Thai editorial: Ignore the power of the people at your peril

webfact

EDITORIAL
Ignore the power of the people at your peril

The Nation

Pheu Thai politicians played a dangerous game in disregarding the wave of public protest and pushing ahead with a blanket amnesty

BANGKOK: -- The ruling party is now aware of the widespread public opposition to its amnesty bill, yet some members are still sending mixed signals on whether they will continue to push it through Parliament. In pledging to abide by the Senate's decision on the bill, the Pheu Thai Party seems to have retreated from its uncompromising stance on a blanket amnesty. But figures in government, including Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, continue to voice support for the bill.

While signalling her approval for a free vote in the Senate after its debate starting on Monday, the prime minister has reiterated her backing for a blanket amnesty, which she says would lead to national reconciliation following a decade of conflict. She called on opponents of the bill to forgive and move on. And she accused citizens who have joined the anti-amnesty campaign of being influenced by people who want to bring down the government. The prime minister seems unaware that the bill's opponents now include independent-minded academics, university students and graduates, medical professionals, judges and lawyers.

Opponents of the amnesty bill say that pardoning those involved in serious corruption and crimes, rather than having them arrested and demanding they show remorse, would set a disastrous precedent for the future. The National Anti-Corruption Commission says that, if it becomes law, the bill would quash more than 25,000 graft cases.

Judging from her broadcast on state-run media on Tuesday, Yingluck sees nothing wrong with legislation that would pardon all lawbreakers involved in any political conflict since 2004, including those convicted of corruption and other serious crimes.

A large group of senators led by Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij on Tuesday promised to vote against the bill. The pledge came after the premier said the government would respect its decision. It was unnecessary for the speaker to make that promise. Their only obligation is to consider carefully whether granting amnesty to corrupt politicians is the right thing to do - and then vote in good conscience.

If the Senate votes to reject the amnesty bill, it will be returned to the Lower House after a grace period of 180 days. With the buck passed back, MPs must also vote in good conscience on whether to override the Senate decision.

Pheu Thai's majority in Parliament should be used for the benefit of the country, not for any particular individual or group. Nobody can, in good conscience, agree to corruption. So it would be against good conscience to vote in support of a bill that would absolve politicians convicted of corruption.

Parliamentarians, it should be remembered, are just representatives of the public's will. They need to heed the public's voice, particularly over such an important issue as the amnesty bill. Many civic groups have already made their voice heard via protest marches, outdoor rallies, formal statements, civil disobedience and the social media.

The wave of protest this week should serve as a warning to those parliamentarians siding with the blanket amnesty bill: underestimate the power of the people at your peril. If you continue to ignore the will of the people, prepare to be swept from power.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-08

Now that the government is faced with a 'non-bought', heart-felt, genuine protest and the protests cross color boundaries, are the MPs willing to sacrifice their political careers for Dr. Thaksin. If they do, it will mean a loss of income from graft and corruption. Dr. Thaksin is telling/asking them to go 'all in' in gambling terms. Can Dr. Thaksin restore them if they restore him? Can they trust him to restore them even if he could? These Puea Thai MPs are being told to risk all the power and influence they now have for pie in the sky Thaksin promises, (you'd have to be a fool not to know what those are worth) If they side with Dr. Thaksin, the people will never forgive them. The Red Shirts will not forgive them for giving amnesty to Mark and Suthep and the Yellows, Pinks, and Blues will not forgive them for letting Dr. Thaksin return. If they side with the People, Dr. Thaksin will never forgive them. They now have a tiger by the tail and don't know what to do.

BTW my friend says the protests will not stop until this government falls.

• Like 1

Now that the government is faced with a 'non-bought', heart-felt, genuine protest and the protests cross color boundaries, are the MPs willing to sacrifice their political careers for Dr. Thaksin. If they do, it will mean a loss of income from graft and corruption. Dr. Thaksin is telling/asking them to go 'all in' in gambling terms. Can Dr. Thaksin restore them if they restore him? Can they trust him to restore them even if he could? These Puea Thai MPs are being told to risk all the power and influence they now have for pie in the sky Thaksin promises, (you'd have to be a fool not to know what those are worth) If they side with Dr. Thaksin, the people will never forgive them. The Red Shirts will not forgive them for giving amnesty to Mark and Suthep and the Yellows, Pinks, and Blues will not forgive them for letting Dr. Thaksin return. If they side with the People, Dr. Thaksin will never forgive them. They now have a tiger by the tail and don't know what to do.

BTW my friend says the protests will not stop until this government falls.

The protests may not stop, but they'll die down. There isn't enough support to force the government out. What will it achieve?

• Like 2

Let's hope that the people have finally had enough.

The protesters must now open their eyes to the equally important issues of institutionalised corruption, an ineffective police and judiciary, the unjust and unfair application of the law, military political meddling, poor education and healthcare, and so on and so on.

And once they have done that, demand real change.

It's time to get responsible, Thailand.

