Is my car insurance good, even though no Thai license?

Doc50

My tips will get me banned from this forum again. In general there is no problem. But when you have just a minimum coverage prepare for the worst. The insurance will pay only a very small amount in medical costs, let alone when someone dies. In that case they throw you in jail first even when it is not you who is to blame. Than you work out the payment for the people and if it takes a bit too long, you have to take care of all the layers in the judicial system, from the police to the prosecutor. If you are not pissed when you are in an accident the average prison term you are looking at is between 1.5 and 2.5 years (double that but it will always be halved). again I have some tips but they always get me banned.

How come you're still here if you've been banned often?

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do not you take a Thai license. It is easy

Not for everybody.

For people like me with a multiple yearly O visa can not get a Thai licence.

Thai licence office requires a signature from the immigration office.

I a sort of disagree with posters saying that Thai insurance companies did pay, even not having a Thai drivers license.

-snip-

It's pretty much the same all around the world. Would you be a allowed to drive in Europe with an ordinary driver's license from Thailand? Would any insurance company pay for any damage? I pretty much doubt it.

It's certainly fine to disagree. But in my experience, over the past decade, I have owned two cars, had two damage claims on my car insurance with two different insurance companies. I have never had a Thai DL, only a valid one from my home country. In both cases, the insurance company paid without a problem.

In reading my insurance policies, the first one stated that I had to have a "valid driving licence", the second one makes no mention of a DL requirement.

Sorry, but I have difficulty understanding analogies comparing Europe to Thailand when it comes to driving, drivers, traffic law, or the police that enforce traffic law.

It’s not about “comparing” two continents. It’s all about common sense. Why wouldn’t you go by the law and have a license from that particular country you’re living in?

An ordinary driver’s license from your country of origin could cause you many problems. It seems to me that you only had good luck! I guess you didn’t have an International permit, right?

That’s why even Thailand issues an International permit for its citizens.

Both scenarios, I’d mentioned would have had a much different outcome without my Thai driver’s license. The American guy would have had serious problems as the insurance guys had told him that they won’t pay, if there’s no “valid” license.

Who’s making the decision, if a license is valid, or not?

Once you’re living here, you should have a license from this country. It’s that easy. Would I decide to live in Mongolia, I’d get my Mongolian license…..-wai2.gif

Not for everybody.

I do not understand.
The immigration office will give you a certificate without problem.

With no license your insurance will be invalid. Yesterday I renewed my five year license at the Bang Lamung Motor Vehicle Registration Office. It was chaotic. The staff were obviously under a great deal of stress due to too small an office area,an archaic system and being swamped by applicants. To get my renewed license I had an eye test for colour blindness and stigmatism? an emergency stop, sitting in a chair and pressing mock accelerator and brake pedals in a timely fashion, and then sent to a 'training' room, full mostly of farangs who could not understand what they were supposed to be learning while watching an inane TV presentation. The same one I watched five years ago! It showed a motorist being stopped by a cop but not the Bt300 being handed over. To add fuel to the fire, everything ground to a halt when the electric power failed. Easy to get a license? Just to renew mine took nearly five hours. I would suggest that the top man in the Vehicle Registration Department goes undercover and attempt to renew his license. I sympathize with the staff who have to endure these stressful working conditions every working day. Some of them looked on the verge of a breakdown. I know I was.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Not for everybody.

I do not understand.

Some will not. You can always however get one from your embassy.

So you have a Driver's License from the USA. We can only assume it is valid! But even so, if a Thai was to drive a car in the USA without the appropriate MDL, would he/she be covered in the event of an accident and if the answer is yes, then how long would this situation remain?

Why do you think it would be very different in Thailand? Ah, perhaps because Thailand is just a "third world country?" in your estimation!

With no license your insurance will be invalid. Yesterday I renewed my five year license at the Bang Lamung Motor Vehicle Registration Office. It was chaotic. The staff were obviously under a great deal of stress due to too small an office area,an archaic system and being swamped by applicants. To get my renewed license I had an eye test for colour blindness and stigmatism? an emergency stop, sitting in a chair and pressing mock accelerator and brake pedals in a timely fashion, and then sent to a 'training' room, full mostly of farangs who could not understand what they were supposed to be learning while watching an inane TV presentation. The same one I watched five years ago! It showed a motorist being stopped by a cop but not the Bt300 being handed over. To add fuel to the fire, everything ground to a halt when the electric power failed. Easy to get a license? Just to renew mine took nearly five hours. I would suggest that the top man in the Vehicle Registration Department goes undercover and attempt to renew his license. I sympathize with the staff who have to endure these stressful working conditions every working day. Some of them looked on the verge of a breakdown. I know I was.cheesy.gif

I don't think you are correct. I've had accidents and claimed insurance without showing my driver's license.

