Phuket expat Canadian arrested for illegally importing corals

webfact

Who of you guys think that this Canadian guy dived at the Thailand sea and had those corals?

Have you not thought that he may have bought them from the divers or fishermen?

Are those things become very big money just in case he re-sell them here in Thailand?

How about you (some) guys, are you sure you have your papers (working permit) making money here in Thailand ?

Don't tell me you are just here spending your millions?

Why don't you just throw your stone to those importing drugs?

I am not defending the guy.

Edited by DGIE

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to collect bits of totally dead coral that you find on the beach? I remember seeing that they arrested a Thai guy selling bracelets or something with tiny bits of them. I had thought about bringing a few pieces home once from a local beach for decoration but am scared it would be asking for trouble....

"Come off the beach" - sure!!!

So - he must have a work permit to Captain a boat/ship in Thai waters?

If they want to get rid of the guy I would think that would also be a charge,,,,,

They do not issue work permits for boat captains in Thailand. It is an occupation reserved for Thais. Foriegn staff working on Thai registered boats operating in Thai waters would only need a WP if it were a Thai flagged vessel and operating primarily in Thai waters. Also, he would need a Thai captains license only if it were a Thai flagged vessel.

So - he must have a work permit to Captain a boat/ship in Thai waters?

If they want to get rid of the guy I would think that would also be a charge,,,,,

Where does it say he captains a ship in Thai waters?

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Acting on a tip-off from a good citizen, police yesterday arrested a 59-year-old Canadian for smuggling coral into Thailand.

The "Citizen" would need to have known about the value and potential nature of the crime and have been close enough to have watched in detail as the transfer took place.

Quite a feat for an average random person, the cynical part of me wonders if it was a local competitor that was simply removing competition in business when they saw an opportunity to do so.

The Canadian's mistake was being so brazen and not making the effort to put the coral in bags/boxes before moving them.

Acting on a tip-off from a good citizen, police yesterday arrested a 59-year-old Canadian for smuggling coral into Thailand.

The "Citizen" would need to have known about the value and potential nature of the crime and have been close enough to have watched in detail as the transfer took place.

Quite a feat for an average random person, the cynical part of me wonders if it was a local competitor that was simply removing competition in business when they saw an opportunity to do so.

The Canadian's mistake was being so brazen and not making the effort to put the coral in bags/boxes before moving them.

Surely, the Canadian's mistake was in breaking the Law ?

• Like 2

They caught a trophy farang for show. All the illegal trades still flow. coffee1.gif

Is there any country in the world which gives immunity from prosecution to foreigners ? Canada ?

There is a country that seems to prosecute foreigners for things that natives of that country aren't, especially in an area known as Phuket...

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to collect bits of totally dead coral that you find on the beach? I remember seeing that they arrested a Thai guy selling bracelets or something with tiny bits of them. I had thought about bringing a few pieces home once from a local beach for decoration but am scared it would be asking for trouble....

Yes, technically this is illegal. You are also not allowed to take plants from the forest or stones from a stream. Anything from nature.

Tourists recently coming back from the Similan Islands told me all the coral there was broken. One of the reasons being that too many people booking a cheap one day snorkeling tour harvest free souvenirs. Once even guests of mine took a giant double shell, the animal inside still alive, back to the hotel. Soon the room started stinking terribly. I refrained from calling the police, but wonder what would have happened if I would have done so.

pay fine and get out no problem next time be carefull its not big crime some body beats a Farang and he gets 500 B. Fine cmon get going

I think he will be deported/expelled.

Even that is too good for him. When I used to teach diving, I told my students if they touched, much less tried to bring back, some marine life they might not make it back from the dive. I can do a sinister laugh so they were never sure if I was joking or not.

David

[

Yes, technically this is illegal. You are also not allowed to take plants from the forest or stones from a stream. Anything from nature.

Technically illegal is the equivalent of a little bit pregnant.

David

• Like 1