Is my car insurance good, even though no Thai license?

Doc50

Was down by the pool yesterday and another Farang brought up this topic.

I have compulsory insurance on my car. I do not have a Thai drivers license, or an International Dr. license.

Should I have an accident is my car insurance in force, even though I am breaking the law not having a license to drive?

I've been pulled over or stopped at road blocks before. Coppers never said get a Thai one. I show the one I have from USA. The last time I was pulled over he asked is this the real one, yes it is real one I said, then he asked where my girlfriend was today. I said she was working he said OK you are good to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Doc50

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO Insurance company will cover you for damages in the case of an accident if the driver of the vehicle is unlicensed.

I don't know about your US License, but to my knowledge you have to have an International License and they usually only last up to 3 months.

However if you are coming to Australia for a holiday you can drive or ride on your Thai License in NSW for 3 months, after that time you must apply for an Australian License.

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

Get someone to read your policy. I am 99.999999999% certain it will say you must have a valid driving licence. If it says must have a valid thai licence this is what it must be. If it says valid driving licence an International one with permit is ok if you have only been in the country for less than 6 months other wise it is invalid.

Sorry....I missed that you said compulsory.

Compulsory insurance covers medical costs only of other road users.

They will be paid whether you have a licence or not.

Other forms of insurance will be invalid.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

As has been referenced on ThaiVisa.com in many threads before, In most cases should you have an accident your compulsory insurance (3rd party?) will cover the cost of damage to another car.

However, If you have been in Thailand longer than 3 months, legally you should not be driving. An insurance company could become very difficult if they wish, although I've never heard or read of this occurring.

Pretty much the same applies to First Class insurance (full cover).

The regulation is: If you are here longer than 3 months or on anything other than a Tourist Visa, you require a Thai Drivers Licence.

They are extremely simple to get hold of, it is worth doing so to ensure you are legal and covered.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

As has been referenced on ThaiVisa.com in many threads before, In most cases should you have an accident your compulsory insurance (3rd party?) will cover the cost of damage to another car.

However, If you have been in Thailand longer than 3 months, legally you should not be driving. An insurance company could become very difficult if they wish, although I've never heard or read of this occurring.

The regulation is: If you are here longer than 3 months or on anything other than a Tourist Visa, you require a Thai Drivers Licence.

They are extremely simple to hold of, it is worth doing so.

a neighbour of ours[thai] had an accident not much damage she had full insurance but no licence,they wouldnt pay for the repair.

They are extremely simple to get hold of, it is worth doing so to ensure you are legal and covered.

Your compulsory insurance will not pay the cost of repairing the other parties car. It covers only some medical compensation.

Your compulsory insurance will not pay the cost of repairing the other parties car. It covers only some medical compensation.

Yep - good point (and my mistake) - thats the 'Por-Ror-Bor'

(or spelt slightly differently, but thats how I say it and have never seen it written).

I mistakenly assumed that the Op meant 3rd party insurance which the Por-Ror-Bor' is not.

An international drivers permit (IDP) costs GBP 5.50 from UK post offices/motoring organisations and is valid for a year. IDP supported by a current licence from country of origin is the bare minimum here; although most police & insurers don't seem to realise it.

Obtaining a Thai licence is essential for anyone that lives here.

Edited by evadgib

An international drivers permit (IDP) costs GBP 5.50 from UK post offices/motoring organisations and is valid for a year. IDP supported by a current licence from country of origin is the bare minimum here; although most police & insurers don't seem to realise it.

Obtaining a Thai licence is essential for anyone that lives here.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/primary/travel/driving+overseas/international+driving+permits

gives a lot of information about the idp.

the following is from

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

(or spelt slightly differently, but thats how I say it and have never seen it written).

I mistakenly assumed that the Op meant 3rd party insurance which the Por-Ror-Bor' is not.

por-ror-bor only cover injuries to you and the other party i think it went up to 30,000bht.each.

por-ror-bor only cover injuries to you and the other party i think it went up to 30,000bht.each.

As far as i know it is 10500 baht quickly with no fault having to be proved (mine was paid to the hospital) 100000 maximum when adjudicated by a court and there is no fault on the part of the claiming party.

Legalities aside, I would say that like most things in Thailand, where there is no consistency, it would depend entirely on the Insurance company, the policy in force, the premium, whos involved, what happened, where it happened and how much money is involved.

