I'm a violent alcoholic

Restinpeace

there is a drug (naltrexone i think) that is used for drug addicts to stop them from getting high and has been used in trials for alchoholics with great success . maybe you could see a doctor and ask about this .

You won't be addicted to this Naltrexone, it's not a narcotic to substitute alcohol for a mellow feeling. Just taking the first one especially on an empty stomach in the morning may give you such a stomach ache that you will be so sick in the stomach you will hate yourself when you even think about taking another drink of alcohol. If that don't do it for you then 2nd one just before you normally have your first beer may stop you. I had one 3 days ago and the memories of the stomach ache is so bad, not sure when or if I'll ever have another beer again. At least it should keep you sober enough to get to an AA meeting hopefully.

On a similar line, a drug that's been around for ages is Antabuse. If you drink alcohol whilst taking Antabuse you will get some very unpleasant symptoms which may include, nausea and vomiting, flushing and headaches.

If you are going the drug route perhaps Naltrexone would be the first choice.

Willpower may work to keep you from drinking. Antibuse (sp?) or one of the newer substitutes may also keep you from drinking by making you so sick you can't stand the smell of alcohol. I've even known people who swore it off by going to church.

For me, not drinking (and wishing I could) wasn't a very satisfactory way to live.

Participating in AA has made me happy about my life with no drinking. It started out about not drinking, and quickly turned into learning to "enjoy life on life's terms".

• Like 2

G'day Restin peace

Ye problem with many people, but a lot depends on what you drink, I used to get bad with whiskey, beer and wine I am nice. Look at what you are drinking.

Totally false.

Alcohol is alcohol. Quantity consumed per hour and body weight has more to do with it. Throw in some chemical inbalances that some people have..and that adds to the problem

Anyone who has attended AA or a remedial driver class knows the following formula...

1 shot of whiskey = 1 glass of wine = 1 beer

pretty much true.

drink 5 cocktails that contain 1 oz (shot of) whiskey and you are just as bad off as 5 twelve oz beers or 5 glasses of wine .

• Like 1

Alcohol and drug abuse is used to mask deeply disturbing psychological problems. You will not stop drinking until you find out what you are hiding from. A psychiatrist or a professional councilor is what you need.

It has been an established fact by medical science for quite a while that the alcoholic is mentally and PHYSICALLY different from non-acholics. I don't know the technical terms but it has to do with how the body and the brain filters the alcohol. You can be born with this difference in your body (in your genes, before you have had any life experiences) thus you have the person who is alcoholic from the moment he takes his first drink.....others can drink themselves into this state. Either way....stopping drinking is not the problem for most alcoholics.....the problem is .....staying stopped.....that is where you need the support.

Sometimes, heavy drinkers are confused with alcoholics, difference being...a heavy drinker (sometimes can drink a lot more than an alcoholic can) but when for instance, being told by a doctor to stop drinking or he will die....he can do it.....a real alcoholic....could not.....if he did not seek help.

There definitely are happy drunks....never stop smiling/laughing/hugging people and then pass out. I am slightly to that side. However, I used to work with 2 guys who would reach this point....and you could see a change in their eyes and you knew physical violence was not far off. I had never been out with them and just ran into them one night at a bar with another co-worker. After that night, I never went anywhere where they might be drinking (and it was confirmed that, indeed, they did "flip" often and would get into fights).

Everything reacts differently with different people....and getting violent is a great reason to STOP drinking immediately. Good luck with it all.

there is a drug (naltrexone i think) that is used for drug addicts to stop them from getting high and has been used in trials for alchoholics with great success . maybe you could see a doctor and ask about this .

You can substitute any thing you want but they will bring there own set of problems. Abstinence with support from people who understand you is the ultimate answer. You all ready know you can't do it alone so why not reach out to people who were just like you and found a way to do it with people who understood them.

Why reach out to some one with no knowledge of what it feels like to Have to have that drink. Yes a lot of people know the answer they just are clueless what it is like when you pick up that drink. I have known a lot of nice people who picked up that first drink and became instant as hole.

Acknowledging the problem is the only way to start correcting the problem. However, is Thailand the best place to stay if battling an alcohol problem. Seriously, it may be better to stay in Muslim countries like Indonesia or Malaysia. Yes there are bars and alcohol there too, but it is less of an alcohol culture there and less available.

• Like 2

There is no need to give up and no need to get drunk, what's so difficult about drinking in moderation?

Whenever there is a new thread on someone admitting he, (or she) is an alcoholic and is seeking help, you can absolute guarantee that someone will get on the thread and try to tell him that all you have to do is drink in moderation.

