Where to celebrate Loy Kratong in Hua Hin and Cha Am?

pinkpanther99

Hi there

Where do people go to celebrate Loy Kratong in either Hua Hin or Cha Am?

Previously Mrs Pink Panther and I have been up to Tha Yang (north of Cha Am) to float our Loy Kratong raft but was wondering if there is anywhere in the Cha Am or Hua Hin where people go to float their rafts and celebrate?

Thanks in advance

Edit - Loy Kratong is happening Nov 15-17 this year

Edited by pinkpanther99

Due to the recent death of Thailand,s Grand Patriarch there is an official period of mourning hence the TV channel staff wearing black daily. Initially it was stated that the Government were going to postphone Loy Kratong but it is now agreed to limit the celebration to selected venues. Consequently, for Amphoe Hua Hin, the selected venue is the reservoir at Khao Tao accessed down Soi 101 and will be over three days each evening of 15, 16 and 17 November. Kratongs, bring your own environmentally constructed types or buy them from stalls at the venue. Official dress is black or black and white as a mark of respect to the late GP although I expect that reasonably sombre dress will be acceptable.

I doubt that the usual entertainment and sale of alcholic drinks will be permitted this year but who knows, TIT,

Over 9 Loy Kratongs here we've tried everything from the beach to a fancy party at the Sofitel. The best two we've been to are in mostly Thai areas and on rivers. One was up in a small Issan town and it was really the best authentic one, but the same can be had in Pranburi on the Pranburi river. They have an authentic celebration with beauty contest, parade, kratong contest and you can launch your kratong on the river as it was meant to be done. Plenty of food and drink as well as those sky lanterns and shows with dancing and singing in the past years we've been there. I don't know if the period of mourning will affect the activities this year or not.

I enjoy celebrating Loy Kratong simply by going to Hilton beach and letting go of lanterns and then just head down somewhere close by and have a dinner and drink smile.png The Hotel dinners for Loy Kratong are priced really steep for my taste