suddenly a very slow imac

femi fan

Turned my imac on this morning and for some sudden reason it's going very slow. Slow to boot up, slow to react to any command, and lots of beach ball activity while the computer is 'thinking'. So slow it's almost unworkable. I've rebooted three times now, and it's the same each time.

I'm wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing, and if my computer is about to collapse, or whether i'll have some kind of hefty repair bill.

This happened just before the HD on my iMac shit the bed.

about 3-4000 baht for a new one fitted in a couple of hours in the Siracha Apply store @ central.

Did you get to keep your data? I've only got part of mine backed up and am more than concerned i'm going to lose the data on my hard drive.

This morning it won't even manage to boot itself up, just see the apple and the whirring circle trying to get itself booted. We have an apple shop in chiang mai, so i'm assuming i'll just take it there.

Would be useful to find out about your data.

about 3-4000 baht for a new one fitted in a couple of hours in the Siracha Apply store @ central.

Did you get to keep your data? I've only got part of mine backed up and am more than concerned i'm going to lose the data on my hard drive.

This morning it won't even manage to boot itself up, just see the apple and the whirring circle trying to get itself booted. We have an apple shop in chiang mai, so i'm assuming i'll just take it there.

When you say "We have an apple shop in chiang mai, so i'm assuming i'll just take it there. " if you're referring to iStudio, they don't do repairs. They package your device and forward it on to Bangkok and from there onwards.

There are actual authorized Apple Repair Centers in Thailand but iStudio is not a part of that.

Nope - lost data, i usually keep everything on an external drive anyway so did not really lose too much, a few photo's though!!

Sounds exactly what happened to mine, whirly thing and would not boot up, there is a short cut you can do on start up that helps, i forgot what it is but found it on youtube, it might work - never for me!!

Nope - lost data, i usually keep everything on an external drive anyway so did not really lose too much, a few photo's though!!

Sounds exactly what happened to mine, whirly thing and would not boot up, there is a short cut you can do on start up that helps, i forgot what it is but found it on youtube, it might work - never for me!!

The best thing you can get is a time machine and then you will not lose your data. You can choose your backup times and it is always done. Do you have the original boot disk with you? (software installer that comes with each mac) The boot disk can help you restart your Mac and get you to the disk utility here you can get the status of your HD.