Removing Hard Water Stains on Glass

Does anyone know of any products in Thailand that are used to remove hard water stains from glass? I have a glass shower, and it is coated in dried water droplet stains and windex doesn't do anything.

Another solution is toothpaste but vinegar (white, malt or apple cider), balled up newspapers and some elbow grease should see them off. It's not a quick solution as I had some bad water stains on the car windows but after a few cleans they are getting much better.

I think you're going to be at it for awhile with above methods.

I've been using Mr. Muscle Anti Limescale, available at Big C and others. Put on and use a sponge with green pad to scrub, let sit, rinse. May have to do a few times if it's bad.

I am having the same problems at my condo in BKK. I am Chief Engineer onboard a superyacht where everything has to be super clean so asked the stewardesses/housekeepers what they use, and they claim that pure alcohol and water is the best product to remove it. I have not yet found any pure alcohol in BKK to give it a go though. I also heard that once clean a very light smear of WD40 stops the scale from building up.

More years ago than I want to think about, I worked on a job applying tint to cars windows and to windows in offices and homes. Before applying the tint, we would clean the glass with Windex or a similar cleaner and then use a razor blade to remove stubborn stains, etc. Don't use a coarse brush, etc. or you will scratch the glass.

• Like 1

My 6 years old glass panels in the master bathroom look terrible with hard water stains. I have tried everything...nothing worked. I gave up. The vinegar i used only messed up the granite floor. I am contemplating replacing the glasses or switch to shower curtains.

For the other bathrooms , I've just installed shower curtains to keep the water from the glass partitions, fabric shower curtains don't look so bad...better than the transparent glass "wallpapers" sold at HomePro and Homeworks.

Edited by Thailand J

I am having the same problems at my condo in BKK. I am Chief Engineer onboard a superyacht where everything has to be super clean so asked the stewardesses/housekeepers what they use, and they claim that pure alcohol and water is the best product to remove it. I have not yet found any pure alcohol in BKK to give it a go though. I also heard that once clean a very light smear of WD40 stops the scale from building up.

I have purchased relatively pure methanol sold as a solvent from neighborhood paint shops. I have bought 1 liter glass jars and 1 gallon tins.

For scale on glass, I'd use white vinegar (3-5% Acetic Acid), or some household scale remover such as Lime-Away. In either case, it's the acid that works. Any kind of abrasive is going to take way too much elbow grease, with the risk of scratching the glass.

Pookiki's razor scraper idea works great for the areas you can reach with a scraper, but I haven't found a razor scraper to fit single edge razor blades anywhere in BKK.

If it's real thick, Muriatic pool cleaning acid (35% HCl) works great but I don't recommend it for the faint of heart, or for indoors. It's very strong and the chlorine fumes are very, very bad for you.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

That's an important caution on the hydrochloric acid chlorine fumes. The fumes tend to collect near the floor, so you can think that you're alright, and then stoop to scrub lower and get surprised with a strong whiff of chlorine gas. It will also attack any nearby exposed metal, even stainless steel, and even in the next room. Rubber gloves are a must when working with hydrochloric acid. Even the weaker mixture like in the Big C bathroom cleaner will make your skin peel a few days after even a brief use.

After it's clean, keep it clean with a coat of Rain X, and wipe the walls and glass dry with a clean towel after every shower. I also use a floor squeegee after each shower to keep the floor clean as well.

Edited by HAL9000

I want to thank the OP for this post and all the replies. I have a mirror in the bathroom which had a build up of hard water stain on it through neglect. Actually thought of getting a new mirror...could hardly see to shave. From the advice given above, I applied lime juice and let it dry then cleaned it off using toothpaste applied with a kitchen sponge. Did this twice and now have a shining new mirror.

Many thanks.

I have tried 5% acetic acid white vinegar, rubbing with scotch pad, and paper towel - no luck. Also tried the ethyl alcohol 79% using paper towel - no luck. The stains have been on for months, this is Pattaya tap water.

Also lemon or lime juice should work. To prevent further build up, you might want to invest in one of those rubber edged window squeegees to wipe all excess water off the glass after you shower.

I just tried Big C lime juice (50% actual juice), applied it 5 times, 500ml., waiting 5-15 minutes between applications, applied with a 3M scotch pad, juice was on the glass for more than 1 hour. Result - no noticeable reduction of dried water droplets. Maybe I should have used real limes??

I am now using a rubber edged window squeegee to remove water droplets from the tempered glass, after each and every shower, in an effort to avoid further accumulation.

Next step? - I'll try Lime Away or ammonia, if I can find them at Tops or Big C.

I think you're going to be at it for awhile with above methods.

I've been using Mr. Muscle Anti Limescale, available at Big C and others. Put on and use a sponge with green pad to scrub, let sit, rinse. May have to do a few times if it's bad.

I tried Mr. Muscle Anti Limescale1, the toilet bowl cleaner. First time, it was on the glass for 5 minutes, scrubbed in with one of those green scotch brite sponges, - no significant removal. Second time, it was on the glass for 15 minutes, scrubbed in with one of those green scotch brite sponges, - no significant removal. Third time, it was on the glass for 35 minutes, scrubbed in with one of those green scotch brite sponges, some of it dried onto the glass - no significant removal.

The stuff does burn your hands, especially if you have a small cut, so I used rubber gloves.

