Wine by the glass

thaipod

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moral of the story.

Choose a better class of restaurant.

Buy wine buy the bottle,opened at the table.

The norm.

Just out of interest,did you go to the fridge,to find out the wine had an expiry date.

As this is what is implied.

Some of us can taste a problem...................coffee1.gif

And some us know red is served at a room temperature, not from a fridge..................coffee1.gif

unless it has been in the car at 100 degrees . room temperature is denoted to mean cellar cool not hot. To serve a quality wine hot is a travesty.

Sizzler...an American restaurant chain in Thailand and you expect a good wine, which is something very European?

Sorry it is your fault.

I think 99 % of all French, Italien, Indian, etc etc restaurants with a real owner will serve you perfect wine.

Just a pointless American bashing cheap shot that doesn't come close to reflecting actual reality.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- U.S. residents now make up the largest wine market in the world, consuming 13 percent of all that's produced globally, according to an analyst who spoke Wednesday at a major wine industry gathering.

As far as the economics of wine in Thailand, you are NOT going to get an exceptional wine by the glass here for 220 baht (except if served in a MICRO serving). I can understand hoping for not stale or not rotten though.

It is not bashing.....

And I mean specially an American CHAIN. In opposition to a restaurant with a real owner.

A "Johns Wine and Steak" restaurant with an owner who loves wine will surely have perfect wine.

Just at chain restaurants from a country which doesn't value wine very much, and this chain in a different country than its origin is not expected to have the wine quality a top priority.

I am often enough America bashing...but here I didn't intend it. It is like ordering a Burger in an Italien restaurant.

• Like 1

Moral of the story.

The norm.

Just out of interest,did you go to the fridge,to find out the wine had an expiry date.

Some of us can taste a problem...................coffee1.gif

And some us know red is served at a room temperature, not from a fridge..................coffee1.gif

Actually, from my time in Italy, I learned to love chilled red, especially "spicy" reds.

Besides, "room temperature" in Thailand is about 98 degrees fahrenheit. w00t.gif

But then, after reading Charlie's recent post, don't want it to sound like I'm attacking you Trans …..

It is OK to serve a young red wine slightly chilled. With Beaujolias Nouveau, it is recommended.

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1
  • Like 2

Sizzler...an American restaurant chain in Thailand and you expect a good wine, which is something very European?

Sorry it is your fault.

I think 99 % of all French, Italien, Indian, etc etc restaurants with a real owner will serve you perfect wine.

Excellent point made about the reality of American wine drinkers.

Apparently neither of you saw "Bottle Shock."

Californian wines blew away French, using French blind tasters.

And, as for "American wine drinkers," out of 211 master sommeliers in the world, 135 are North Americans.

OK I stand corrected, in 1976 a Californian winery, did beat beat french wine producers in a blind tasting competition according to Hollywood movie.

In other hollywood movies in 1991 Californian Kevin Costner beat all other English actors to get cast as the quintessentially English character Robin Hood.

I read in an interesting article recently that a staggering 50% of all american facts and statistics are made up or manipulated to suit PR and marketing companies needs. I'll see if I can dig it out.

The Beaujolais Nouveau should be arriving at the end of this month.

I agree that a cheapy red is probably better when drunk slightly chilled. Or go the Spanish way and drink a calemucho which is cheap table wine mixed with coca cola. Can be quite refreshing and takes away the sickly sweet taste of the coke.

For starters you will never get a glass of wine that has not come out of the fridge it is just to hot left out.

The likes of sizzles will buy the cheapest wine they can get because it is sold by the glass. For your self in the hotel or some places will let you BYO, go to one of the big supermarkets they have good range, wine is pretty expensive here, I often bring a few bottles or cask with my from New Zealand.

When you buy a glass or a bottle red in a bar or restaurant ask for an ice bucket and put it in for 10 mins.

I am a red wine drinker and it pisses me of, as a tip do not buy a bottle of Thai wine it is shit believe me.

• Like 1

You will never beat a good New Zealand white Char deny or a good Red Aussie. Go to Tesco, Big C or Foodland for good choices.

Sorry it is your fault.

And, as for "American wine drinkers," out of 211 master sommeliers in the world, 135 are North Americans.

Sorry it is your fault.

OK I stand corrected, in 1976 a Californian winery, did beat beat french wine producers in a blind tasting competition according to Hollywood movie.

In other hollywood movies in 1991 Californian Kevin Costner beat all other English actors to get cast as the quintessentially English character Robin Hood.

I read in an interesting article recently that a staggering 50% of all american facts and statistics are made up or manipulated to suit PR and marketing companies needs. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Wanna give you a "like" for owning up, but paragraph two, if not three, stymies me.

Costner had better box office draw.

As for statistics:

http://www.mastersommeliers.org/pages.aspx/membership

• Like 1

Wine is invariably crap here, however much you pay. The cheapest bottles from France or "the new world" with a 400 percent mark-up, which isn't going to get any better with the farcical tax change recently. The Erawan, as someone said above, is not bad for price, and the quality is OK. Indigo restaurant on Silom has reasonably priced French wine and a decent fixed price lunchtime menu. Good food and service. The wine at the Four Seasons' Sunday brunch was not bad when I went recently, better than it used to be. I would love to hear of any more places. Tiger and whisky are fine, but a lad needs decent wine (and English beer, but that's a separate chat ...)