Every alcoholic, be he practising or recovering, will tell you that for most of their drinking career that was exactly what they tried to achieve - drinking in moderation.

It takes some alkies a few years, and takes others a lifetime, but sooner or later the alcoholic must face the harsh truth that for him (or her) to drink in moderation is NOT an option.

Regular, and occasional heavy drinkers are able to drink in moderation, alcoholics cannot. That is the difference between them.

I know it is a concept that is difficult for those who drink in moderation, (and occasionally get pissed), to accept, but it is a long established fact.

I spent a vast majority of my adult life researching this very point, and I have a badly damaged pancreas for my troubles. Let's hope the OP sees the truth before I did.

Good luck, again...

• Like 1

Restinpeace, your stage name says it all for me...you have a death wish and you're searching for rest and peace. From my own personal experience I can tell you that your desire to drink is only a symptom of a larger problem. The alcohol gives you a temporary escape from the reality of the other problems in your life and allows you to experience somewhat of a numbed euphoria. You are an unhappy and miserable man with a hole in your soul, and you will never stop drinking until you realize that the only thing that can fill that void is the Spirit of God. God himself has placed that empty spot in every human being and He's calling you to come to Him so that He alone can take up residence in your heart and fill you with His peace and His rest from your weariness. Some men try to fill it with alcohol... others drugs, sex, and riches...but all are a miserable lot and they will never know real peace until they submit themselves to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. You have to come to a point where you are willing to admit to yourself that you have made a wreck of your life and you can no longer do it on your own. You have to humble yourself, get off the throne of your own life and ask Christ to come into your heart and take control. With your simple act of submission He will come in and do all the rest, and He will change the desires of your heart. You will no longer desire to drink and carouse because He will bring you to an understanding that you are created in the image of God and your body has become the Temple of the Holy Spirit. You will grieve at the thought of defiling your Temple with alcohol and you will be convicted of your sin against your own body and the sin of being a horribly negative influence on all those around you when you drink. You will no longer want to be a force for evil...but a force for good!

I speak from personal experience my friend, and I know what I am talking about. I ran the red light districts of SE Asia for 11 years and was insanely alcoholic and addicted to drugs and sex. I would binge drink for 3 and 4 days non-stop and I was an absolute terror to be around. I tried AA and I believed the devil's lie that alcoholism is a disease, and on August 5, 1988 I found myself hanging over the railing of my balcony on the 12 floor of my high-rise condo in Manila. I had lost all that I owned and I had no hope. In my darkest hour I came back over that railing, threw my arms up in total surrender and cried out to God for Him to rescue me from myself. The Lord took me through a process of healing and restoration and He gave me the Power and the willingness and desire to turn from all of my addictions. After 25 years I am still clean and have no desire to ever return to those things which put me in bondage. I am no longer led by the desires of the flesh, but I am led by the Spirit of God. The Lord has clearly shown me that to drink or not to drink is a choice fueled by the body's addiction to alcohol. You must come to a point where you are convinced in your spirit that it is more important to please God with your life choices than to fulfill the desires of your flesh. In and of yourself you have absolutely no power to do that, but by the eternal power of God's Spirit He will enable you to discover your destiny and fulfill your God-given purpose on this earth. I will be praying for you my friend.

If you want to know more you can find answers at many websites on the web, but this one is truthful and adequate:

http://www.allaboutgod.com/how-to-be-saved.htm

Just stay on the 5% beer and nothing stronger, to prevent to get annoyed/violent, that's was my lesson and it works ... for me.

So, where's the fridge?, time for a Singha ....

That's like telling a diabetic (or worse yet, someone with a deadly peanut allergy) to just buy the small size Snickers candy bars. Less sugar and peanuts in the smaller sizes.

Problem is they'll just eat or drink more of them.

Edited by impulse

You won't be addicted to this Naltrexone, it's not a narcotic to substitute alcohol for a mellow feeling. Just taking the first one especially on an empty stomach in the morning may give you such a stomach ache that you will be so sick in the stomach you will hate yourself when you even think about taking another drink of alcohol. If that don't do it for you then 2nd one just before you normally have your first beer may stop you. I had one 3 days ago and the memories of the stomach ache is so bad, not sure when or if I'll ever have another beer again. At least it should keep you sober enough to get to an AA meeting hopefully.

On a similar line, a drug that's been around for ages is Antabuse. If you drink alcohol whilst taking Antabuse you will get some very unpleasant symptoms which may include, nausea and vomiting, flushing and headaches.

If you are going the drug route perhaps Naltrexone would be the first choice.

Actually Naltrexone does not work like taqila says. It does not produce violent reactions upon consuming alcohol, that would be Antabuse pointed out by you.

