Anyone done a big loop from bkk-Cambodia-Laos-cm

Sydneycraig

Sounds great, you only live once, go for it.

Two bikes is a good number if you are going with strangers, more riders mean more arguments. But yes, I envy you.

Have fun and please post a report when you get back.

I wonder whether the PCX isn't the ideal bike to do this sort of thing on, it is comfortable, long wheel base, no chain and it is a Honda..Seems good to me.

Edited by AllanB

Check out a couple of other forums such as GT Rider and Rideasia net to find out the problems with bring a Thai registered bike into the neighbouring countries. It seems that it might not even be possible to bring the bike into Laos anymore unless it's part of a Laotian organised tour.

great!

i remember travelling you all over Thailand and Malaysia so there i snot reason not doing this loop.

I had friends doing it on honda waves so a pcx should be OK if no breakdown.

happy rides but do your research before doing it.

envy you man, very very busy again nowadays so can die for a long tour!

I just rode from Bangkok, entered Laos through Pakse, up through Laos to Vientiene, came back into Thailand and rode to Chiang Mai, where I am now. I'll be going back to BKK in a few days. Did it all on my 2008 Honda Click 110cc. No problems whatsoever, enjoyed it quite a bit. Be careful.

Longest day: BKK - Pakse, 850 kilometers, 14 hours of riding.

I just rode from Bangkok, entered Laos through Pakse, up through Laos to Vientiene, came back into Thailand and rode to Chiang Mai, where I am now. I'll be going back to BKK in a few days. Did it all on my 2008 Honda Click 110cc. No problems whatsoever, enjoyed it quite a bit. Be careful.

David,

When did you cross over to Laos? Were there any issues with the customs on Laos side in terms of documentation required? It seems that a lot of Thai registered bikes are being refused entry to Laos in recent weeks.

850 is a very long day!! Most I did was 400 in Malaysia when I went the wrong way !

Yeah it was damn long, lol. I left Bangkok at 1:30 AM and arrived in Pakse at 4:30 PM, so around 13-14 hours. With the exception of immigration at the border, I didn't stop at all except for gas. My back hurt the next day! I wouldn't do it often but it was a fun experiment and I wanted to see if my bike was up for it.

David , sounds like I'm following in your footsteps smile.png maby you can give me some tips wink.png

Biggest tip is: BE CAREFUL! I had several close calls with oncoming passing vehicles... they don't give you much notice, especially in Laos.

In Laos you also have to be very careful of potholes, which are more like meteorholes in some places. If I hit them, I surely would have gone over. I only did the PAKSE-VIENTIENE section of Laos, which I understand is in better conditions than most other roads in the country.

I carried an extra liter bottle of gasoline and this came in handy in places, it's good insurance. The Honda Click only got 110-130 kilometers on a tank and there are places where gas stations are spaced 50 kilometers apart.

I have a hard box for my luggage I bought but you could also use bicycle panniers or a backpack.

I also have fat tires for my Honda Click (similar to those on the Honda PCX) and new rims. I wouldn't say this is necessary but I felt safer when I hit bumps in the road and also it seems that braking distance is decreased... I do feel like I lost some gas mileage because of the tires but it is worth it to me.

I always bought Gasohol 95 gas instead of 91, appreciated the extra acceleration in passing and getting out of tough situations.

I have an iPhone I use as a GPS and I have it mounted right below the speedometer. If you are interested, I can take a photo and send it to you so you can see how I mounted it; I just bought an iPhone armband and used plastic ties and double stick tape to do it... I found this to be very helpful, having the GPS in front of me.

Edited by DavidMavec

David,

When did you cross over to Laos? Were there any issues with the customs on Laos side in terms of documentation required? It seems that a lot of Thai registered bikes are being refused entry to Laos in recent weeks.

I crossed over three weeks ago Saturday at the border near Pakse. I am the owner of the bike and brought the green registration book with me. I had no problems at all, just had to make photocopies of the green book, pay a few hundred baht, etc. They told me I had to get safety insurance in Laos but the office was closed so customs decided it was no problem and told me to drive safe, lol. I speak Thai so the communication was easier than if I didn't (there were no farangs at the border other than me).

When I crossed back into Thailand at the Friendship Bridge in Vientiene, the Thai immigration officer told me that Laos immigration was not allowing bikes in through that entrance under 250 cc... there is a list of borders you can enter on another website, send me a PM if you want me to send you the link, I think it's against the rules to post the website.

It has been a lot of fun, I recommend it! Tomorrow I head back to BKK from Chiang Mai, will probably do it in two days.

Edited by DavidMavec

^

a honda wave is up for anything in this world i think!

that is why it is the best selling motorbike in this world.

I did it on a Honda Click but I'm sure a Honda Wave would be fine... who needs a big bike anyway.

any problem did you have with the bike on the road?

^

I did it on a Honda Click but I'm sure a Honda Wave would be fine... who needs a big bike anyway.

any problem did you have with the bike on the road?

Nope, no problems at all... read my other posts in this topic, I explained everything I could think of.

thanks for the tips...

heard about the potholes! did it feel any less safe (roads/drivers/people) than Thailand ?

much to see in that laos section?

many Honda dealers in laos?

I would say Laos driving does feel a bit less safe than Thai driving in my opinion. There is a lot of dust on the road, the drivers pass on oncoming traffic without any warning and motorbikes have to move quickly to the side of the road... I came very close to getting hit by a truck once.

I should also mention that there is a lot of dust on the roads in Laos that gets in your eyes and it can be one more hazard as well as just plain annoying... if I were to do Laos again (I'm sure I will!) I will probably buy some sort of goggles that seal around the eyes so the dust cannot get in.

That being said, I really liked the section in Laos I did but everyone is different so I don't know how you will feel. The people were very welcoming, in my opinion moreso than Thai people (I speak Thai so can communicate fairly well with Laos people). There is more nature and it looks older and less developed, maybe like Thailand 50 years ago. It's a much different experience than riding in Thailand.

There are Honda dealers and the common cheap bikes we have in Thailand (e.g. Honda Click/Dream/Wave etc.) are common in Laos too so you should not have any difficulty provided you don't breakdown in the countryside, which might be a bit tough. But I would think that even if you did breakdown a truck would come along sooner or later and let you put the bike in and hitch a ride to the next town...

^

Indeed, who needs one... Some prefer not to take 14 hours to do 850 km - not a need, but a butt-saving option.

Sounds like you had a great trip - where are the pics?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• 3 months later...

Ok so this trip is back on ... And I'm behind on research !! So tips please ... Starting bkk Friday am ... Stop maby rayong (much there) not keen on visiting Pataya ! Then sihanoukville , pp , siem riep and back into thsiland .... Tips for taking my own scooter (docs needed ) best border ... Places to stop/stay ... All last minute so any tips much appreciated :)

Ok so this trip is back on ... And I'm behind on research !! So tips please ... Starting bkk Friday am ... Stop maby rayong (much there) not keen on visiting Pataya ! Then sihanoukville , pp , siem riep and back into thsiland .... Tips for taking my own scooter (docs needed ) best border ... Places to stop/stay ... All last minute so any tips much appreciated smile.png

check GT rider