Isn't it the car that's insured, not the driver? If so, then it doesn't matter who is driving it and if they have a license or not.

If you'd make the usual "runner", and somebody else was driving, yes.

But when it comes to an accident, doesn't matter who's fault it was, then, it does matter, if the driver has a license or not.-.wai2.gif

Not for everybody.

I do not understand.

Some will not. You can always however get one from your embassy.
All that is required is proof of where you stay.

Good Morning Doc,

You have to organize immediately your international licence which is much easier as you can thing.

/Your insourance this moment is almost ZERO, you paid for nothing./

You need only: -

your passport copy (only of pages with your picture and details they don't care your visa),

-necessary your original home drive license,

-2 pictures

-and around 4-6 000 B, this depends on how long international lisence you want.

Don't have to go to Imm. Off at all.

I asked 20 yrs. long and paid around 6 000 B.

They don't keep your original lisence only copy it.

Around 10 days the procedure and this is a full legal and accepted way.

You will get a plastic card with hologram and a white small book, inside the list of contries which are accepted this lisence. Of course Thailand is in, and every EU country, and American too. The plastic card is valid with your original lisence together.

Sorry I can't give you phone number at moment, but if you can't investigate I try to find it. Let me know.

regards.

loles

ps: very important, don't buy fake international lisence at all, cause the policeman and insourance Co too will laugh a lot about you, when you try to use it. Don't belive your buddies whose say the fake international lisence is enough well, cause NOT.

Edited by Loles

Good Morning Doc,

You have to organize immediately your international licence which is much easier as you can thing.

your passport copy (only of pages with your picture and details they don't care your visa),

-2 pictures

You will get a plastic card with hologram and a white small book, inside the list of contries which are accepted this lisence. Of course Thailand is in, and every EU country, and American too. The plastic card is valid with your original lisence together.

Sorry I can't give you phone number at moment, but if you can't investigate I try to find it. Let me know.

regards.

loles

ps: very important, don't buy fake international lisence at all, cause the policeman and insourance Co too will laugh a lot about you, when you try to use it. Don't belive your buddies whose say the fake international lisence is enough well, cause NOT.

You have been conned.

• Like 2

Not for everybody.

I was given a Thai license on a tourist visa. Just needed Residency Certification (Immigration) which was done in an hour. You get one year probationary license, and after that .. a five year license. Tourist Visa was good enough for all that. You will need a guarantee person...such as the land owner where you live...to go with you to the License office. paid 300 or 400 each for a car license, and again for a motorcycle. No test. Just a cheap quick medical certificate, and a eye/color blind test. Took an hour at the Licensing Office. Glad I did it. No excuse not to. I can use both licenses for 3 months in most states of the usa.

Not for everybody.

I was given a Thai license on a tourist visa. Just needed Residency Certification (Immigration) which was done in an hour. You get one year probationary license, and after that .. a five year license. Tourist Visa was good enough for all that.  You will need a guarantee person...such as the land owner where you live...to go with you to the License office. paid 300 or 400 each for a car license, and again for a motorcycle. No test. Just a cheap quick medical certificate, and a eye/color blind test.  Took an hour at the Licensing Office. Glad I did it.   No excuse not to. I can use both licenses for 3 months in most states of the usa.

You will not get a 5 year licence on expiry of your temporary one if you are still on a tourist visa.

They will only issue another 1 year temporary one if you are still on a tourist visa.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NO Insurance company will cover you for damages in the case of an accident if the driver of the vehicle is unlicensed.

I don't know about your US License, but to my knowledge you have to have an International License and they usually only last up to 3 months.

However if you are coming to Australia for a holiday you can drive or ride on your Thai License in NSW for 3 months, after that time you must apply for an Australian License.

A proper international driving license is valid for one year in most countries except in the country that it is issued.

• Like 1

I had a small accident in Thailand with a motorcycle hitting my pick up. I was driving on a Saudi Arabian driving license. The insurance paid no problem. I have heard, but never seen it in print, you can drive on most foreign licenses for 30 days. I also rent cars in the USA on that Saudi Arabian license.

