No wonder why some end up with financial problems!

khunpa

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now a usufruct is not an agreement?

You do understand what the word agreement, especially ANY agreement means don't you.

You are excused if English is not your first language.

Father of wife owns land and loans the Farang money to build house. Father grants Farang usefruct. Can wife terminate the agreement between father and wife's Farang husband?

Edited by thailiketoo

That is easy. No. Because she is not a party on the agreement.

Even if the father died and she inherited it.

The reason is that she did not go into that agreement while being married with the foreigner.

Her signature is also not on the agreement, further proof that it is not an agreement between wife and husband.

I have to agree somewhat with the OP about people in responsible positions, particularly banks here, who have surprisingly little knowledge about standard business/banking practices. I speak from the experience of being a former banker (5 years) and doing export/import business throughout Asia. I am constantly presented with blank forms to sign, to be filled in later by the bank staff. I have had bank employees here completely mess up the simplest of transactions and procedures. Also, there is an appalling lack of consistency between the branches of the same bank, in my case, SBC. In one branch, you need a passport to get another ATM card, in another branch, you just show your passbook, and they look up your ID data in the system.

It's incredibly 3rd-world, at the banking level. For serious/complicated banking processes and/or dealing with large amounts of funds, I highly recommend using a foreign bank within Thailand such as Bank of America or HSBC.

Is that the Bank of America that had to be bailed out by the US taxpayer just a few short years ago...?

• Like 1

I often read this word: usufruct.

I think I know what this means. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any case the usufruct has ever been challenged in court?

There are so many laws and loopholes in Thailand. My daughter once said Thailand just seems to make things difficult for you! I think she makes sense.

There are many laws in many countries.

As a foreigner you just have to remember that the only real estate you can own is a condo.

All other options mean a right to use it of which a usufruct is the easiest and even cheapest.

Just make sure you use the form at the landoffice, because when a lawyer makes it the changes that it will invalidate it is getting larger with every clause added.

So it is actually pretty simple.

The laughter is the dead giveaway. (suggest some book on transactional analysis, "the gallows laugh") It means "Oh, you see the scam I have staring me in the face". And knowing how many perceive foreign guys and gossip, she may bend to others advice, decide you are not "the one and only", that she would be a fool not to take the house and look for even better guy.