Ministry focuses on its goal to turn Thailand into an ICT hub

webfact

I wouldn't worry too much about that. 80% of population doesn't even have reliable access to Internet if at all. And most of them wouldn't know what to do if they had, apart from playing games... I have been waiting for a year now for TOT to install a DSLAM or our soi. Only way to access internet for me is on True-H and that with an external 15dBi Yagi, at 500 Baht for 2GB downloadssad.png

This new hub will probably go the same way as the Phuket becoming Thailands IT Hub 12 years ago..... I did try to apply for IT visa back then... Honest... Just nobody had a clue what I was all about.

• Like 1

Really what and absolutely (hopefully) well intended move that shows utterly zero understanding of the principles of Identity, Authentication and communication.... i am skipping the huge hub joke potential here, network equipment and thailands buzzword oh will the witty humor me.

Without even thinking too much I can knit pick and shoot down this like a forum regular.

First thing, is <deleted> are you giving people a Single IP address for, like really <deleted>, clearly they are going to have to utilize IPV6 due to IPV4 being a no go since it would not be sustainable regardless of the address space exhaustion. And with V6 why bother with just one, issue a damn block <deleted> it, a million addresses to each person.

Second issue, you seriously going to expect people to fkn remember 8 groups of four Hex digits, like <deleted>. Sooooo.... what are they to do, setup a DNS entry for their ID number in order to enable resolving their IP address easily. But damn, really this IP address is going to become significant enough to identify an individual, does that mean they will identity you by deivices.

So now you have to register your devices with the government for your IP to get activated so then well, need I mention the NSA, small minded spying and integrated surveillance systems.

Actually this idea will not deliver convenience for anyone other than the government spies, and others with nefarious intent, Further layers of security will be required to be overlayed on this idea in order to deliver security which will be needed in response to this idea being awful, and in the end deliver zero value.

Just <deleted> issue a 2FA Smartcard and permit easy enrollment by the populace and association maybe with a cell phone and then this stupid idea can just be skipped or. better Just go copy Singapore Singpass system, it is far from perfect but perfectly functional,

Who the hell thinks this idea will achieve a single outcome mentioned in the article despite burdening the government and the people with more crap to drown in.

Frankly I'm impressed that the Ministry even knows that IPv6 is, given that the current level of adoption here is 0.15%. (Source: http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption)

I recall reading a few months ago that in the whole of Thailand there are only 6 IPv6-enabled servers - and most, if not all, of them were university-run research projects. Sorry, can't find the source.

OK... IPv6 Usage is damn common by the Telcos however its visibility might be reduced due to such things a SuperNATing and transiting on v4 address space outside onto the internet. But the usage of v6 by the telcos especially for phones has been needed for ages in asia.

It is sometimes just not apparent, but for example you will find that most true internet services will and do operate v6 accross the entire stack and not just a tunnel. So yeah... the Thais figured out v6, they are not an incapable bunch.

Just in my weak opinion, seems the do'ers and the think'ers live and perform duties in different realities. Not sure if responsibility is a natural force... not sure... meh