Can I Grow Grapes In Phitsanulok

mhortig

We live outside Phitsanulok. Has anyone had any HANDS ON experience with growing grapes in this region? I do see them in some garden shops but needless to say I'm not comfortable with what the shop keepers tell you. Can they be grown here? What variety (thai name please) is best. Given a choice I'd like a red seedless variety. Any additional hints or suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently constructing an arbor. Thanks for your ideas.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.

I live in Lopburi province and go to Mortlec in Salarburi often,the road goes over range of hills , on top is some vineyards,one makes some wine,been there some years,it is all so cool in the winter,has makes this Farang shiver ,going up there at times in the new year on a motorbike.

Cool weather I suppose ,will reduce some fungle infections,less humid.

There has been attempts to grow grapes round here, hot and humid, land all flat no hills, most last 2 year's then fold , for what reason I do not know, but on most farms did not see many grapes ,did try some once,very bitter,they where white grapes.

Yours Regs.

KS

Where exactly do you stay? I live in Phichit province, and my wife has started growing grapes, she says so far so good, if you want to PM me with your phone number, I will get my wife to speak to your wife. My wife is not confident enough to speak or understand English over the phone.

Tried it in the South,just a couple of plants in the garden.

Fungal infections got the best of them..

The only region that it might work is the drier parts of Isaan.

Grapes and rain/high humidity don't mix.

I wouldn't eat any thai grapes...Pesticide Central

Agree, Same problem here in Ubon area. I have seen several farmers attempt but all have failed.

Bugs eating the leaves seem to be the biggest problem.

Good luck with your venture.

Some very good wine is produced in the hills west of Hua Hin, beautiful grapes. But it seems to be very labour-intensive, workers all over the place tending the vines and picking off the insects.

Though workers are apparently used to pick off insects, unfortunately chemicals like Round-Up are used to keep the weed away in The Hills.

Tried it in the South,just a couple of plants in the garden.

Fungal infections got the best of them..

The only region that it might work is the drier parts of Isaan.

Grapes and rain/high humidity don't mix.

I wouldn't eat any thai grapes...Pesticide Central

Pesticide aside they grow well in the north.

I am not saying how great they are coffee1.gif

Why not grow grapes? Look at Silver Lake in Pattaya and tell me grapes do not do well in Humid climates..

I was very impressed with what they are doing there.

Best tasting grapes I have eaten in Thailand if not as good as anything I've had off a UK market stall recently.

All looked very healthy and growing very well. I believe there is a website.I grew 10+ vines in Uk about 20 years ago.If I was going to grow some in Thailand I would try and get Silver Lake to sell me some.Easy to propogate but mostly grown on north american root stocks due to blight.I would try without that complication.

I like Jaboticaba..might not keep as well..Thanks for insight..Alohz

So you are Hawaiian? Then i guess you have more knowledge about jaboticaba then me. I saw them for sale at the KAsertsart agriculture fair in BKK. They had a big tree full of flowers and small ones for sale. When i went there the next day to buy one the stand was closed, bad luck then.

I read that fruitlovers.com (Oscar) from Hawaii sells many variety's of jaboticaba. I am interested in the jaboticaba caulifloweria Hybrid X that fruits after 3 years while the other ones fruit after 8 years. If you ever have seeds of them then please let me know, we can do a seed-swap or make another deal. I collect rare fruit-tree's in Thailand.

Here is his shop: http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistforeign.html

• 2 weeks later...