There is a new drug out now called Nalmefene, which instead of the usual daily dose type medicine is only taken 1 or 2 hours before anticipated drinking. It has been found to reduce consumption by nearly half, so would probably be ideal for binge drinkers, who actually drink only once or twice a month or so. As far as I am aware, this drug is not yet available in Thailand but can be obtained under prescription in the EU.

Actually Naltrexone does not work like taqila says. It does not produce violent reactions upon consuming alcohol, that would be Antabuse pointed out by you.

There is a new drug out now called Nalmefene, which instead of the usual daily dose type medicine is only taken 1 or 2 hours before anticipated drinking. It has been found to reduce consumption by nearly half, so would probably be ideal for binge drinkers, who actually drink only once or twice a month or so. As far as I am aware, this drug is not yet available in Thailand but can be obtained under prescription in the EU.

I can't imagine much that would have been more frustrating "back in the day" than going out drinking with my buddies and not being able to keep up with them.

If all you need to do is stop drinking, modern science has you covered with Antabuse (sp?) and the updated meds.

If you want to stop drinking and be happy about it, there's always cocaine. Happy, that is, until the cocaine ruins your life.

If you want to stop drinking, be happy about it, stay out of the hoosgow, and not ruin your life and destroy the family with drugs, there's about a dozen posts on this thread alone pointing to a singular solution.

If you can't see your way clear to an AA meeting (just one), then my heart goes out to you. You've been fed the barstool KoolAid, and it is strong stuff.

There are, of course, alternative treatment centers all over the world. But the favorable outcome of the majority of treatment programs is to get you connected comfortably with a 12 step program before they discharge you.

Edited by impulse

I live in the Algarve (Portugal) during the rainy season,, some years ago there was a plague of drugs and virtually every young person was as they said "on the horse" addicted to everything available for sale,, it was a disgusting sight to see on the streets, the government stepped in and made available treatment that all of my cousins were on, the drugs went away but a side effect was that they all became alcoholics,, my cousin went on another treatment (naltrexone i think) and if they drink or take any drugs they become violently ill and throw up anything in their stomachs, if that's what it takes then bring it on give them more.

The controlled drinking experiment has been tried now for a period of time in UK. It may work for non-alcoholics, but it's a total failure for alcoholics, like me.

The OP mentioned his nightmare of getting violent when drunk - a good reason to stop, methinks? My rock-bottom experience was the blackouts, complete loss of memory when drunk. Related to that was my behaviour during a blackout. I could sometimes function apparently normally, of just get silly, or aggressive - I never knew what could happen - the unpredictability was frightening. My real rockbottom was a complete lost weekend whilst in a position of authority, on duty. To this day I don't know what transpired; except on the Monday morning I was filled with self-disgust. I had let myself down, my standing within the workplace, my colleagues, I was damn-near suicidal. I had enough sense to go see a doctor and burbled my misery at him. I don't know exactly what I said, but in essence "I am powerless over alcohol,my life is unmanageable".

After being hospitalized, 10 days later I was referred to an AA meeting in the hospital. I found out I had already taken step 1, the all important one in the 12 step programme. That was over 45 years ago; and I haven't had to go back drinking to test the hypothesis as to whether I'm an alcoholic or not. But I'm just like any other AA member, I'm one drink away from a disaster and I do it by missing out on that 1st drink, one day at a time.

• Like 2

Restinpeace, your stage name says it all for me...you have a death wish and you're searching for rest and peace. From my own personal experience I can tell you that your desire to drink is only a symptom of a larger problem. The alcohol gives you a temporary escape from the reality of the other problems in your life and allows you to experience somewhat of a numbed euphoria. You are an unhappy and miserable man with a hole in your soul, and you will never stop drinking until you realize that the only thing that can fill that void is the Spirit of God. God himself has placed that empty spot in every human being and He's calling you to come to Him so that He alone can take up residence in your heart and fill you with His peace and His rest from your weariness. Some men try to fill it with alcohol... others drugs, sex, and riches...but all are a miserable lot and they will never know real peace until they submit themselves to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. You have to come to a point where you are willing to admit to yourself that you have made a wreck of your life and you can no longer do it on your own. You have to humble yourself, get off the throne of your own life and ask Christ to come into your heart and take control. With your simple act of submission He will come in and do all the rest, and He will change the desires of your heart. You will no longer desire to drink and carouse because He will bring you to an understanding that you are created in the image of God and your body has become the Temple of the Holy Spirit. You will grieve at the thought of defiling your Temple with alcohol and you will be convicted of your sin against your own body and the sin of being a horribly negative influence on all those around you when you drink. You will no longer want to be a force for evil...but a force for good!