Yes, what you said is all true and correct, but the problem with taking responsibility is that inherent within it, is the admission that something is wrong to begin with. Of course, in life a problem can only be addressed once you have acknowledged it. That is the crux of the problem here. It seems that Thai culture prohibits the admission of a problem. And how do you even begin to consider reform, if you cannot even admit the problem needs to be addressed? The cat continues to chase it's tail.

• Like 1

Let's hope that the people have finally had enough.

The protesters must now open their eyes to the equally important issues of institutionalised corruption, an ineffective police and judiciary, the unjust and unfair application of the law, military political meddling, poor education and healthcare, and so on and so on.

And once they have done that, demand real change.

It's time to get responsible, Thailand.

It's like watching a baby take it's first steps. Then wait when someone starts talking about how all corrupt politicians must be ousted.

Suthep will be running around like a blue assed fly saying it's time for the protests to end. Lol

And not just Suthep.

If all the corrupt Thai politicians were ousted they could hold parliamentary sessions in the Government House broom cupboard.

• Like 1

"the people" are constantly "ignoring" their power!

Now they have been throwing tantrums for a week, whenever the name "Thaksin" was mentioned.

I sincerely hope, they will do so, when other politicians (ALL other politicians) rob them of their money, when "justice" is bought and sold in other cases...but I guess, not!

• Like 1

The Nation is a not so serious newspaper and seem to have forgotten all those times that the military ignored the people by raping democracy and replacing an elected government by a military appointed one. They seem to have forgotten how a rubberstamp non elected parliament passed amnesty laws over and over again to whitewash the crimes of coup takers and makers and the Nation seem to have forgotten how military strongmen stole billions of dollars to reward themselves after a coup that made Thailand the laughing stock of the world.

The Notion also fails to mention that the power of the people seems to be unimportant when it comes down to unelected, appointed senators and when it comes to locking up economic terrorists who occupied airports therewith taking tens of thousands of foreign hostages. They also forget to mention that Suthep and Abhisit who belong in jail for ordering mass murder on Bangkok's street were the main beneficiaries of the amnesty. So yes it is a good thing the amnesty will not pass, but beware for the next stage, now Abhisit and Suthep must convince the military to commit another crime.

By the way, did anyone notice that Suthep only lacked a small moustache and his lederhosen when he is shouting to the people in the streets? He must be directly related to Adolf.

Now they have been throwing tantrums for a week, whenever the name "Thaksin" was mentioned.

I sincerely hope, they will do so, when other politicians (ALL other politicians) rob them of their money, when "justice" is bought and sold in other cases...but I guess, not!

Heck Doc you sure are obsessed with Thaksin.

Cant you see there's more to it than that?

The people out there know what the corruption by those in high places is doing to this country and this bill will absolve all those involved in corruption since 2004.

Did you not read how many senior politicians of whatever color would be let off corruption charges?

It also lets off all those who have broken the law, if they want to use politics as an excuse, that includes those who killed, fired grenades and burnt buildings in the red riots.

It absolves the red leaders who stood up on the stage and incited their supporters to burn and use violence. For it will drop all the charges pending against them.

And most of all from Abhisith and Sutheps point of view it robs of them of a chance to clear their name of all the charges brought against them, if this is passed they can never have their day in court. So their opponents can forever call them murders.

And from where I sit it will mean that the truth of what happened in 2010 will be obscured forever.

Consider who is pushing for this bill and who is against it and with a little thought you will be able to see who has the most to gain if it becomes law and who has the most to lose if it does not.

Heck Doc you sure are obsessed with Thaksin.

Cant you see there's more to it than that?

The people out there know what the corruption by those in high places is doing to this country and this bill will absolve all those involved in corruption since 2004.

Did you not read how many senior politicians of whatever color would be let off corruption charges?

It also lets off all those who have broken the law, if they want to use politics as an excuse, that includes those who killed, fired grenades and burnt buildings in the red riots.

It absolves the red leaders who stood up on the stage and incited their supporters to burn and use violence. For it will drop all the charges pending against them.

And most of all from Abhisith and Sutheps point of view it robs of them of a chance to clear their name of all the charges brought against them, if this is passed they can never have their day in court. So their opponents can forever call them murders.

And from where I sit it will mean that the truth of what happened in 2010 will be obscured forever.

Consider who is pushing for this bill and who is against it and with a little thought you will be able to see who has the most to gain if it becomes law and who has the most to lose if it does not.

Not at all obsessed with Thakisn- although some constantly accuse me of that.

Can't I see there is more to it? I can, but....

"The people out there" most likely do not have a clue and they don't give a hoot for corruption...mainly because it is a part of their everyday life and they all use it! How do I know? I work with "the people out there" ...and the only thing that get's them "out there" is the name "Thakisn"!

I know, that they SHOULD be out there for all you mentioned (and much more, might I add...maybe the ones that are convicted of certain ill- doing under a certain law that protects certain people)...but I have the very strong feeling, they are just not!

And I am not stupid: I know, who has the most to gain and the bill is a crying shame...but to assume, that all of a sudden the whole country discovered their social, democratic, justice- conscience is a joke!

• Like 1