• Like 1

Also, reading some of the comments above: red wine in the fridge is anathema to most Frenchmen but I think even there some wine (Touraine?) is taken chilled. I've had red wine from a fridge often in French west Africa and it went down well. Improves crap wine, too, so might be something to push for here ... Anyone like Thai red, by the way? It seems to me to be getting better, from a very low base ...

Wanna give you a "like" for owning up, but paragraph two, if not three, stymies me.

Costner had better box office draw.

As for statistics:

http://www.mastersommeliers.org/pages.aspx/membership

Thanks I'll give you a like for your good use of irony, seems like you've made my point about american facts / statistics

-when you say

"Costner had a better box office draw" .... than who?

As for the statistics is that link the final proof Americans really do get satire? .by countering my criticism of American statistics often being falsified by companies serving their own purpose by passing on link to Californian based "Court of Master Sommeliers"!!! to back up your argument rolleyes.gif

Moral of the story.

The norm.

Some of us can taste a problem...................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

And some us know red is served at a room temperature, not from a fridge..................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I'd l'd like to correct you on a couple of points with out appearing to be rude.

1. Re V8's rule. In a lot of instances yes, but not all. My every day driver is a 4.0 turbo ford producing 320 Kw at the wheels so lots of V8's don't rate. No, not a mad street racer, turned 65 last month.

2. Red at room temp is the norm for northern European countries. Try enjoying a good red in northern Australia in summer at room temp. Even top shelf reds like 5 to 10 minutes in the fridge before opening in any temp over 30'. I think you'll find most wine cellars are at about 18 to 24'.... BIG difference from Aussie room temp at 38' +.

But hey, what would I know, only been enjoying slightly chilled red for about 45 years. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

Regarding red wine,

Room temperature is a temperature close to 18 degrees ideally.

So in Thailand, or other warm countries, red wine must be kept in an air conditioned room at all times..

Otherwise ....chilled, ...the served, ...while the customer waits for the temperature of the wine gets closer to and ideal temperature...

Actually it's pretty easy to get decent wine in Thailand, but I wouldn't anymore expect to get it at Sizzlers than I would expect to get a good suit at a street vendor! A decent bottle Chilean red or white can be easily found for 450 a bottle

Edited by empireboy

Wine is invariably crap here, however much you pay. The cheapest bottles from France or "the new world" with a 400 percent mark-up, which isn't going to get any better with the farcical tax change recently. The Erawan, as someone said above, is not bad for price, and the quality is OK. Indigo restaurant on Silom has reasonably priced French wine and a decent fixed price lunchtime menu. Good food and service. The wine at the Four Seasons' Sunday brunch was not bad when I went recently, better than it used to be. I would love to hear of any more places. Tiger and whisky are fine, but a lad needs decent wine (and English beer, but that's a separate chat ...)

If you buy french wine ...yes.

France forbids the addition of sulphites to french wines.

So French wines do not travel well...

If you want good french wine....go to France..

I buy wines from California, Chili, and Australia.

The boxed wines are a good deal...considering the high price of wines in Thailand.

They keep for a week.

A bottle of french...drink it in the same evening, if you have a stomach for that...

Edited by Andre0720

On the topic of good wines, I've yet to taste a French wine that matches a decent drop of Penfold's Grange.

I've no doubt they are out there, but not for the same price.

Probably because all the French Bordeaux is from American rootstocks. Happened 1875 to 1892 if memory serves me correctly.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll give you a like for your good use of irony, seems like you've made my point about american facts / statistics

-when you say

As for the statistics is that link the final proof Americans really do get satire? .by countering my criticism of American statistics often being falsified by companies serving their own purpose by passing on link to Californian based "Court of Master Sommeliers"!!! to back up your argument rolleyes.gif

Since in your past posts you, a Brit, referred to Americans as "smelly" ("Sounds like your an ugly, fat, smelly, American sex tourist... or "it" for short."), I don't expect to convince you.

But for those of you who are reasonable and interested in the truth, I think Forbes should be unbiased:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2013/06/24/worlds-toughest-test-the-master-sommelier-diploma-exam/

As for your deriding The Court of Master Sommeliers' statistics, because it is "California-based," the first Court of Master Sommeliers exam was conceived of, and given, in the 1960s.

In England.

Perhaps they moved to California, to have access to fine wine.

• Like 1

-when you say

Since in your past posts you, a Brit, referred to Americans as "smelly" ("Sounds like your an ugly, fat, smelly, American sex tourist... or "it" for short."), I don't expect to convince you.

But for those of you who are reasonable and interested in the truth, I think Forbes should be unbiased:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/2013/06/24/worlds-toughest-test-the-master-sommelier-diploma-exam/

As for your deriding The Court of Master Sommeliers' statistics, because it is "California-based," the first Court of Master Sommeliers exam was conceived of, and given, in the 1960s.

In England.

He did.................w00t.gif .

With all this quote thingy I don't know who is smelly and who is not. sad.png

-when you say

In England.

Oh I hate it when Americans do their exams in England to give them extra credibility :) ....I'm only clowning!!! The quote from a previous thread is a bit unfair as in the context of the conversation it did sound like he was an ugly, fat, american sex tourist or it for short.

• Like 2