CAPO to screen vehicles entering Bangkok in fear of third-party attacks

webfact

CAPO to screen vehicles entering Bangkok in fear of third-party attacks

BANGKOK, 8 November 2013 (NNT) - The Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) is setting up checkpoints to screen oncoming vehicles for weapons before they enter Bangkok ahead of planned protests against the amnesty bill this weekend.

According to CAPO deputy spokesperson Maj General Anucha Ramayanantana, currently the number of protesters at main rally sites including Ratchadamnoen Avenue and Makkawan Bridge is estimated at 13,000.

Police are tightening security around the capital by screening those entering Bangkok over the weekend in a bid to prevent possible attacks carried out by third-party groups.

Meanwhile, networks affiliated with the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship are preparing to travel to Bangkok on Sunday in order to support the government’s decision to drop the amnesty bills, and to protect the government from opposing forces. The groups are set to gather at Suphachalasai Stadium in the capital.

Police have also announced the closure of 8 major roads around rally sites in a bid to ease traffic congestion caused by the gathering.

Roads set to be sealed off include Rajavithi road, Ratchadamnoen Nok avenue, Sri Ayutthaya road and Phitsanulok road. Commuters are advised to use Ratchasima road, Sukhothai road and other nearby routes to avoid the congestion.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-08 footer_n.gif

Most likely just a strategy to prevent others from joining the rallies.

My thoughts too.

Brings an interesting question given the protests just seen and continuing:

'Would the gov't now risk being caught out using a smokescreen to stop people joining the protests'?

"Roads set to be sealed off include Rajavithi road, Ratchadamnoen Nok avenue, Sri Ayutthaya road and Phitsanulok road. Commuters are advised to use Ratchasima road, Sukhothai road and other nearby routes to avoid the congestion."

I guess I'll take a motorcy again tonight, from BTS Victory Monument towards NakornChaisri. Two days ago traffic on SawanKhlok/Sukhothai T-crossing was completely stuck. I don't assume it'll be better tonight.

Maybe they will be asking the occupants of vehicles which rally they are intending to visit.

Red rally at Supachalasai Stadium or the Anti amnesty rally at Democracy Monument.

Things are heating up over this problem and it looks like the Puea Thai Party is calling in the Red squads as backup. Things could get quite heated even though it might be raining in Bangkok.

Meanwhile, networks affiliated with the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship are preparing to travel to Bangkok on Sunday in order to support the government’s decision to drop the amnesty bills, and to protect the government from opposing forces.

Support the governments drop of which amnesty bills ? They can propose only one at the time to the Senate I assume, and that has and is still happening as far as I understand, and all the others are useless at that point. As if it was only because Thaksin's whitewash wasn't included in those dropped.

Interesting times ahead, time to stock up on canned foods I would say.

My thoughts too.

Brings an interesting question given the protests just seen and continuing:

'Would the gov't now risk being caught out using a smokescreen to stop people joining the protests'?

A valid point but with your back being pressed more and more againt the wall maybe they'll think anything is worth a go.

CAPO - The Center for Administration of Peace and Order. Boy oh boy, these Thais . They sure know how to make it sound ominous. Wow, these Thais, they nail it again.

" Capo

Caporegime / capo is a name for a captain in the mafia family, the family will consist of many captains and the boss which is a capo crimini. "
Perhaps this choice of an acronym was a Freudian slip...
  • Like 1