Royal Barge Rehearsal

Explorer

This might be useful for those interested to see the proceedings of the celebration in June.

(Mods hope i'm not violating TV rules here, if I am please delete post. TQ)

ROYAL BARGE REHEARSAL

A tribute to His Majesty

The Navy conducts a rehearsal of the Royal Barge Procession yesterday. The actual procession will take place on June 12.

Ancient river procession will celebrate HM the King's 60-year reign in suitably regal style

A Royal Barge Procession will majestically take over the Chao Phya River on June 12 as part of the grand celebrations for King Bhumibol Adulyadej's 60th anniversary on the throne.

The glittering procession of ancient Royal Barges will proceed at brisk speed along the River of Kings, which is considered the "lifeblood" of Thailand.

In just six weeks, the ancient ceremony will be brought back to life in a display of rich Thai traditions and Old Siam's naval power.

Kings and Queens from 26 countries and dignitaries from all over the world will visit Bangkok during this period to witness and take part in the celebrations for His Majesty the King's 60-year reign.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej is the world's longest serving monarch and Thailand will be

in the world spotlight as the international media cover the event in all its glorious detail.

"The event will be the biggest Royal Barge Procession ever, with around 2,000 navy rowers paddling 52 barges including the four royal barges, Suphan-nahongse, Anantanagaraj, Anekchatbhuchongse and Narai Song Suban HM Rama IX," said the Royal Navy's commander-in-chief, Admiral Satirapan Keyanon, at a press conference yesterday.

A rehearsal was held yesterday to prepare for the big event.

"This marks the first time that we have had a rehearsal during the evening. In the past, they have only held rehearsals on land or on water without a current, without actually entering the Chao Phya River," said Deputy Minister Premier and caretaker Culture Minister Surakiart Sathirathai.

Throughout His Majesty's long reign just 14 royal barge processions have been organised. The first took place in May 1957 at the 25th Century Celebrations of the Buddhist Era and the most recent one was in October 2003 during the Apec summit. Others include the Royal Barge Procession (major) held as part of the Bangkok bicentennial celebrations in 1982, the Barge Procession (minor) to transport the Buddha Image and the Royal Barge Procession (major) for the Royal Kathin Ceremony at Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) on nine occasions.

Ancient Siam was known for its waterways, which led to Bangkok often being hailed as the "Venice of the East". The ancient Ayutthaya kings all travelled by Royal Barge on numerous occasions, including religious ceremonies. It was also the Ayutthaya kings who travelled to Saraburi on the Royal Barges to participate in the Royal Kathin Ceremony at the site of Buddha's Footprint.

The procession scheduled on June 12 would be a particularly special event - prepared and

executed in minute detail, the admiral said. The Royal Barges will travel some 42 kilometres, from Wasukri Royal Pier to the Temple of Dawn.

The procession is scheduled to leave Tha Wasugri at 7pm and arrive at the Naval Auditorium, where visiting monarchs from all over the world will wait to witness the historic event, which will be marked by a light and sound show at 8pm.

The procession is also a major tourist attraction, and a significant rise in the number of people visiting Thailand is due for the event, said Jutamas Siriwan, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). The TAT is responsible for arranging areas on the riverbank for the general public to view the rehearsals and the event itself. Tickets are available from Thaiticketmaster on (02) 262 3456 or by calling the TAT (02) 652 8315.

Evening rehearsals will be held on May 16, 23 and 30, with dress rehearsals on June 2 and 6 and a full dress rehearsal on June 9.

Subhatra Bhumiprabhas

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/03...es_30003079.php

I am flying out for a short while at 1820 on the 12th. Any idea what time the procession will take place? I would love to take my family to see it.

Any Bangkokians with a tip for me as to what hotel to stay at where we might have a nice view from a balcony? or would one be best on the river front itself?

My inlaws would be so happy if I could arrane for them to see this.

• 2 weeks later...