what should parents bring from england for newborn

Hi guys & girls my gf and I are expecting are first child in march, (very nervous) so my parents are coming to visit in april from England.

They want to bring out stuff for the baby but don't know what to bring, so keep asking me.

I'm just looking for what's best for them to bring which is cheaper in the uk or you can not buy here in Thailand.

Thanks

The very first question to ask is how does your girl want to bring up the baby in Thailand.

They use a lot less gear then we do.

Many carry the child and don't use a pram ... w00t.gif

Now ... I don't have kids ... but I have TWINS on the way and have been quizzing

my lady over there just how she wants it done.

A lot of the baby stuff we get sold, advertised to ... that we really don't need.

post-104736-0-46066800-1383715440_thumb.

post-104736-0-52640200-1383715442_thumb.

post-104736-0-38761900-1383715444_thumb.

post-104736-0-11322300-1383715446_thumb.

post-104736-0-20588000-1383715448_thumb.

Just so you know ... I'm bringing a Pot-a-Cot ... they collapse into an easy carry bag, sometimes the wheels from that cot slid through the bag and you can wheel.

The cot has a 2 position height so Mum won't get a sore back and it also has a change table as part of it.

It weighs 12 kilos ... so about 25 pounds.

In Pounds/Euros I don't know how much they are.

In Aussie Dollars they are $100 - $150 for the standard style.

I bought mine 2nd hand for $45 the photos are of the actual one I bought ... so you can see the quality.

Sooooooooooo much money can be saved buying good quality 2nd hand gear.

Also comes with a mosquito net.

The next thing, after asking your lady ... will she breast feed or formula feed.

Breast is best.

Maybe buying a pump.

Medela is very popular.

Another is Avent, made by Philips.

Breast pumps basically come in two styles ... manual or electric.

The electric one have 2 or more styles in the Medela Range.

In Medela ... the Mini or the Swing.

Everyone wraps the Swing

$T2eC16V,!)kFIe8BV)YMBSW15Di7Eg~~48_20.J

But it's expensive.

Great if your lady wants to breastfeed and needs a bottle to express into.

If you get bottles, you will also need a steriliser, and teats.

Teats come in different flow rates depending on the age of the baby ... as the baby grows, it needs a faster milk supply ... hence a larger hole in the teat.

Well ... that's my 2 Ducks worth.

Hope that helped.

Cheers David

Yes she does plan to breast feed if she can. The baby carrier looks like a good idea as we all know how bad the pavements are out here.

Hopefully can get some free stuff of my sister who has 2 kids aged 6 & 4 now and has kept a lot of the stuff they brought over the years.

One thing i did think of was all there old books, whilst i know no use now but always good to have in the future, if they bring a few every year they come.

A baby carrier is number 1 imo

Next is the cat cover, it's a mesh cover that slips over the cot or buggy & keeps out animals, mozzies, insects & generally makes baby comfortable when asleep.

Muslin cloths were a life saver for me, they can be used to clean up spills, spit, sick & a clean one is the perfect wrap when taking baby out, it is light weight, absorbant & can be used to cover baby from the glare of the sun or as a blankie when they sleep.

We bought a collapable cot in thailand it was cheap, sturdy & had insect nets built in the sides but get your parents to bring fitted cot sheets with them, mothercare do lovely soft cotton ones. The thai ones we found were very cheap & scratchy, we passed all our baby stuff on to my neice who just had a baby 6 months ago & she is thrilled witht he quality of it.

A lightweight buggy, like a maclaren is also good, even if you dont use it out it is perfect for indoors, get one that lays flat & baby can take naps in it & be rocked to sleep in it, we also used it for feeding my son when he was weaning as we didn't have a high chair in thailand. We used it until he was over 4 years old for napping during the day, so we really got alot of use out of it.

Apart from that, most things can be bought in thailand but usually cost more.

I would suggest looking through mothercare online & seeing what takes your eye.

