BTS Skytrain management says station structures able to support protesters

webfact

BTS Skytrain management says station structures able to support protesters
By English News

13841492541731.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 12 - Officials of Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) asserted that its Skytrain stations are strong enough to support whatever number of protesters crowded onto its walkways, platforms and stairs.

BTS President Anat Arbhabhirama said the systems structures are strong enough to hold crowds in mass gatherings for varied activities.

He spoke following expressed concerns and warnings by architects worried by the possible effect of too many people at BTS stations.

Four at risk points on Skytrain stations, as warned by architects, are ticket offices, skywalks and walkways, staircase rails and escalators.

However, the BTS president said all four categories of the system's structures are safe.

Ticket offices were designed with the capacity like theatres to carry as many as 600 kg/sqm, while skywalks and walkways linking stations can carry 400 kg/sqm following standards set by the Bangkok Municipality. Staircase rails are sufficiently safe and escalators will be closed for service in case of a very large crowd, for they cannot support that much weight. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-12

Although, of course, no one has asked the question whether the struture insurance and evacuation plans allow for mass public protest.

When i saw the people massed on the BTS, it was a visually amazing thing, and then I thought, what a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry to be an 'elf and safety bloke, but the BTS should not be allowing this to happen.

• Like 2

I'm not in Bangkok, so maybe someone on the scene can answer - are the protestors blocking people from using the BTS? It's one thing to make their stand at the station, it's another to block traffic.

not intentionally but there were large crowds at the Silom/Asok BTS stations that I saw and it was difficult to get through them to the turnstile. It was only for about 30 minutes-hour though then it cleared up.

• Like 1

I'm not in Bangkok, so maybe someone on the scene can answer - are the protestors blocking people from using the BTS? It's one thing to make their stand at the station, it's another to block traffic.

never heard that they block BTS.

Although, of course, no one has asked the question whether the struture insurance and evacuation plans allow for mass public protest.

When i saw the people massed on the BTS, it was a visually amazing thing, and then I thought, what a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry to be an 'elf and safety bloke, but the BTS should not be allowing this to happen.

The idiot just gave permission for the fools to occupy the BTS. what are the passengers supposed to do? fly?

The idiot just gave permission for the fools to occupy the BTS. what are the passengers supposed to do? fly?

He gave permission? They have been doing it for a while anyway. The passengers unfortunately have to put up with it. Of course, no one, has thought of the possiblity that something bad could happen, and god forbid that there would be a fire or a stampede up there. I worry badly enough when there is a rush hour, let alone a packed crowd like this.

The BTS shouldn't be involving itself with a protest like this.

Sala Daeng is being affected during lunch,as office workers return after the whistling...but maybe only 10 or 15 % more than usual. City Line to BKK was a total jam early afternoon....students (with flags and placards) returning to class (or going to the pub). Much busier than usual. That was Friday...maybe it has changed

quote name="chrisbacke" post="7030156" timestamp="1384249507"]

Unfortunately, it will take a disaster to snap those responsible out of their complacency. The crowds are so vaste in numbers, it would be extremely hard to keep them out of BTS facilities with the barriers available.

The airport occupation of past comes to mind. The mob mentality knows no boundaries when it comes to safety and liability.

At certain times of the day the staircases to the platforms at some stations are blocked by guards to get rid of those already there first. At those times even protesters would find it difficult to find a spot.

Mind you, I now appreciate how sardines stuffed in a can must feel wink.png

OK, it can hold the protesters. Can it hold them and a train and all the people in the train?

More importantly, should it be allowed to hold them?

No, they should have guards at the foot of all stairs and escalators preventing anyone who wants to join or go home from a protest from using the train. And while they're at it, they can stop all fat people, poor people and anyone who looks funny as well. What a ridiculous statement. As the thread make clear, they're not protesting on the train, or platform, they're using it as a means of transport. Like it was designed for.

So silently the BTS management supports the anti-government rally.

Great showcase, and he could give an excuse to Yinluck, " I was only talking concerning the safety of our fellow countrymen"

Of course they do. They got a contract extension from the Bangkok Governor despite the crook was not allowed to sign any contracts. The game is to steal as much as possible and you best do that when your friends are in power.

So the architects are worried but the BTS president says the structure is safe whistling.gif

What am I missing? blink.png

Architects are not structural engineers. Is that what you are missing?coffee1.gif

Architects might not be structural engineers, but they are much better placed to check calculations than a BTS director who is put there by the Bangkok governor and is therefore simply another untrustworthy politician. The I told you so story will be brought in a way that not the BTS governor is to blame but the architects and engineers or the current Yingluck governor.

People can bring down structures that can easily support the weight.

Have you ever noticed the army stops marching and "break stride" to cross bridges and other structures?

The unnatural rhythm of marching can easily cause even the strongest structures to fail, if the marching frequency matches that of the structures weakness.

If the protesters all decided to jump repeatedly, or even sway in unison, those BTS structures will surely fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

At certain times of the day the staircases to the platforms at some stations are blocked by guards to get rid of those already there first. At those times even protesters would find it difficult to find a spot.

Mind you, I now appreciate how sardines stuffed in a can must feel Posted Image  

Sardines don't feel a thing, because they are all dead :P

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app