Vietnam to blacklist scams

craigt3365

HANOI, 7 November 2013:

Vietnam National Administration of Tourism will publish online a “black list” of dishonest tourism services and facilities in a bid to end scams that are damaging the country’s tourism image.

According to VNAT, the list will be posted soon on the organisation’s two websites, www.tourism.gov.vn and www.vietnamtourism.com in a move to improve tourism quality. It did not say whether the list would be in English or Vietnamese.

The decision to shame the scammers comes as the country’s tourism soars to new records

Continued:

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/11/vietnam-to-blacklist-scams/

ttrweekly-logo.jpg

• Like 2

Better than nothing i suppose but a simple google of vietnam or thailand or ANY destination scams will give more info...since they and thailand know where and who the scammers are how about just stopping them with some arrests???...what a concept???

Every day for YEARS scammers work the exact same place and the exact same grand palace is closed scam that deputy dog could identify and stop IN A FEW DAYS IF IF IF anyone in power wanted it stopped....the scam is detailed over and over with pictures and even videos all over the web but on and on it goes. for DECADES .scamming tourists and insulting the grand palace and all it stands for.......and the phuket tuk tuk and jet ski bunch operate in the open day AFTER DAY AFTER DAY....

Nice window dressing to list scams but obviously there are still huge numbers of tourists who either do no research or think it will never happen to them.or are just completely gullible.....

• Like 2

But arresting scammers may upset them....Thai's generally don't like to upset other Thai's...it's a culture thing....maybe it's the same way in Vietnam. Plus farangs got so much money...will never miss a little (or sometimes a lot).

• 3 weeks later...

Won't work at all. I've traveled widely, but have never in my whole life checked a country's tourist website before visiting, and I don't know anyone else who has. If people are committing scams they should be arrested and locked up. Naming and shaming is pretty pointless. Sounds more like a small exercise to make it look like they're doing something when they're not. I won't be visiting Vietnam again any time soon.Too many scams.

Edited by davejones

But arresting scammers may upset them....Thai's generally don't like to upset other Thai's...it's a culture thing....maybe it's the same way in Vietnam. Plus farangs got so much money...will never miss a little (or sometimes a lot).

Where do you and others get this <deleted> from. If you've ever been to Thailand you'll see plenty of Thais upsetting other Thais. Police arrest plenty of Thais - the prisons are full of them. I wish people would stop posting such nonsense. There is nothing in Thai culture that means people can't get arrested.

Won't work at all. I've traveled widely, but have never in my whole life checked a country's tourist website before visiting, and I don't know anyone else who has. If people are committing scams they should be arrested and locked up. Naming and shaming is pretty pointless. Sounds more like a small exercise to make it look like they're doing something when they're not. I won't be visiting Vietnam again any time soon.Too many scams.

I've never read these warnings either, but many are clearly listed in travel guides. Lonely Planet, for example, lists many of them. When we were in Paris, our guide book had a section dedicated to this (Rick Steves) and even had an online page where they were updated and commented on by travelers. We saw every one of them. Reading about them before hand was a great thing. We were fully prepared.

Where do you and others get this <deleted> from. If you've ever been to Thailand you'll see plenty of Thais upsetting other Thais. Police arrest plenty of Thais - the prisons are full of them. I wish people would stop posting such nonsense. There is nothing in Thai culture that means people can't get arrested.

Scams against Thais are rampant. Everything from fake eggs, fake curry powder, fake fertilizer...and of course the daily scams by the police. But due to police corruption and compliance, not many scammers get prosecuted.