Take any one or any combination of those, add a little "face" and who you speak to about it, a wild guess and you may get an idea but not a definitive answer as "this is thailand",

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have replied.

Finally decided to go back to the USA after 12 years here.

Guess I should get a license for the last 6 months I'll be here.

Is it possible to get a international license using an address in USA?

Thanks

Doc50

My experience in brief:

- Have owned cars in Thailand for around 8 years now.

- Have never had a Thai DL, and never been asked for one for any reason, including following an accident.

- Have made two insurance claims on my own first class insurance, with two different companies. Both claims were paid and neither required me to have a Thai DL.

My wife called our insurance and they said they will still pay out if no license w00t.gif she called because I told her to get one and we were paying 14 grand for nothing if she dont have one, her argument was if they take the money then they have to pay out LOL she called and I was proven wrong LOL

I still made her get one whistling.gif

A year ago, I had an accident with a pick up car.

The police came and inspected my foreign driving licence and were satisfied.

Then the insurance man came and inspected my licence also got a photocopy.

I was paid in full for all damages, no questions asked or any hesitations presented.

Although the law says that after six months in Thailand you should have an international licence.

I was never asked for one for the past six years I live in Thailand.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks

Doc50

You can NOT get an IDP for Thailand in Thailand. Your IDP must accompany your national license to be valid in Thailand and the IDP can only be obtained in your origin country. The IDP is a translation of your national license, which makes no sense in Thailand because Thai is not one of the languages that is translated in the IDP.

With a Thai Drivers license you can get an IDP for other countries including the US. If you now want to be legal in Thailand you must go get a regular Thai license. It boggles my mind why so many expats are stubborn and won't get one. There are a number of advantages. Also your Thai Driver's license will be good in the US to drive and rent until you get your new state license. My Thai license is now my only license. The reason you can use a Thai driver's license in the US is because it is also in English.

Someone above said an IDP was good for 3 months. This is absolutely false. IDP's are good for one year, no more and no less, in the US at least. If you find a website touting more than 1 year it is not a true valid IDP.

My tips will get me banned from this forum again. In general there is no problem. But when you have just a minimum coverage prepare for the worst. The insurance will pay only a very small amount in medical costs, let alone when someone dies. In that case they throw you in jail first even when it is not you who is to blame. Than you work out the payment for the people and if it takes a bit too long, you have to take care of all the layers in the judicial system, from the police to the prosecutor. If you are not pissed when you are in an accident the average prison term you are looking at is between 1.5 and 2.5 years (double that but it will always be halved). again I have some tips but they always get me banned.

I don't believe this is correct. The compulsory insurance that you have to obtain prior to getting the road tax, only covers personal injury costs of anyone hurt in an accident. It does not cover the cost of any car repairs.

The rest of what you say agrees with my understanding although if you have a Singapore or Malaysian driving license, you do not need an international license or Thai license. But beware, not all BIB know this and may want 200 baht regardless. Yes, it happened to me and now I do have a Thai license.

Thanks

Doc50

You can NOT get an IDP for Thailand in Thailand. Your IDP must accompany your national license to be valid in Thailand and the IDP can only be obtained in your origin country. The IDP is a translation of your national license, which makes no sense in Thailand because Thai is not one of the languages that is translated in the IDP.

With a Thai Drivers license you can get an IDP for other countries including the US. If you now want to be legal in Thailand you must go get a regular Thai license. It boggles my mind why so many expats are stubborn and won't get one. There are a number of advantages. Also your Thai Driver's license will be good in the US to drive and rent until you get your new state license. My Thai license is now my only license. The reason you can use a Thai driver's license in the US is because it is also in English.

Someone above said an IDP was good for 3 months. This is absolutely false. IDP's are good for one year, no more and no less, in the US at least. If you find a website touting more than 1 year it is not a true valid IDP.

Actually go back and read what that poster said an IDP Can only be used in Thailand for a period of 90 days not an IDP is only valid for 3 months not the same thing yes an IDP is valid for 12 months but can only be used in Thailand for a period of 3 months

Those suggesting no problems driving without a license and getting insurance claims, you're getting away with it in spite of being illegal. I for one would rather do it properly. First it's easy, second the ID works in place of a Residence Permit at times, at hotels and on domestic flights. I can fly Chiang Rai-Bkk and leave passport behind for flight and hotel. Comes in handy when losing a passport. Also it protects your home country DL when it expires. As a Canadian, after my Cdn DL expires, if I have a Thai license, I can renew my Cdn one for up to 3 yrs after it expires.

