Online banking in Thailand to send funds to the UK

Any recent experiences of sending money to the UK via a Thai banks on-line banking system?

Siam Commercial will not register me for International transfers as they say they will only send to Thai national account.

Bank of Ayudhya say I must complete online but the you have to print off the International transaction and fax it to their Head Office to check, so that rather defeats the point of online banking.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Never actually done it myself but Kasikorn has it listed as an option on their online services.

You have to go in person to the bank to do a one time setup and after that you can do online transfers. I believe you have to do this every year as the only allow you to do it one year at a time.

Foreign Money Transfers reportedly blocked!!!

Don't know if it is true but I have heard that Transfers of money from overseas banks are being blocked because the Government doesn't want donations to be deposited for the BKK Protesters.

Anyone know if this is true?

Foreign Money Transfers reportedly blocked!!!

Don't know if it is true but I have heard that Transfers of money from overseas banks are being blocked because the Government doesn't want donations to be deposited for the BKK Protesters.

Anyone know if this is true?

You aren't really serious are you?

Never actually done it myself but Kasikorn has it listed as an option on their online services.

You have to go in person to the bank to do a one time setup and after that you can do online transfers. I believe you have to do this every year as the only allow you to do it one year at a time.

A few years ago had definitely go to the bank in person, and usually you needed work permit for overseas transfer from Thailand. Kasikorn has other services listed in online services also, but for example few weeks ago tried to change telephone number (there is link for that), filled forms and gave all needed info and result: sorry mister, cannot. So, go to the bank, fill form again and give copy of this and that. So much of online services, as any tidy change or action usually needs at least a couple of pages by post or fax, or visit the bank.

One of the commenters has said it already (forget SCB by the way) As with Kasikorn, Bangkok bank can do online international transfers but you need to go to Bangkok bank with your bank book to set it up. Easiest way is PayPal. I sent money yesterday using PayPal, painless and cheap too. I use PayPal in the uk but I set up an account here in Thailand at paypal.co.th Registered and verified my Bangkok Bank account. Job done. When you want to send money you reigister your bank card and send the money (the receiver needs a PayPal account but they just do the same wherever they are).

• Like 1

I am with SCB and it took me a few visits to the bank, however, it is now set up and I have transferred money to my UK account.

Once you have an on-line account, you click on transfer, then International Transfer, then registration. After doing this, you need to print the document, sign and bring it along with Passport, Passbook and Work Permit if applicable to your Branch.

This is usually approved within one week.

This Bangkok Bank webpage describes the requirements to accomplish international funds via its ibanking system may help since the rules are based on Bank of Thailand regulations which all Thai banks must follow.... expect all Thai banks have very similar rules for their ibanking.

But for an expat, it basically boils down to having a work permit and only being able to do salary repatriation. But Thai citizens are allowed more reasons to transfer funds via ibanking. But hey, remember This Is Thailand (TIT) so a person really needs to check with their bank to see what they can get away with...whoops, I mean to see what is allowed.

Thank you all for the replies. I can offer a minor update.

After the assistant manager of the Scb telling me in no uncertain terms that you cannot send oversea online, you have to complete a Swift form and bring that to the Scb.

So I emailed Scb call centre, yes you can, so I tried to complete the international register page online to print off.

To good to be true, their system will not accept the IBAN account number ( double checked and it is correct).

Got the wife to call them and low and behold the idiot at the other end said my Iban is wrong and I must contact my UK bank!

So I emailed and the reply is they will look into the matter.

I have opened another account here in Th that offers a visa/debit facility so I will look at Paypal. I think I have to link this card to Paypal.....not sure yet.

One of the commenters has said it already (forget SCB by the way) As with Kasikorn, Bangkok bank can do online international transfers but you need to go to Bangkok bank with your bank book to set it up. Easiest way is PayPal. I sent money yesterday using PayPal, painless and cheap too. I use PayPal in the uk but I set up an account here in Thailand at paypal.co.th Registered and verified my Bangkok Bank account. Job done. When you want to send money you reigister your bank card and send the money (the receiver needs a PayPal account but they just do the same wherever they are).

Hi, Paypal is not cheap when they rip you off about 5% EXTRA on the dodgy exchange rate and fee they make up.

Hi, Paypal is not cheap when they rip you off about 5% EXTRA on the dodgy exchange rate and fee they make up.

I use Paypal all the time to send money out, as well as in. It's easy and reliable and it works quickly. No need for bank or WU wire transfers which are expensive (my stateside bank is $50 per transaction). There are also alternative payment sites like Paypal which are cheaper, but Paypal has been doing it for a long time.

I use Paypal all the time to send money out, as well as in. It's easy and reliable and it works quickly. No need for bank or WU wire transfers which are expensive (my stateside bank is $50 per transaction). There are also alternative payment sites like Paypal which are cheaper, but Paypal has been doing it for a long time.

Have you been using PayPal for funds transfer to Thailand or just within the U.S.?

From looking at the PayPal USD/baht exchange rate a few minutes ago on PayPal and the Bangkok Bank TT Buying Rate used for wire transfers, the PayPal exchange rate is 30.71 and the Bangkok Bank TT Buying Rate is 31.44....this means the PayPal exchange rate is 2.3% lower. Plus there looks like there would also be a $5 flat fee for international transfer if pulling the funds from your U.S. bank account or PayPal account...a much higher fee if sourcing the funds from your credit card.

If a person uses the ACH transfer method with no Sending bank fee (very common for many U.S. banks) to his Bangkok Bank account the total fees combined with TT Buying rate would equate to approx 0.70% in cost to transfer $2000 transfer whereas the PayPal method would cost at least 2.3%. Plus the PayPal transfer method will typically take longer than an ACH transfer since the funds first have to be sourced/cleared usually from your U.S. bank before they are sent.

PayPal is probably not the fastest or cheapest method to send funds to Thailand; otherwise, most of us expats would have been using it already versus making thousands upon thousands of ThaiVisa posts over the years in trying to figure out how to get around these transfers that cost several percent or more in fees/exchange rate losses.

At some point in these PayPal transfers between country XYZ to Thailand or Thailand to country XYZ besides the flat fee which may be charged there is also going to be the currency conversion fee of X-percent...the currency conversion percentage (varies by currency pair) is where PayPal makes its profit at your expense. LInk

still cheaper than Western Union! I haven't asked my daughter jhow much she actually received, no doubt I have a shock coming then!