O-negative blood urgently needed

raro

o- can give to anyone and receive only from o-

AB+ can give to no one but ab+ but can receive from anyone.

Seems not fair at allsad.png

I remember reading somewhere that o- bloodtype is one of the oldest types and ab+ is a relative new type?

Is this true?

Edited by ikbenhet

Hi

I am new member on this forum and i happen to be a medical doctor from the U.S.

I noticed that someone wrote that Type O blood is rare in Thailand .

The prevalence of Type O in Thailand is about 40% ( the highest ) , followed in descending order by Type B, then Type A

then last is Type AB.

The reality is that there is an overall shortage of blood supplies in Thailand mainly due to a decrease in donations . I read that many people are under the impression that there is ample supply , which is why , they only donate when they are urged by the red cross or other institutions .

There is more need for blood type O , possibly because it is a very common type ( more need for it ) yet not enough people with blood type O donate .

I wonder if it possible to pre- donate some of your own blood and have it saved for any future emergency use , like you can back in the U.S. !! this maybe a worthwhile thing to investigate .

Dear Doc.,

Sorry but I'm doubt in 40% Type "0" of Thai nation.

My daughter was born at January in Bangkok (blood type "0 Neg" and her Doctor (approx. 70 yrs old) told me she has seen only 5 people in all her praxis with this blood type. I'm also "0 Neg" but I'm in Europe now sad.png

regards

The Doc was correct. Fyi...GIYF (Google Is Your Friend)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485086

I hope your friend is okay. That said, I nearly spit my coffee through my nose when I read--

"6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity. No record of drug use."

In Pattaya?

Sweeping statement don't you think? Bad form. Not all live the same way.

There have been some excellent posts on this thread.

Personally I think the idea of logging our blood type on Thaivisa is very good. I will sign up.

Here are the Qualifications for Blood donations at BPH, the hospital can be contacted on 1719 for any questions.

Interesting. I am rather shocked at how restrictive that is. I don't think that is normal in the west. I wonder if all those restrictions are medically justified. I really doubt it!

• Like 1

Hi 

I am new member on this forum and i happen to be  a medical doctor from the U.S.

The prevalence of Type O in Thailand is about 40% ( the highest ) , followed in descending order  by Type B, then Type A 

then last is Type AB. 

The reality is that there is an overall shortage of blood supplies in Thailand mainly due to a decrease in donations . I read that many people are under the impression that there is ample supply , which is why , they only donate when they  are urged  by the red cross or other institutions . 

There is more need for blood type O , possibly because it is a  very common type ( more need for it ) yet not enough people with blood type O donate .

I wonder if it possible to pre- donate some of your own blood and have it saved for  any future emergency use , like you can back in the U.S. !! this maybe a worthwhile thing to investigate .

0 is indeed very common, but only 0+, 0- is very rare - I saw a figure of .3% among Thai population.

Hope you friend successfully recovers. I feel bad for foreigners who have to experience these 2nd rate hospitals in Thailand. Hope he can be safely transferred to a decent Bangkok hospital and fully recover.

I would not rate The Bangkok Pattaya as second rate.

(They always charge the top rate.)

Here are the Qualifications for Blood donations at BPH, the hospital can be contacted on 1719 for any questions.

Blood Donation
Donors' Qualifications:
1. 17-60 years of age.
2. Excellent health, with the weight over 45 kg.
3. No history of hepatitis or jaundice.
4. No history of malarial fever for the past
3 years and no sexually transmitted diseases,infectious diseases, persistent cough, coughing up blood, hemophilia, blood-related diseases,asthma, allergy, epilepsy, long-term skin diseases, kidney diseases, heart problems, diabetes, thyroid.
5. No considerable weight loss.
6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity. No record of drug use.
7. Female donors are not menstruating or pregnant.
Before blood donation:
  • Get enough sleep-at least 6 hours.
  • Stay healthy--free from colds and medications.
  • Prior to the donation, eat non-fat digestible food.
  • No alcoholic beverages 24 hours before the donation.
  • To enhance the blood-purifying capacity of the lungs, quit smoking 1 hour before and after the donation.
Please do not give blood if:
  • You or your spouse has been involved in sexual intercourse with a male or femaleprostitute without using condoms during the past 3 months.
  • You or your spouse have been intravenous drug users.
  • You have tested positive for HIV.
After Blood Donation:
  • Rest for a while. Getting up abruptly may cause nausea.
  • Drink the beverage prepared for you
  • and drink a lot of water for 1 day.
  • Make sure you feel all right before leaving.
  • In case of dizziness, tell the officer immediately.
  • Take the prescribed iron 1 tablet once a day to prevent iron deficiency.
  • To prevent bruises and swelling, avoid using the punctured arm for 12 hours.
  • Avoid activities that use too much energy and cause perspiration.

<6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity>

I can't be the only poster here that thinks that that would exclude the majority of expats in Thailand ( and probably in the world, for that matter- even Bill Clinton wouldn't qualify! ).

Interesting. I am rather shocked at how restrictive that is. I don't think that is normal in the west. I wonder if all those restrictions are medically justified. I really doubt it!

True. In the days when I donated blood, there wasn't anything like those restrictions imposed. They were just happy to get the blood.

I hope your friend is okay. That said, I nearly spit my coffee through my nose when I read--

"6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity. No record of drug use."

In Pattaya?

No need to ruin your coffee. I suspect there are plenty of people that qualify for item 6. although I'm not sure since I haven't met everyone.

