Patong Police chief told to clear parking spaces for tourists – or be transferred

Lite Beer

Patong Police chief told to clear parking spaces for tourists – or be transferred
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_20131113203759507_kjmfXoxsRaK

Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan remains confident the problem of tuk-tuks and taxis dominating the parking spaces along the Patong beach road will be resolved by New Year. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: The chief of police in Phuket’s premier tourism town of Patong has been ordered to clear beach road parking spaces for tourists by December 31 – or face being transferred.

The news came after a video conference between Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Arun Kaewwatee and Police Region 8 Commander Panya Mamen yesterday.

“Lt Gen Panya ordered the superintendents of the Patong and the Karon Police to get rid of mafia taxi operations in their respective precincts,” Col Arun told the Phuket Gazette.

“He also ordered that the problem of tuk-tuks parking along the Patong beach road be resolved – so that parking spaces would be available for tourists by December 31.

“If the Patong superintendent cannot make this happen, a new superintendent will be appointed to take action,” Col Arun confirmed.

The man under the gun, Patong Police Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan, remains confident that the beachfront parking problem will be resolved by New Year’s Eve.

“We have held talks with taxi operators, tuk-tuk drivers, Patong Municipality and other relevant departments. Everybody wants the road to look beautiful without parked cars causing traffic jams,” he told the Gazette.

“Patong Police are now working together with Patong Municipality to create taxi ranks, and tuk-tuk drivers have agreed to park only 10 vehicles in zones marked by white-and-yellow stripes,” Col Chiraphat said.

“Also, car rental operators have agreed not to park all of their cars along the roadside,” he added.

In case the promises by local tuk-tuk, taxi and car rental cartels are not honored, the concept of introducing parking meters was tabled.

“With parking meters, the longer they stay, the more they pay,” he said.

Patong Police will remain “flexible” in enforcing the law around Soi Bangla after 11pm, Col Chiraphat added.

“At that time of day, there are very few road users other than tourists coming out for the nightlife, and nearly all tourists take taxis to their destinations,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Patong-Police-chief-told-to-clear-parking-spaces-for-tourists-or-be-transferred-22776.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-13

• Like 1

Thought they set the end of November as the dead-line?

High season starts 1 November. That's when the tourists ramp up. And there are many more hiring cars this year because of the bad press on taxis/tuk tuks. This is all just a huge image promo, with no real action being taken.

• Like 1

It's the constant compromise that is so frustrating for everyone. They say we will clear the roads... then 3 per stand... then 10 per stand... then they can do what they like we will set up meters. I pity the fool that has to enforce the meters... or the fine would be randomly applied, advance notice of crackdowns so for a few hours the road is clear on that day and then business as usual... or something similar I suspect.

Probably get a new top cop rather than take on the establishment.

In case the promises by local tuk-tuk, taxi and car rental cartels are not honored, the concept of introducing parking meters was tabled !!!!!!

NO!!!!

Lock them up and take their vehicles......

Breaking the law .....Get it !!!!!bah.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font removed.

Patong Police will remain “flexible” in enforcing the law around Soi Bangla after 11pm, Col Chiraphat added.

Flexibility, the number one Police attribute. That's why they go to the gym so often. Come flex with me, boy...cheesy.gif

"Even if I don't, Flexibility will prevail in the Thai Police Force", Col Chiraphat ruminated reflexively

Let the army take care of the thugs.

Not a runner I suspect but the thought of a tank running down the road mangling parked motorbikes gives me a nice warm feeling inside. Expect to see the sidewalk become a designated parking area.

Imagine the number of hits that would get on youtube if filmed.

(btw, I took the liberty of correcting a typo, having a nice arm feeling inside is something completely different, editing another posters comments is against the rules, but I hope that one was Ok?)

I suggest using a 2 million volt stun gun on all the tuk tuk drivers, and taxi drivers who do not want to move. Stun them into submission! Stun first, ask questions later. Teach these guys a lesson they will never forget. Imaging them sitting around drinking beers years later. Remember when that cop stunned the crap out of you that night on beach road. Wow, the look on your face was precious. Damn that was funny!

• Like 1

Let the army take care of the thugs.

Not a runner I suspect but the thought of a tank running down the road mangling parked motorbikes gives me a nice warm feeling inside. Expect to see the sidewalk become a designated parking area.

Imagine the number of hits that would get on youtube if filmed.

The mayor of a Lithuanian town did just that. Ran over an illegally parked car in an armoured car. See...

http://swns.com/news/mayor-runs-over-illegally-parked-car-in-tank-20866/

(btw, I took the liberty of correcting a typo, having a nice arm feeling inside is something completely different, editing another posters comments is against the rules, but I hope that one was Ok?)