Sulfamic acid will do the job. The msds sheet sounds a bit scary but it is not that dangerous, certainly easier and safer to use than hydrochloric acid or ammonia. It should be readily available in powder form in Thailand at a chemical supply shop.

I am still trying to remove hard water stains from a tempered glass shower enclosure, with a few more products. In the last few days I tried HG Bathroom scale away (HGBSA) recommended by Homepro sales associates. HGBSA was applied, scrubbed into the surface, 3 times. First time it sat for 5 min., 2nd time and 3rd times, 15 minutes, rinsed-off glass and dried between applications; resulted in no noticeable scale reduction. Next product I tried was super concentrated HG Hagesan Blue bathroom professional lime scale remover (HGBPLSR). The product was applied 3 times with a scotch brite pad, and let sit for 10 minutes each time, glass was rinsed and dried between applications. HGBPLSR application resulted in no noticeable reduction of the hard water scales.

Finally I used 2 point Zure Clean rust remover (highly corrosive) which contains ethoxylated alcohol 2.5%, phosphoric acid 24.5%, alkyl glucoside 0.2%. 1st application was applied with scotch brite pad for 5 min. until it started foaming, rinsed off, 2nd application was scrubbed in until foam, dried onto the glass within 20 min., then rinsed-off, 3rd application, was scrubbed-in, sat 15 min., reapplied, then rinsed-off. No noticeable reduction of scales.

All of these products will burn your hands, so if you want to use them, I recommend wearing rubber gloves.

All of these products do work to remove light (daily) accumulations of water scales on the facets.

What is in this Pattaya tap water to make the stains so stubborn? Maybe it is not lime or calcium.

Where is a chemical supply house in Pattaya?

Edited by cigar7

Sounds like you've tried all the extreme methods including some recommended to you. But I think the scale is so thick you are not allowing enough time even though you think you are. Humor me by trying this method which you've probably already tried:

What you need to do is wet paper towels with white vinegar and completely cover the glass surface as if you were wall papering it. It is important you keep the towels wet the entire time (30 minutes) or more. Use a spray bottle with vinegar to keep the the towels wet. Do not allow the paper to dry. Do not use Scott pads or sand paper you'll only scratch the glass. You really need to let the vinegar work. So make it an hour if you need too. But it must stay wet the entire time.

The scale will not just disappear or fall off, you will need to wipe it off with a little elbow grease even after this application. A single edged razor blade can also be use to scrape stubborn areas but make sure you keep the blade flat against the glass so as not to scratch the glass.

Just need to be patient and let it soak. It's pain because the time involved but it does work. Good luck.

Sounds like you've tried all the extreme methods including some recommended to you. But I think the scale is so thick you are not allowing enough time even though you think you are. Humor me by trying this method which you've probably already tried:

What you need to do is wet paper towels with white vinegar and completely cover the glass surface as if you were wall papering it. It is important you keep the towels wet the entire time (30 minutes) or more. Use a spray bottle with vinegar to keep the the towels wet. Do not allow the paper to dry. Do not use Scott pads or sand paper you'll only scratch the glass. You really need to let the vinegar work. So make it an hour if you need too. But it must stay wet the entire time.

The scale will not just disappear or fall off, you will need to wipe it off with a little elbow grease even after this application. A single edged razor blade can also be use to scrape stubborn areas but make sure you keep the blade flat against the glass so as not to scratch the glass.

Just need to be patient and let it soak. It's pain because the time involved but it does work. Good luck.

I tried the vinegar again. As you instructed, I sprayed on a total of 2.1 litres (3 bottles of 700ml) of 6% acetic acid white vinegar over a 3 hour period. Each application was on the glass for 6 minutes, never did the vinegar dry onto the glass, rubbed in initially with a paper towel but then switched to a scotch brite pad. The water stains were marginally reduced. At this rate of progress, I estimate it will take at least another 3 -4 hours of rubbing.

Is there no simply, easy, less time-consuming way to remove these stains?

• Like 1

Sulfamic acid will do the job. The msds sheet sounds a bit scary but it is not that dangerous, certainly easier and safer to use than hydrochloric acid or ammonia. It should be readily available in powder form in Thailand at a chemical supply shop.

Does anyone know of a chemical supply house in Pattaya, or any other store/vendor, where I can get Sulfamic acid?

• 3 months later...

I have tried vinegar and water, lime juice, other cleaners but nothing removes the water stains. There has to be somebody or something that works on Tempered glass. Its not the same as a mirror or windshield. Can somebody who has actually removed the water marks make an entry? If you have not actually removed the stains how about not saying anything. facepalm.gif

I'm shocked that a 15 minute application of acid (acetic or ascorbic) had no effect. Do the hard water stains have a light brownish tint? They might be dolomite or magnesium, which can leach into aquifers from agricultural applications. Both of these are not easily removed by acid.

Are there any labs that can do a water analysis? If so, call them. They'll probably already have the answer on hand.

Back in the States, the midatlantic region has some seriously hard water. I had to let my humidifier heating elements soak in muratic acid for several hours to de-crud them. I removed hard water stains from my shower door glass with a Mr. Clean magic eraser, but it took a good deal of effort.

I'm not sure what the eggshell+vinegar solution (recommended earlier) is supposed to do, aside from make a whole lot of carbon dioxide. And for those mentioning sand paper and wire brushes, I guess if those don't work the next logical step is high explosives.

Edited by attrayant