Microsoft IE11 and ThaiVisa Editor when adding a Post "Link"

Pib

Upgraded from IE10 to IE11 last night...easy enough. So far only run into two issues: (1) a problem logging onto Bangkok Bank ibanking...fixed that problem by setting the site to Compatibility View setting, (2) issue which I just discover today is when trying to use the Link icon in the ThaiVisa post editor.

When I click the Link icon in the editor now a more detailed window to add the link pops up, I can enter the link in the window, but the OK and Cancel buttons to finalize or abort the link are greyed out...and the only way to get the window to disappear and to go back one page which causes you to lose what you have wrote...and of course the link you were trying to enter also. I tried using Compatibility View but that didn't help. I also opened up Chrome and the ThaiVisa Editor Link worked as normal...so that seems to indicate it's a IE11 and ThaiVisa Editor compatibly issue, some tweak/setting in IE11 to make it fully work with ThaiVisa I haven't figured out yet, etc.

Anyone else upgraded to IE11 for Win 7 which was officially released a few days ago and having the issue in using the ThaiVisa editor "to add/imbed a link to the post?" Thanks.

• Like 1

Can't seem to edit my original post above I made a few minutes ago and wanted to add this additional info: I just noticed I also can't use the add Image feature on the Editor when using IE11. Had no problem using all the ThaiVisa editor features when on IE10...and Chrome works to. If anyone is having the problems that I'm having and has fixed the issue, thanks in advance for the answer on how to fix it (other than using another browser or the Editor in text mode). Then again, maybe it's just a compatibility issue between the ThaiVisa editor and new features in IE11 which will require update of the ThaiVisa editor for those of us who do want to use IE11 when on ThaiVisa.

Yes I upgraded to IE11 to day and have had the same problem with adding a link to ThaiVisa post.

Seems over complicated so just gave up.

Also just noticed Copy/Paste does not seem to work sad.png

Will have a play around with it tomorrow and see if I can beat it into shape whistling.gif

Also just noticed it seems to have a built in spellcheck w00t.gif misspelt word underlined in red thumbsup.gif

Well, please tell me if you find a fix, because I just did a Restore Point thing back to my IE10 about an hour ago and the problems with the ThaiVisa Editor are gone. Just didn't feel like messing with it any more, especially since IE11 downloaded/installed/upgraded IE10 so fast for me when I decide to reinstall IE11. But if the core issue is with the ThaiVisa Editor vs IE11, I guess we'll just need to wait until the Editor is updated to fully work with IE11.

Yea, IE11 has a built-in spell checker just as IE10 does. And between my spelling capabilities and Chang beer's impact on me, I definitely need a spell checker.

Thanks.

Edited by Pib

I upgraded from IE8 so quite a difference for me.

I did try IE9 and I think IE10 can't quite remember but did not like the layout, no tabs as far as I recall.

IE11 looks vey much like I'm used to with IE8 so thought we had a winner but seems there are some serious problems. sad.png

Will spend some time with it tomorrow. If it's too problematic will restore back to IE8

coffee1.gif

Good to know you are on the case Mr. George Sir thumbsup.gif

Another problem I notice this morning was trying to attach a file.

No problem to "Attach this file" it appeared below the compose window but when I tried "Add to Post" nothing happened.

After several attempts "Add to Post" gave up and just clicked on "Add Reply" only to find the file was in fact attached but at the end of my post not in the middle where I had wanted it.

Clicked back to Edit my post but the attached file still was not visible so no way to know in the compose window where the file was or if in fact it was actually attached. sad.png

Edited by Daffy D

Already got some feedback from the software vendor. The issues are with the editor itself being not compatible with IE11. We ask you to use an alternative browser in the meantime.

I would recommend Chrome or Firefox browsers as they are both faster and less vulnerable to various issues. Avoid IE11 for now!

George,

Assuming it is an issue with the Editor and when it's fixed, please post the fix has been put in place. That way, one day when I wondering if IE11 for Win 7 and the ThaiVisa Editor now get along I won't have to load IE11 to find out because I will know already its been fixed.

I kinda broke one of my rules about upgrading to a major browser upgrade/release by doing it when it "immediately" comes out versus waiting a month or two since inevitably there are compatibility bugs/issues either with the browser itself or websites needing to do some adjustment to work with the new version. Someday I will learn and follow my own rules better.

Pib

Edit: was writing and posting above when George made his post....passing in the night. George, while I have and occasionally use Chrome on my laptop, its slower than IE10 "for me/on my 'puter"...and for the short time I had IE11 loaded I could tell it was slightly faster than IE10 which makes it faster than Chrome (at least for me/on my 'puter). Maybe I'll give Firefox a try someday. Hope there is an early fix to the editor to allow it and IE11 to get along. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

Another Microsoft moment!

I had a similar problem with the compulsory Yahoo upgrade. I could not access my e-mails for days until they fixed the problems.

