driver got off the motorbike and went back to see the lady and after a brief exchange of words the male hit the girl and knock her back onto the pavement and in the blink off an eye was the subject of attack by every Thai in sight, my wife explained to me a man does not hit a women in Thailand, I have no reason not to believe her statement!

Cheers:

• Like 2

...I have seen many Thai -Western fights where the westerner came out on the short end, the moral of the story is because they are smaller "Never underestimate anyone".

I was in a North London high street years ago and out the blue some chunky guy at about 5'10" is dancing menacingly toward another guy at 5'1" at most and a mere stripling in comparison. Wasn't sure of the rights and wrongs of the situation but the little guy had backed off as far as he was comfortable. Next second Mr Big was on the floor getting his head bashed in.

Out of the blue [again] some 6'5" bloke picked up the stripling by the seat of pants, and he was dangling in mid-air, giving Mr Big the time to pick himself off the floor and scurry with his tail between his legs. The titan released the boy after a few seconds and the lad waltzed off in the opposite direction looking content with his day's work.

The entire episode lasted no more than seventy seconds.

To this day, I have a lasting admiration for the little guy with a big heart. I never heard one word from him during the altercation.

• Like 1

I once saw a Thai girl smashing a large farang with a bottle in a bar on Soi Green Mango in Samui. He was just sitting there and taking it all with no response. A passing farang grabbed the girl to stop her and the large farang got up and flattened the helping farang. The girl and the guy happily walked offf together after that! Was it a setup, who knows what people will do to get there kicks!

Safest to do nothing, if you're happy with that. However dare I suggest that at the very least you can shout loudly , if nothing else you might attract a crowd. Provided you don't physically intervene I would say that it's fairly unlikely that you will be attacked.

• Like 1

If you're walking past monkeys in a forest fighting do you intervene?

Some truth to this as well. If you're not Thai its far harder to decipher the situation. In your own country would you get involved in what looks like a fight between a hooker and her pimp ? There is absolute truth in the fact that often both the participants will find common ground in turning on the interloper. Nothing unique to LOS about that. For me there are times when I would walk on by, and I've done that.

On the other hand I've intervened, perhaps unwisely, when the victim was a dog (canine) being beaten,( not in LOS I hasten to add) simply because I didn't feel I could walk on by.

I was in BKK a few months ago in front of a Big C when I noticed a younger ( mid 20s) Thai guy yelling at a Thai woman of about the same age while slapping and pushing her around on the sidewalk.

I was about 30 meters away and debating weather I should try to help or not when a police officer walked up to the couple and started talking to them.

The man did not stop yelling and pushing the girl around.

The police office stepped between the man and woman. This stopped the pushing and slapping, but not the yelling.

The girl then briskly walked away up the sidewalk.

As soon as the police officer stepped back, the guy took off at a run to catch the girl.

The police officer just shook his head and walked away.

I don't know if the guy caught up with the girl or not, but assume he did.

I had never seen anything like this before in my life and had hard time believing this could happen in public and with a police officer present.

By the way, this took place in a very busy area with many many people present. All were watching, but pretending they did not notice!!

Edited by willyumiii

No two situations are the same one action you could be a hero the next a deadman . The best responce I have seem thus far was the guy ran up laid the guy out and then ran off . I think if you can end it with one punch and run you would be much better off . I know as an ex cop I hated those calls , 9 times out of 10 both husband and wife went to jail for the night ....

• Like 1

Depends:

I think you made a very valid point in that many, older larger Western males only see their size advantage in a confrontation with Thai males, they do not take into consideration of the youth, speed and the ability to kick most in the head in a confrontation. I have seen many Thai -Western fights where the westerner came out on the short end, the moral of the story is because they are smaller "Never underestimate anyone".