Just done the same so

• Baby carrier
  • Pushchair/car seat if you think you will need one
  • Re-useable nappies, we are saving a fortune & no nappy rash.
  • Sudocrem - CANNOT find it here
  • Clothes - george from asda brilliant & next in the sales I spent 200 quid and have clothes for over a year.
  • Bottles - on sale in asda as we speak

No need for the cot, you can get in central almost identical to the one shown by David for about THB6000. If you bring this, then lots of luggage allowance will be swallowed up. Breast pump, also central has those on sale last wekk so maybe have a look.

TOYS - actually designed & accredited for babies, you will get these for coppers after the sales. Teddies that arent made from left over uranium etc... for 2 quid.

Just my thoughts so far...... & good luck mate

Easy answer. Let Grandma and Grandpa bring everything they like and spoil bubs rotten! Even better for a nice day out let them take your wife shopping. Tesco has heaps of stuff and good prices for a start.

• Like 1

To the OP ... just a thought.

The Thai way of raising children is a lot less gadget based then our upbringing ... our lifestyles.

You may find a lot of things bought with all the best Farang intentions are left unused, sitting in the corner, gathering dust.

Will you be raising the child, or will you wife have the most involvement?

Maybe ask her what she needs.

Wants and needs are different.

For example, I went buying baby stuff yesterday ... the lady had lots of stuff for sale.

One item was the baby monitor.

You know the type ... you can hear of your baby farts cries.

It was dirt cheap and in good condition ... but I declined.

She said yeh ... she hardly ever used it.

We get marketed heaps of stuff that we really don't need.

And then we get guilt tripped by advertisers who imply that unless we don't buy the latest gadget

for their new-born, we are somehow disadvantaging the bub's future ... we are bad parents.

I say ... baa-humbug.

Think back to when you were raised ... did you grow up OK?

A full belly, a clean bottom and the love of your parents?

Not many gadgets there.

My warm suggestion is to sit down with your partner, ask how she thinks the child will be cared for.

Then from her comments suggest a few items which might make that caring regime easier for both her and you.

I did that with mine ... we have included a few essential items that she wasn't familiar with but can see the logic in using them.

Then buy those items accordingly.

All the best, and I'd love to know the outcome.

BTW ... our kids are due about the same time ... maybe a few weeks earlier for us as we are having TWINS

I have always claimed that the best argument when you need to make people aware of how much better modern nappies are compared to re-usable nappies is to try them out yourself.

Wrap a towel around your crotch and pee and shit and leave it there for an hour or so. Then try the same thing with a nappy and see which one you would prefer.

Just saying.

Thankfully I don't allow my child to sit and sleep in them once soiled. If you are paying attention you will know when they need to be changed.

Just sayin....

That aside modern re useable nappies are much different to the old ones, with Velcro fasteners. We do use disposables through the night and outings, but simply the environmental saving outweighs any inconvenience to me changing more frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thankfully I don't allow my child to sit and sleep in them once soiled. If you are paying attention you will know when they need to be changed.

Just sayin....

That aside modern re useable nappies are much different to the old ones, with Velcro fasteners. We do use disposables through the night and outings, but simply the environmental saving outweighs any inconvenience to me changing more frequently

I dont think anyone allows their child to sit in them once soiled, problem is modern disposable nappies are incredibly much better than re-usable nappies at keeping your babies bottom dry so I have no clue where you got the rash-argument from. If you want to be environmentally friendly or save money, fine, but dry bottom? No...

Just sayin....

I dont think anyone allows their child to sit in them once soiled, problem is modern disposable nappies are incredibly much better than re-usable nappies at keeping your babies bottom dry so I have no clue where you got the rash-argument from. If you want to be environmentally friendly or save money, fine, but dry bottom? No...

Drier no, but rash with re-useables yes.

Just sayin....

Ouch, I misunderstood you entirely...did you mean you got no rash despite using re-usable nappies?