• Like 1

I don't think it matters as long as you have a Drivers license with a country that Thailand recognizes. For instance, I rented a car from Hertz in Canada using my Thai drivers license. Had an accident and the insurance paid all. Even when I went to renew my Canadian license they would not renew it without surrendering my Thai license. They told me I could drive using my Thai license in Canada. I think they said for 90 days.

This is a no-brainer - get the Thai license and then you have nothing to worry about.

Once you have your documents in order it takes less than a hour to get the license at the transport office. Absolutely no reason not to do it.

But each person here needs to decide for themselves if it's worth the small amount of time and effort to protect yourself and have peace of mind. You will find a wide range of people on here, from the majority who think it's the Wild West and you can get away with anything, to people who try to live more reasonably. Just take note of the majority of the posts from the majority of the people on here and see if that's how you want to live your life...

I don't think it matters as long as you have a Drivers license with a country that Thailand recognizes. For instance, I rented a car from Hertz in Canada using my Thai drivers license. Had an accident and the insurance paid all. Even when I went to renew my Canadian license they would not renew it without surrendering my Thai license. They told me I could drive using my Thai license in Canada. I think they said for 90 days.

That's a bit weird. I want to go back to Canada within 3 years, replace expired BC license using Thai DL but not surrender it, as I plan on returning here. Will have to Skype The Motor Vehicle Branch on this one lol.

Why do not you take a Thai license. It is easy

Not for everybody.

For people like me with a multiple yearly O visa can not get a Thai licence.

Thai licence office requires a signature from the immigration office.

I a sort of disagree with posters saying that Thai insurance companies did pay, even not having a Thai drivers license.

Here's my experience. A guy making a red light, while speeding at six o' clock in the morning hit my Pick Up truck sideways. The impact was so strange that I had serious injuries at my spine, broken ribs and various wounds that needed stitches.

Not just the cops wanted to see my Thai drivers license, the insurance from the guy who'd caused the crash was the same company I've got. It took a long time and many visits to the cops, as they';re the ones who're trying to make a settlement, before anything goes to a court.

Then my car was completely redone twice, as the first garage didn't even check the also damaged chassis, etc...

It worked well in the end, but only with the help of a family member, who's got a big reputation. You can make your Thai drivers license, I'm pretty sure.

When I made mine in Chonburi 11 years ago, I was on a tourist visa, they'd sent me to the Immigration in Pattaya, who then issued a document with my address, which was a hotel near Naklua Rd. I didn't even realize that it wasn't really legal, to be honest.

Another incident was when an American guy drove a rental car and got hit by an older guy. When the insurance guys showed up, they wanted to see a drivers license. As the American guy didn't have one, they're asking me. So I showed them mine and all was fine.

It's pretty much the same all around the world. Would you be a allowed to drive in Europe with an ordinary driver's license from Thailand? Would any insurance company pay for any damage? I pretty much doubt it.

Once you've got your Thai drivers license, you can also apply for an International permit. Now available in all provinces.Go for the Thai license!- wai2.gif

That's a bit weird. I want to go back to Canada within 3 years, replace expired BC license using Thai DL but not surrender it, as I plan on returning here. Will have to Skype The Motor Vehicle Branch on this one lol.

I think that's only possible with an International permit from Thailand. It's all about insurance companies, always looking for a way not to pay for a damage.-wai2.gif

Why do not you take a Thai license. It is easy

Not for everybody.

For people like me with a multiple yearly O visa can not get a Thai licence.

Thai licence office requires a signature from the immigration office.

I a sort of disagree with posters saying that Thai insurance companies did pay, even not having a Thai drivers license.

-snip-

It's pretty much the same all around the world. Would you be a allowed to drive in Europe with an ordinary driver's license from Thailand? Would any insurance company pay for any damage? I pretty much doubt it.

It's certainly fine to disagree. But in my experience, over the past decade, I have owned two cars, had two damage claims on my car insurance with two different insurance companies. I have never had a Thai DL, only a valid one from my home country. In both cases, the insurance company paid without a problem.

In reading my insurance policies, the first one stated that I had to have a "valid driving licence", the second one makes no mention of a DL requirement.

Sorry, but I have difficulty understanding analogies comparing Europe to Thailand when it comes to driving, drivers, traffic law, or the police that enforce traffic law.