Also I have seen only one incident of a Thai hitting a female in public and it was in Bangkok, a young lady on a motor bike was hit by a couple traveling the wrong way in traffic at a high speed and was knocked to the ground, the male driver got off the motorbike and went back to see the lady and after a brief exchange of words the male hit the girl and knock her back onto the pavement and in the blink off an eye was the subject of attack by every Thai in sight, my wife explained to me a man does not hit a women in Thailand, I have no reason not to believe her statement!

Cheers:

I wish your statement that men do not hit thai lady's were true BUT, does anyone here remember early this year the young pregnant woman being BASHED by men and women alike at the offering of a bounty by a woman of 20,000 baht, all caught on cctv, the police came and they said they were unsure if any crime was committed.

In Thailand it all boils down to 'Us (Thai)' vs. 'Them (Farang), so it really does depend on the circumstances at the time.

On a busy street / in a crowded place with other Thai onlookers? Keep walking.

On the street at night, with not so many people around, maybe.

My wife threw a complete bonkers wobbly in the road a few years back, I grabbed her to stop her doing anything silly.

Two Thai guys came to assist her as she was clearly being attacked by a foreigner (me).

She picked up a rock and chased them down the road, waving the rock wildly in the air, you should have seen them run.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

This isn't unique to Thailand - ask any Aussie cop how it feels to be called to a domestic only to have the 'battered' partner turn on you. The usual advice given here is to keep walking, be it an accident or a beating - your call as to whether you accept that advice.

Same in the UK. All police hate being called to a domestic.

Once saw a lady getting a pasting in the UK - a city center at about 2.30 a.m. My mate went over and thumped the guy, knocking him down. The woman jumped up and starting hitting my mate with her high heeled show.

Always difficult to judge this type of situation. Best to call the on duty police and leave it to them. Although appreciate the RTP may leave a lot to be desired.

My next door neighbor in Hwai Kwang is a dating a Thai cop. He beats her almost every night (or whenever he comes over). In the morning, I go downstairs to get breakfast and she is covered in bruises. Not sure what can be done. When I first heard her crying at night, I ran out into the hallway to do "something". My GF pulled me back into our apartment and said that since he is a cop, nothing can be done.

Any suggestions?

The police have been called before and the BF just flashes his badge and the police leave without doing anything.

Edited by KuhnPaen

Depends:

Cheers:

I wish your statement that men do not hit thai lady's were true BUT, does anyone here remember early this year the young pregnant woman being BASHED by men and women alike at the offering of a bounty by a woman of 20,000 baht, all caught on cctv, the police came and they said they were unsure if any crime was committed.

Yep - remember that. 2 women were assaulted badly. The younger pregnant one took a beating. A security guy tried to intervene at one point and was pushed aside by a big, heavy, reasonably dressed guy who had just arrived, This guy then proceeded to hit the young woman, who was bent double, with a heavy downward punch. Yet it looked like the whole thing was bugger all to do with him. He then rushed away. All caught on cctv.

There were several other young women all smiles and giggles and calling their mates over to come and film on their smart phones.

An appalling assault, which no doubt is still in the RTP "too hard to bother" file.

there is an alcoholic psychopath working in the soi buakhow area, if u see her going mental with a quiet guy who looks totally bemused by it all then feel free to step in and save him. ive tried to warn him 1000 times now that shes a looneytune but hes still in the "but she ***** like a tiger" stage.

me? ill be 100m up the road when she kicks off, any women shouting round there attracts 100 taxi drivers all looking to jump on the ferrang. ive told him this several times now as shes gone off on 1 and started smashing up the bar. 'up to him'

Again, I never see these fights happening on a dark, dusty road. They are usually right in public view and Thais get involved, whether it is young guys/girls physically involved or old women (usually) shaming the living daylights out of them. I think a group of Thais are likely to sort this kind of thing out to their satisfaction and they don't need me sticking my nose in.

Of course, there is always the mythical (or at least extremely rare) "and then, I turned the corner into a dark, abandoned alley at 3 AM, and I knew it was me or the damsel....I chose the damsel" scenario that people seem to like to harp on about here.