Just sayin....

Ouch, I misunderstood you entirely...did you mean you got no rash despite using re-usable nappies?

Had a long weekend away using only disposables, poor little bugger had a backside like a beacon. Came home, used the bamboo re-ueseables and some tea tree oil, 1 day later happy little toosh.

NOw we only use at night, or when out shopping etc...

here is the tread where I asked the same question for a 6 month girl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632017-what-to-bring-from-usa-for-a-6-month-old-girl/

the crib / cot / baby prison was used the most

the stroller was used some,

not sure how much the baby carrier was used, I brought 3-4 different ones from yard sales

I brought a car seat , mostly so the baby would have a nice place to sit up in the apartment.....they do not have a car :)

and then its tons of diapers , wipes etc and formula if you use that...

sure Tesco has stuff , but lower quality ,

Not sure what I will be bringing next month when she is 11 months old, ........ but I am sure my suitcases will be full :)

here is the tread where I asked the same question for a 6 month girl

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632017-what-to-bring-from-usa-for-a-6-month-old-girl/

the crib / cot / baby prison was used the most

the stroller was used some,

not sure how much the baby carrier was used, I brought 3-4 different ones from yard sales

I brought a car seat , mostly so the baby would have a nice place to sit up in the apartment.....they do not have a car :)

and then its tons of diapers , wipes etc and formula if you use that...

sure Tesco has stuff , but lower quality ,

Not sure what I will be bringing next month when she is 11 months old, ........ but I am sure my suitcases will be full :)

Books (pop ups are great), good educational toys (stacking blocks. I have these pots, 4 colours and 12 different sizes which fit into one another, great toy), baby carriers are good, although a bit hot for the child, unless your walking around Big C.

I used a baby monitor but my house is 3 stories high, without it we couldn't hear him. One of the best things my mother sent me!

I have always claimed that the best argument when you need to make people aware of how much better modern nappies are compared to re-usable nappies is to try them out yourself.

Wrap a towel around your crotch and pee and shit and leave it there for an hour or so. Then try the same thing with a nappy and see which one you would prefer.

Just saying.

It's personal preferance. I don't think you can say you save a fortune. It costs maybe us in Australia about 30dollars every 2.5 weeks, that's the expensive brand.. Some may see that as a fortune but I don't. Plus neither of us is washing dirty nappies everyday. Then the wipes are $10 for a box of hundreds. Cheap imo. The only other cost is formula milk which is 28dollars and lasts 10days. Ours was breast fed until her little razor sharp teeth started to bite mums boob. Ouch.

I agree a baby monitor is not really needed unless your house is big and you can't hear baby cry.

Really less is kind of better. They grow out of stuff so quickly. Within maybe 4 months they are to big for those baby carrier things. Don't waste much on clothes either, same thing they outgrow them nearly weekly. It's crazy how fast they grow. Ours skipped whole clothes sizes. So stuff never even worn becomes hand me downs for the next :)

I tell you the best thing we got was probably a good camera. It's worth getting that. Maybe also baby panadol for fevers is always handy to have a bottle or 2 in the fridge.

• Like 1

Clothes mate, they are sooooo cheap in the UK compared to here!

Again, only my opinion, bed linen only a little I will explain why.

First in Thai its very hot, so you will not need to 'swaddle the little one', I tried with our he HATES IT, we dont even really cover him as he kicks it off through the night & he never feels cold. Most baby websites advise against wrapping as babies can not regulate body temp very well & can be a contributing factor to SIDS. Secondly if your partner is Thai, you will we having the little one in bed with you. FACT. Just go with it, I was dead against but is actually very nice bonding experience :)

We have quite a few sets of linen, given as gifts, only 2 have been used in 4 months!

Absolutely, you can get 3 baby grows for about a tenner and the quality is better than the stuff you get here for thb 600 each! I just did this a few months ago mate from the UK, pm me is you need any more info