If you bought a Mercedes and it kept crashing and breaking down you wouldn't expect to pay for it until the problems are fixed. With Microsoft the problems have continued since W32 right through to Windows 8. If windows crashes irrecoverably Microsoft tell you that you have to buy a new copy of Windows. I don't think Mercedes could get away with telling you to buy a brand new car because the car you bought keeps breaking down.

I've had zero issues with IE8, IE9, or IE10 on ThaiVisa and other websites. While using IE11 for X-hours the other day and surfing to many of the websites I frequent, to include logon to my various financial accounts I didn't have any issues other than needing to set the Bangkok Bank ibanking site to Compatibility View and then it worked fine...no biggie. For ThaiVisa I could surf around the site and view posts no problem, but when trying to use the ThaiVisa Editor to make a post "to include a Link or an Image insert" it just couldn't be done; if I wanted to add a post of text with no Links/Images the editor worked fine...it's just some special/formatting features of the ThaiVisa Editor don't work with IE11. Hopefully the Editor will be updated soon to fully work with IE11....I'm sure George will spare no expense to get it fixed fast (or not)...I just hope he don't use the same software vender to fix the Editor that built the Obamacare website. tongue.png

Really, some people still use internet explorer ? Where have you been since Google Chrome has been launched ? And dont talk about Firefox that was good until Chrome the fastest browser in the world exist...

PS: I am not a Google fan but we have no choice if we want the best !

Already got some feedback from the software vendor. The issues are with the editor itself being not compatible with IE11. We ask you to use an alternative browser in the meantime.

I would recommend Chrome or Firefox browsers as they are both faster and less vulnerable to various issues. Avoid IE11 for now!

That's pretty good advice regardless of any issues with TV. Having said that I downloaded and tried out IE11 last night too and quite liked the new interface. I'm a dyed in the wool Firefox fan though

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually I have IE, Chrome, and FireFox installed on the computer now. Spend the last 30 minutes adding a couple of add-ons/extensions, like a language translator, to FireFox to get it more useable. Have had Chrome on the 'puter for a long time and use it as my secondary browser. But IE has been my primary browser. I think over the coming weeks/month I will use all three browsers a lot, benchmark them, etc., to see which one I like the most. I know I like IE, I'm OK with Chrome, we'll see about FireFox.

• Like 1

That's pretty good advice regardless of any issues with TV. Having said that I downloaded and tried out IE11 last night too and quite liked the new interface. I'm a dyed in the wool Firefox fan though

Not sure what previous version of IE you had/was remembering, but when I upgraded from IE 10 Win 7 to IE11 Win7 I didn't see any change in the interface. When opening the browser for the first time after the upgrade I thought to myself did the install/upgrade really occur...but it definitely did...when checking the version I was running it was indeed IE11...plus I could tell IE11 was a little faster than IE10 (not to imply IE10 was slow because it wasn't).

Not sure what previous version of IE you had/was remembering, but when I upgraded from IE 10 Win 7 to IE11 Win7 I didn't see any change in the interface.  When opening the browser for the first time after the upgrade I thought to myself did the install/upgrade really occur...but it definitely did...when checking the version I was running it was indeed IE11...plus I could tell IE11 was a little faster than IE10 (not to imply IE10 was slow because it wasn't).    

There was an upgrade of Windows 8 (to 8.1) at the same time - maybe that's where the real difference came. Have played with it since I wrote my post and it seems an easy step to swap the interface between a mouse/touchpad environment to one more suited to touchscreen. I'd be interested to hear how you get on as a newbie to Firefox; I have used it for so long that shifting to what may in fact be a better, faster browser, seems a task!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

IE11 may look different on Win 8.1 compared to IE11 on Win 7 which I'm running....I don't know.

I been here for the last 30 minutes with IE10, Chrome, and FireFox open/running at the same time. I would do tests like seeing how many seconds it would take to fully open the same thread/page on ThaiVisa....sometimes IE wins, sometimes Chrome wins, and sometimes FireFox wins. But when I say "win" it ain't by much...like lets say it takes 3 seconds for the winner to fully open a thread/page...the 2nd and 3rd place finishers only took 4 seconds. Some of these minor page load speed differences could be being affected by my download speed "of the second", possible caching going on, who knows. And when I go open another thread I may have a new winner with the other two coming in a very close 2nd.

I may not even try any of the so called benchmarks programs on the web as many of them may be biased towards functions of a particular browser which that browser excels at but may have little to do with real world speed on your computer.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Really, some people still use internet explorer ? Where have you been since Google Chrome has been launched ? And dont talk about Firefox that was good until Chrome the fastest browser in the world exist...

Nothing wrong with the speed of Firefox.everything wrong with privacy on chrome.

Nothing wrong with the speed of Firefox.everything wrong with privacy on chrome.

Not to mention the embarrassing issue of Google Chrome not being able to render Google web fonts properly. Been the same for nearly 3 years and they can't/won't sort it out. Seriously annoying having to declare specific

-webkit-text-stroke-width: .1px;
-webkit-font-smoothing:antialiased;

functions for their own webfonts.

As a web developer can I just say "Firefox" and leave it at that?

• Like 1