We only notice those that may dabble in those behaviors since they are "visible" and those that don't are perhaps overlooked. I've not met anyone who commented on the sober and chaste, but rather hear endless stories of debauchery and sexual conquests.

All in all, it's Live and Let Live. Back to blood donations. Too bad they don't accept donations from those of us over 60.

Glad the OPs friend is on the road to recovery.

I founding my 0rh+ that is very attractive to mosquitos. They bite me more then others. It must be it. I not sweety person so dont think it smells. May b feromones. Dont know. All i know i am mosquitos target... :)

Wysłane z mojego GT-I9505 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I founding my 0rh+ that is very attractive to mosquitos. They bite me more then others. It must be it. I not sweety person so dont think it smells. May b feromones. Dont know. All i know i am mosquitos target... smile.png

Mosquitoes are attracted by CO2, not smells. ie you must excrete a lot of CO2.

• Like 1

I founding my 0rh+ that is very attractive to mosquitos. They bite me more then others. It must be it. I not sweety person so dont think it smells. May b feromones. Dont know. All i know i am mosquitos target... Posted Image

Are they.

Hmm interesting.

Well cant measure it.

I founding my 0rh+ that is very attractive to mosquitos. They bite me more then others. It must be it. I not sweety person so dont think it smells. May b feromones. Dont know. All i know i am mosquitos target... Posted Image

Mosquitoes locate bloodhosts by scent, sight and heat. From 100 feet away (30 meters) mosquitoes can smell your scent, especially the carbon dioxide (CO2) you exhale. Biting flies are even better; they can smell their prey from 300 feet (100 meters) away. Because CO2 is present in the atmosphere (plants take in CO2 and give off oxygen), mosquitoes respond to higher-than-normal concentrations, especially when the CO2 is mixed with host-odor. They follow your scent upwind, and can see you at a distance of about 30 feet (10 meters).

Hope you friend successfully recovers. I feel bad for foreigners who have to experience these 2nd rate hospitals in Thailand. Hope he can be safely transferred to a decent Bangkok hospital and fully recover.

I feel bad for posters who take unnecessary cheap shots.

Had a very bad experience there. Patients beware. Enough said!

Well, not enough said. It's a fact of life that doctors, nurses are people and do make mistakes, but for every negative experience like yours there are scores of BHP success stories. When I am sitting at the Surgery Department and see half the patient makeup is Thai and have many lower cost options, that tells me something. When I call Anthem Blue Cross (American health insurance comany) and ask for a hospital recommendation in Pattaya, I am told the only hospital that meets their standard and is on their Preferred Provider list is BHP. Now enough said.

After reading this thread I am going to learn more about blood types, including my own.

Hi

I am new member on this forum and i happen to be a medical doctor from the U.S.

The prevalence of Type O in Thailand is about 40% ( the highest ) , followed in descending order by Type B, then Type A

then last is Type AB.

The reality is that there is an overall shortage of blood supplies in Thailand mainly due to a decrease in donations . I read that many people are under the impression that there is ample supply , which is why , they only donate when they are urged by the red cross or other institutions .

There is more need for blood type O , possibly because it is a very common type ( more need for it ) yet not enough people with blood type O donate .

I wonder if it possible to pre- donate some of your own blood and have it saved for any future emergency use , like you can back in the U.S. !! this maybe a worthwhile thing to investigate .

Perhaps if you were a real doctor you would know that RH negative is not the most common type of blood here in Thailand. You should if you are a real doctor know there is a big difference between RH negative and RH positive.

Why would you want to post a obviously false post. I said I had heard RH negative was rare in Asians I did not say type O was rare. Maybe I heard the wrong information but that in no way negates the fact that out of all the type O only 15% of them are negative. Why would you a supposed doctor want to mislead people in such a serious matter? Even using your figure of 40% being type O there is only 6%being RH negative.

Once again I say if you have visitors coming ask them if they would care to donate a unit of blood if not that would be OK.

I feel bad for posters who take unnecessary cheap shots.

Had a very bad experience there. Patients beware. Enough said!

Well, not enough said. It's a fact of life that doctors, nurses are people and do make mistakes, but for every negative experience like yours there are scores of BHP success stories. When I am sitting at the Surgery Department and see half the patient makeup is Thai and have many lower cost options, that tells me something. When I call Anthem Blue Cross (American health insurance comany) and ask for a hospital recommendation in Pattaya, I am told the only hospital that meets their standard and is on their Preferred Provider list is BHP. Now enough said.

After reading this thread I am going to learn more about blood types, including my own.

You said

Thank you it is at least one positive thing coming out of this thread. Every one should know there blood type and if it is negative or positive. Having given as a regular routine in Canada where I was allowed to give until I was 65 I can say it is not that big of a deal and might save some ones life. No mattter what type blood you have.

By the time I saw this you said your friend recovered. I have O- blood for future reference. I called BPH and they told me they have no facilities for taking my blood and that I should call Sri Racha hospital that has a Red Cross donation program. Sri Racha said they don't do blood donations on Sundays and that the blood goes where it is needed. So I came back to the thread and saw that your buddy has recovered. Good news for all of us with O-Neg. We can donate to everyone, but we can only take another O-Neg transfusion.

The first time I gave blood at the hospital in Chumphon, I walked in and said I wanted to donate, the lady sat there and asked me (without looking up) what my blood type is, when I said I am o-neg her head snapped up with eyes wide open and welcomed me warmly, I was told afterwards that person who was badly injured in an accident was waiting for blood and my blood saved his life. I have been told of others who have been helped, as a result, whenever my wife goes in for a blood test she goes straight to the front of the line.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2