An international drivers permit (IDP) costs GBP 5.50 from UK post offices/motoring organisations and is valid for a year. IDP supported by a current licence from country of origin is the bare minimum here; although most police & insurers don't seem to realise it.

Obtaining a Thai licence is essential for anyone that lives here.

Re 'International Driver's Permit' - there's a world of difference between 'VALID' and 'LEGAL' at the time. Though it is VALID for 12 months from the date of issue, it is not LEGAL to cover driving in Thailand after 3 months continuous use within that 12 months. This is nothing to do with the fact that many Thai cops will often accept any kind of licence when doing a road-side check.

NO Insurance company will cover you for damages in the case of an accident if the driver of the vehicle is unlicensed.

I don't know about your US License, but to my knowledge you have to have an International License and they usually only last up to 3 months.

However if you are coming to Australia for a holiday you can drive or ride on your Thai License in NSW for 3 months, after that time you must apply for an Australian License.

A proper international driving license is valid for one year in most countries except in the country that it is issued.

VALID is not the same as LEGAL in one particular country at one particular time - pls see my previous post.

I have no idea about other countries, but in teh US an International DL is nothing more than a document book in green that simply translates your US State license into different languages and has you picture stapled to it. You can get them from the AAA for almost nothing. So exactly how that would be 'official' is beyond me as it is not issued by a State or Government authority or contains a stamp of same. But I hear the question... I have never had an issue here in LOS with driving on my US (CA) DL. The insurance company actually was happy that I knew how to drive properly and gave me a discount on the yearly premium. But at 56 years old... maybe that had something to do with it. All I do know is that when I was rear-ended at an intersection (waiting at a red light) my insurance company covered everything and I had no problem with the local fuzz (that finally showed up from eating their version of donuts). But I suggest that you do ask before hand when getting you insurance. This place (LOS) is funny that way; there are the way things are supposed to be done and then there is the way things actually do get done.

Good Morning Doc,

-2 pictures

regards.

loles

regards.

loles

You seem to be a very "honest" guy. Seems that all your documents aren't fake. Are you wanted by your country? Don't have to write it here, page a Mod, please.. Insane.-wai2.gif

It’s not about “comparing” two continents. It’s all about common sense. Why wouldn’t you go by the law and have a license from that particular country you’re living in?

An ordinary driver’s license from your country of origin could cause you many problems. It seems to me that you only had good luck! I guess you didn’t have an International permit, right?

That’s why even Thailand issues an International permit for its citizens.

Both scenarios, I’d mentioned would have had a much different outcome without my Thai driver’s license. The American guy would have had serious problems as the insurance guys had told him that they won’t pay, if there’s no “valid” license.

Who’s making the decision, if a license is valid, or not?

Once you’re living here, you should have a license from this country. It’s that easy. Would I decide to live in Mongolia, I’d get my Mongolian license…..-wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Well, since you asked:

As you no doubt understand, law in Thailand consists of both de jure and de facto. I am not a lawless mongrel or desperate outlaw, but I was just never bother to go obtain a Thai DL. I have lived and driven in Thailand for 15 years, and owned cars for ten of those years, and I have never once had an occasion where I needed to produce a Thai DL. But while I am not an outlaw, I am a busy procrastinator. Sort of always meant to go get one, but .....

No, I do not nor have I ever had an international licence. Only one from my home country, and it has never cause me a problem. Perhaps I have had 15 years of good luck on that one. Haven't won any lottos or lucky draws, though.

Regarding "valid licence", that is different from a requirement for a "Thai licence". My first insurance policy required a "valid licence", which was interpreted as any valid DL and that was verified by the insurance company (ANZ). That was certainly true, as I had a motorcycle hit and run with some damage for which I filed a claim with a police report. The officer recorded my foreign licence information, all was submitted to the insurance company, and it was paid.

Don't get me wrong. I know I am a bad boy for not having gotten my Thai DL. I know I am supposed to, and I am not suggesting that anyone follow my example as a person with no respect for the law of the land. Thank you for your advice on the virtues of doing the right thing. My point was only to offer my experience regarding insurance claims when one does not have a Thai DL.

Do you have to give up your home country license if using it to get a thia one? This is the case in the uk, but in Australia they let you keep it...

