Why go to so much trouble marrying/dating someone of a different culture, nationality, mentality etc

ogey boogey

Seeing some of the complaints here i really wonder why some of you guys who i assume are most likely farang and speak english would want to trouble yourselves with a female that is of another race, culture, country and speaks a language that isn't closely related to english at all. In fact i really wonder why put yourself through so much pain and suffering like complaining how you don't understand her and she doesn't understand you. How you find her countrymen so odd and behave so differently from the way people of your country behave and still persist in staying in thailand and persist in carrying on a relationship with a thai girl. Are some of you masochistic by any chance?

• Like 2

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: Normality is very boring, no one wants to read or write about that.

You never read in the press about how such and such Politician is a loyal loving husband do you? You only ever see the Tabloid gossip, the juicy stuff...

It's the same here on ThaiVisa.com... We only read about the train wrecks, but to draw the assumption that this is representative of majority of relationships between Westerners and Thai's is somewhat naive...

Are you sure?

From what I see happening with my friends and their relationships (many same age couples, many Thai/Thai couples, several old/young couples), it's entirely normal for this country.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Who cares about language and culture??coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifBeautiful-thai-Women.jpg

Well yes I see your point but I believe I was talking about marrying and dating them not just merely doing the nasty which is purely physical and doesn't involve anything as complicated when one is going to marry or date someone and you can see this perfectly since one can have sex with an inanimate object or a creature of another species for example.

• Like 1

Who cares about language and culture??coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifBeautiful-thai-Women.jpg

Well yes I see your point but I believe I was talking about marrying and dating them not just merely doing the nasty which is purely physical and doesn't involve anything as complicated when one is going to marry or date someone and you can see this perfectly since one can have sex with an inanimate object or a creature of another species for example.

Judging by some of the mixed couples walking around in various areas of Thailand I suspect that dating 'another species' is not such a rarity !...

Some farangs who decide to marry with women from Thailand have certain defects, such as being unattractive or unfashionable and socially inept, misfits, loners, or have done the rounds in their home countries - become stayed in their ways – maybe have grown old and no longer desirable to younger Western women.

So they have read all the reports and media hype that Thai women are loyal, subservient and given a chance to settle down with a home and a little pocket money each week will be content to settle down with any farang, becoming a sweet little housewife and be grateful for it.

Then later the reality hits the fan that Thai women are no longer the easily available, cute, sweet, young, subservient little princesses as they were made to believe and that in fact the modern day Thai women are not much different from their Western counterparts, have similar outlooks and ambitions. This is a main reason why so many farangs go for the more desperate Thai women of the poorer lower classes, because most middle to upper class Thai women would prefer to marry a Thai rather than a farang. Culturally it is considered going down the social ladder to marry a farang, especially if there is a big age gap between them. Then these farangs become disgruntled having not been able to buy the girl of their dreams and their love and will blame all Thais and the country as a whole for their failures and errors of choice or for diving in head first on a pipe dream for what was actually a fanciful hope or scheme, especially if they get conned or scammed for their blind stupidity

My word! That is some disclaimer. Thanks for your honesty.

• Like 1

Many farangs who decide to marry with women from Thailand have certain defects, such as being unattractive or unfashionable and socially inept, misfits, loners, or have done the rounds in their home countries - become stayed in their ways – maybe have grown old and no longer desirable to younger Western women.

So they have read all the reports and media hype that Thai women are loyal, subservient and given a chance to settle down with a home and a little pocket money each week will be content to settle down with any farang, becoming a sweet little housewife and be grateful for it.

Then later the reality hits home that Thai women are no longer the easily available, cute, sweet, young, subservient little princesses as they were made to believe and that in fact the modern day Thai women are not much different from their Western counterparts, have similar outlooks and ambitions. This is a main reason why so many farangs go for the more desperate Thai women of the poorer lower classes, because most middle to upper class Thai women would prefer to marry a Thai rather than a farang. Culturally it is considered going down the social ladder to marry a farang, especially if there is a big age gap between them. Then these farangs become disgruntled having not been able to buy the girl of their dreams and their love and will blame all Thais and the country as a whole for their failures and errors of choice or for diving in head first on a pipe dream for what was actually a fanciful hope or scheme, especially if they get conned or scammed for their stupidity.

Fairly good write up there, accurate for a decent percentage of cases I would imagine. Although, the part about Thai women "going down the social ladder". If a western guy was to pull up in the middle of Bangkok in a Ferrari I would guess for a huge amount of wealthy Thai women that notion of "going down the social ladder" would be soon discarded.

And how many Westerners do you personally know in Thailand who own a Ferrari or any other types of vehicles of equal status? Obviously the higher the status of the Westerner, the higher his chances are of mixing with the right crowds, especially if he is a businessman or someone of prominence. This pertains to anywhere in the world.

Of course there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but on the whole what i said still stands.

It only stands because of the situation and not the notion, not too many many baller Ferrari owning western guys living permanently in Thailand. If a large influx of those types started to move into Thailand from their pads in Monaco, New York and London do you think that rule would still apply?

..... that in fact the modern day Thai women are not much different from their Western counterparts, have similar outlooks and ambitions.

I never met an English university student in the UK that would have sex with an old guy, two or three times her age, for a tenner.

Have you tried looking for a student prositute in the UK? Maybe you haven't been looking hard enough!

http://investigatestudentprostitution.wordpress.com/

You might be right about them charging more than a tenner though.

• Like 1

Why go to the trouble of getting married to ANY women....Divorce rates in America are 4.95 per 1000 and in Thailand its .58 per 1000 (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_div_rat-people-divorce-rate )

You do the math!

Whoa! I do like the looks of that site and it seems well managed with a whole bunch of data, but unless I am misunderstanding the ratio meaning, these figures seem waaaaaaaaaay off. Is this 4.95 marriages out of 1,000 marriages end in divorce? HELL NO! Who runs this site. The Vatican? 495 per 1,000 is probably closer, but still a bit shy of the real total.

I do agree with you anyway. Why marry any woman? It's just a three-way contract and the third (most powerful) entity usually makes things much worse, should something bad happen within the institution.

P.S. - The Thai female in the above picture is pretty damn far from ugly! Light chocolate for the taste buds!

Why go to the trouble of getting married to ANY women....Divorce rates in America are 4.95 per 1000 and in Thailand its .58 per 1000 (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_div_rat-people-divorce-rate )

You do the math!

Whoa! I do like the looks of that site and it seems well managed with a whole bunch of data, but unless I am misunderstanding the ratio meaning, these figures seem waaaaaaaaaay off. Is this 4.95 marriages out of 1,000 marriages end in divorce? HELL NO! Who runs this site. The Vatican? 495 per 1,000 is probably closer, but still a bit shy of the real total.

I do agree with you anyway. Why marry any woman? It's just a three-way contract and the third (most powerful) entity usually makes things much worse, should something bad happen within the institution.

P.S. - The Thai female in the above picture is pretty dam_n far from ugly! Light chocolate for the taste buds!

Yes it does seem a bit low.....but this is the divorce rate vs total population..

In the US there are 6.8 marriages per 1000 AND

3.6 Divorces per 1000...........(yes, I know this conflicts with the earlier statistic....oh well)............................http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/divorce.htm

Seems to suggest a higher than 50% divorce rate for married couples

Edited by bocceball1

Derogatory post about Thai girls and quoted replies removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

[...] but to draw the assumption that this is representative of majority of relationships between Westerners and Thai's is somewhat naive...

Wow, we have normal people with normal relationships here too. Shock, shock!! biggrin.png

Edited by Morakot