I speak from personal experience my friend, and I know what I am talking about. I ran the red light districts of SE Asia for 11 years and was insanely alcoholic and addicted to drugs and sex. I would binge drink for 3 and 4 days non-stop and I was an absolute terror to be around. I tried AA and I believed the devil's lie that alcoholism is a disease, and on August 5, 1988 I found myself hanging over the railing of my balcony on the 12 floor of my high-rise condo in Manila. I had lost all that I owned and I had no hope. In my darkest hour I came back over that railing, threw my arms up in total surrender and cried out to God for Him to rescue me from myself. The Lord took me through a process of healing and restoration and He gave me the Power and the willingness and desire to turn from all of my addictions. After 25 years I am still clean and have no desire to ever return to those things which put me in bondage. I am no longer led by the desires of the flesh, but I am led by the Spirit of God. The Lord has clearly shown me that to drink or not to drink is a choice fueled by the body's addiction to alcohol. You must come to a point where you are convinced in your spirit that it is more important to please God with your life choices than to fulfill the desires of your flesh. In and of yourself you have absolutely no power to do that, but by the eternal power of God's Spirit He will enable you to discover your destiny and fulfill your God-given purpose on this earth. I will be praying for you my friend.

If you want to know more you can find answers at many websites on the web, but this one is truthful and adequate:

http://www.allaboutgod.com/how-to-be-saved.htm

I've just watched Billy Graham's last public message which played at his 95th birthday celebration last evening. If anyone out there is looking for hope and is willing to invest 30 minutes of time to change the rest of your life, this simple presentation is the most important message you will ever hear. Restinpeace and all the others out there who are searching for answers, this one is for you. Please don't turn away!

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/my-hope-america-with-billy-graham.html

To the OP, as many have already said here, it was AA that saved my ass. I was a very violent binge drinker and I tried moderation, quitting, counseling...nothing worked until I reached the end of my rope. My self-esteem was in the toilet from having to apologize so many times. AA is a spiritual fellowship and those people got my attention when nobody else could. It's been 27 years now without a drink for me. Thanks "fittobetied" for a very powerful post. AA isn't for everyone and some people have found religion has worked for them.

I moved to SE Asia one foot in alcoholism. I was boozing beer more than 20 big Changs per week when I first came here two years ago. Good or bad, my alcoholism is largely confined to beer and I can't stand being drunk on other stuff as much as I do with the brew. Thankfully I am down to 6-7 bottles per week and it keeps getting less. I kept a strict tally of how much I drank and forced the curve to sink somewhat. Wasn't easy but it's getting better. Wishing all sufferers from A to kick it!

• Like 1

There is no need to give up and no need to get drunk, what's so difficult about drinking in moderation?

Absolutely nothing.................unless you're an ALCOHOLIC!!! w00t.gif For the alcoholic, drinking in moderation is like trying to swim without getting wet.

Spoken like a true AA member...........I attended AA for 3 months, religiously, but couldn't get past that 5th Step, I wouldn't hand my life in the arms of some higher power, or some stranger just because that person was an alcoholic..............I prefered the "I'm not going to drink to excess anymore" attitude, have lived with this fine for the past 14 years......I am a social drinker now because I realize I have the power to 'not drink stupidly' Whatever works, but I had AA members hunting me down to go yo a meeting - was that for me or for them...........don't give me that "drinking in moderation is like trying to swim without getting wet." Bull Doogie - One size doesn't fit alll, is what AA is selling.saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing.................unless you're an ALCOHOLIC!!! w00t.gif For the alcoholic, drinking in moderation is like trying to swim without getting wet.

Spoken like a true AA member...........I attended AA for 3 months, religiously, but couldn't get past that 5th Step, I wouldn't hand my life in the arms of some higher power, or some stranger just because that person was an alcoholic..............I prefered the "I'm not going to drink to excess anymore" attitude, have lived with this fine for the past 14 years......I am a social drinker now because I realize I have the power to 'not drink stupidly' Whatever works, but I had AA members hunting me down to go yo a meeting - was that for me or for them...........don't give me that "drinking in moderation is like trying to swim without getting wet." Bull Doogie - One size doesn't fit alll, is what AA is selling.saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif

I appologise for the generalisation TR, one size does not fit all, and AA is definitely not for everyone. One persons salvation can just look like a pity party to another. I am not trying to "sell" AA. I just put it out ther because it is often a good starting point for someone who doesn't have a clue about alcoholism. I personally, have never met an alcoholic that could practice moderation for any length of time without winding up back where they started. However, your success with moderation is a rare exception. I compliment you on your ability to control your drinking. It is a very admirable attribute. I wish you all the best. wai.gif

• Like 1