Unless I misunderstand you the answer is no and you are wrong. I have a UK licence and used an IDP to get my Thai licence - I still have my UK licence.

How would the UK have any idea that I had a licence from another country?

Not for everybody.

Where did you get your information from? You can get a 1 year licence and then after that 1 year apply for a 5 year licence.

The land transport requires a residency certificate which you get from immigration.

Not for everybody.

I have been on an O visa for 20 years. I have never had any problem getting a Thai driver licence

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A year ago, I had an accident with a pick up car.

The police came and inspected my foreign driving licence and were satisfied.

Then the insurance man came and inspected my licence also got a photocopy.

I was paid in full for all damages, no questions asked or any hesitations presented.

Although the law says that after six months in Thailand you should have an international licence.

I was never asked for one for the past six years I live in Thailand.

Hope this answers your question.

International lic. wouldnt do you any good, only valid for 3 months in the country. Go and come back, another 3 months, etc etc.

Not for everybody.

I was given a Thai license on a tourist visa. Just needed Residency Certification (Immigration) which was done in an hour. You get one year probationary license, and after that .. a five year license. Tourist Visa was good enough for all that. You will need a guarantee person...such as the land owner where you live...to go with you to the License office. paid 300 or 400 each for a car license, and again for a motorcycle. No test. Just a cheap quick medical certificate, and a eye/color blind test. Took an hour at the Licensing Office. Glad I did it. No excuse not to. I can use both licenses for 3 months in most states of the usa.

You will not get a 5 year licence on expiry of your temporary one if you are still on a tourist visa.

They will only issue another 1 year temporary one if you are still on a tourist visa.

You are right, after reading the PDF here....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaiconsul-uk.com%2Fdownload.aspx%3Fid%3D20130520184535&ei=MEmEUsmEAYm5iQeq94CQDA&usg=AFQjCNHz9iGLPc9MO8vBOrc4aD2DyaPUTA&bvm=bv.56343320,d.aGc

I will send a photo (with name blacked out) of my tourist visa and 5 year license.

This was done here in Udon Thani.

Not picking an argument, and not sure if they just overlooked my visa...but I copied the pages and they approved it.

Looking back a year prior, I had a property owner who "guaranteed me. Perhaps she had circumvented the system, but I personally showed up with all the other requirements.

I have a friend from South Africa, that bought a new car and has no license. He is here on a tourist visa as well. They stop him and ask for a license from Thailand...and fine him for not having one. There is a person who approached him and mentioned that for 4000 baht he would not even need to show up at the Licensing Office. I suspect this will not be a "true" license. Mine has been checked several times, and it's good.

Thanks for the info, however.

Not for everybody.

I was given a Thai license on a tourist visa. Just needed Residency Certification (Immigration) which was done in an hour. You get one year probationary license, and after that .. a five year license. Tourist Visa was good enough for all that.  You will need a guarantee person...such as the land owner where you live...to go with you to the License office. paid 300 or 400 each for a car license, and again for a motorcycle. No test. Just a cheap quick medical certificate, and a eye/color blind test.  Took an hour at the Licensing Office. Glad I did it.   No excuse not to. I can use both licenses for 3 months in most states of the usa.

You are right, after reading the PDF  here....http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaiconsul-uk.com%2Fdownload.aspx%3Fid%3D20130520184535&ei=MEmEUsmEAYm5iQeq94CQDA&usg=AFQjCNHz9iGLPc9MO8vBOrc4aD2DyaPUTA&bvm=bv.56343320,d.aGc

I will send a photo (with name blacked out) of my tourist visa and 5 year license.

This was done here in Udon Thani.

Not picking an argument, and not sure if they just overlooked my visa...but I copied the pages and they approved it.

Looking back a year prior, I had a property owner who "guaranteed me.  Perhaps she had circumvented the system, but I personally showed up with all the other requirements.

I have a friend from South Africa, that bought a new car and has no license. He is here on a tourist visa as well. They stop him and ask for a license from Thailand...and fine him for not having one. There is a person who approached him and mentioned that for 4000 baht he would not even need to show up at the Licensing Office.  I suspect this will not be a "true" license.  Mine has been checked several times, and it's good.

Thanks for the info, however.

Good on you for getting the 5 year licence on a tourist visa. As with everything there are always anomalies.

They nearly gave me a 5 year until the very last minute they noticed I was on a tourist visa.

Fingers crossed for next time I renew.

• Like 1