O-negative blood urgently needed

raro

Yet again a request for O negative blood.

A friend of ine is at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospotal with serious internal bleedings and need an urgent refill.

Shall you happen to have this (rare) blood type, please go to the BPH and donate.

Thanks a lot!

Hope you friend successfully recovers. I feel bad for foreigners who have to experience these 2nd rate hospitals in Thailand. Hope he can be safely transferred to a decent Bangkok hospital and fully recover.

I got 0rh+ I was told i can give it to everyone, but take only same type for myself 0rh+.

So i think my blood type can be taken by anyone.

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT:

1. you, being rh+, can receive without problems blood from a rh- donor (assuming all the other blood type parameters match, of course !!)

BUT

2. a rh- recipient can NOT receive rh+ blood as it would make the recipient's immune system "attack" the blood which carries the rh+ antigen the recipient's blood does not have

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 2

I would love to be able to help, but I had dengue fever recently, and I was told that I cannot give blood for a year. I am in Kanchanaburi at the moment and I will be driving down to Bangkok this afternoon.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was wondering if the hospitals expect it to be given free? Given the extortionate fees that they charge patients (about 20,000 baht for blood in bkk) and the typical 70%+ gross profit margins sonars shouldn't be expected to view any private hospital as a charity.

• Like 1

I was wondering if the hospitals expect it to be given free? Given the extortionate fees that they charge patients (about 20,000 baht for blood in bkk) and the typical 70%+ gross profit margins sonars shouldn't be expected to view any private hospital as a charity.

Even a cabfare wouldn't go astray.

Hope you friend successfully recovers. I feel bad for foreigners who have to experience these 2nd rate hospitals in Thailand. Hope he can be safely transferred to a decent Bangkok hospital and fully recover.

I feel bad for posters who take unnecessary cheap shots.

Had a very bad experience there. Patients beware. Enough said!

• Like 1

Just an idea... I have O- Rhesus blood but I'm in Ubon Ratchathani and thus too far away. I have read this many times here on Thaivisa, people urgently needing O-Neg blood and can't find any.

I give when I go to Bangkok at the Red Cross as I was told only blood given there can be sent to any provincial hospital that needs it.

Edited by Rimmer

I recently had a hip replacement they required two liters of blood to be on hand. Not sure if they used it or not. I have type O RH-.

In the west it is not a big deal as there are a lot of people who have it. Type O is the most common blood type and 15% of the people who have type O are RH-.

Here in Asia there is from what I have been told less than 1% of the population with RH- thus it is rare here.

They had to put my operation off until they could find the second unit of blood they had received one from Bangkok.

It made me think most of us here are over the age of 60 and are ineligible to give it. So I thought why not ask any visitors we have if they would consider giving a unit of blood. My son is also RH- and comes over every year. I talked to him and he said no problem. So I would urge people to ask visitors if they would not mind giving a unit, If not that would be OK. If they do it could save a life. Not all cases are like mine where they could afford to put it off.

My concern is with human life not how much others make off it. Before I moved here I was a regular donor and never once received any thing for it. Here in Chiang Mai We have two red cross places we can give. Not sure where but intend on finding out. Will then post it here on are local forum. Maybe just post on the General forum also. I might add that in Canada I was allowed to give up until the age of 65.

• Like 1

I feel bad for posters who take unnecessary cheap shots.

I agree. Unfortunately there is an abundance of posters that latch on to any vehicle to vent their acidic remarks. Reading posts with an open mind and posting with consideration and compassion is not an attribute that they possess.

Peace All.

• Like 2

Drunken ramblings or what

The OP DID say Bangkok/pattaya hospital,one in Pattaya and one in,yes u guessed it, BANGKOK

• Like 1

The whole thing was for me a bit of an eye opener. I don't even know what blood type I am myself. Went through all sorts of blood test records that I have on file and nada....no info whatsoever! Will certainly test for it upon next blood sampling.

It also showed how precious blood is, my buddy's life was this morning hanging on a rather thin thread as they were running out of blood. The operation itself was rather minor and he can probably leave the hospital as early as tomorrow.

Note to self: go and donate some blood asap, there is someone out there who needs it.

• Like 1

just to update and close this threat before it gets into a pissing contest:

My buddy made it through the operation and the bleeding has been stopped. Thanks to all of you out there who helped where they could, the situation was very serious this morning.

And the BPH made a great job. I didn't say many good things about the hospital in the past based on my own personal experience. But this is years ago and it seems that things have changed there for the better when it comes to treating emergencies like this one.

I don't think there ever has been a question about the quality of service given at BPH, it is the price to quality ratio that has gone lost over the past few years.

• Like 1

Hi

I am new member on this forum and i happen to be a medical doctor from the U.S.

I noticed that someone wrote that Type O blood is rare in Thailand .

The prevalence of Type O in Thailand is about 40% ( the highest ) , followed in descending order by Type B, then Type A

then last is Type AB.

The reality is that there is an overall shortage of blood supplies in Thailand mainly due to a decrease in donations . I read that many people are under the impression that there is ample supply , which is why , they only donate when they are urged by the red cross or other institutions .

There is more need for blood type O , possibly because it is a very common type ( more need for it ) yet not enough people with blood type O donate .

I wonder if it possible to pre- donate some of your own blood and have it saved for any future emergency use , like you can back in the U.S. !! this maybe a worthwhile thing to investigate .

Dear Doc.,

Sorry but I'm doubt in 40% Type "0" of Thai nation.

My daughter was born at January in Bangkok (blood type "0 Neg" and her Doctor (approx. 70 yrs old) told me she has seen only 5 people in all her praxis with this blood type. I'm also "0 Neg" but I'm in Europe now :(

regards

my sister from canada was ill when on holiday here. she received excellent service and treatment. so have i for my diabetes treatments and my family for dental treatment. the costs were not overly expensive. all were done at the bangkok pattaya hospital, it looks clean and the staff are very good although there is always one misery, which i suggest is true in hospitals throughout the world.

i cant give blood because i am diabetic so can be of no assistance, sorry.

that's a very fair point....

business on the one hand, charity on the other.....