Transfering Ownership of Bike to Me

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I just wondered if anyone could shed a little light on this situation as I am a bit confused.

I bought a scooter off of a work colleague a few months back and now I have my work permit I wanted to legally transfer all documents to me. When I bought the bike I was told the following from what I remember, although even at the time I was a little confused:

• The bike is an out of Bangkok finance repossession that my colleagues husband purchased
  • It seemed that the official owner had signed a photocopied ID of himself that passed ownership of it onto my colleagues Maid
  • The Maid provided what I thought was all the paperwork (Greenbook, Tax, signed photocopied ID or her and previous owner, transfer papers) for me to be able to transfer it along with some instructions (Photocopy my passport, work permit)
  • Bangkok plates were placed on the bike and from what I could gather registered.

Now my employer helps with admin like this so I took all the documents along with a payment of what I was originally told would cost 500 baht. However they tell me that I actually now need to pay for 3 steps. From what I can gather a guy needs to take the bike to some place Prathumtanee, Smutprakan and lastly Suk.62. I think it is to to put the ownership to the maid that it was signed over to, and then have it transferred to me. I am not sure of the third step, maybe something as the bike is from outside of Bangkok?

Anyway it now is looking like 3500 baht although this would include the time the broker uses taking to all these places. Does this kind of make sense to anyone? If so could you let me know if all is correct, as it is rather confusing. I asked but apparently I cannot just transfer the bike from the original owner to me.

Cheers

Edited by Bmouthboyo

Agree with Rob, sounds high. as I understand there is a "transfer tax" of one-half percent, .005

If you have a "Power of Attorney" form, signed by the last owner listed in the Greenbook, and copies of that persons passport or ID card, then take it to the province where you want it registered.

3,500 sounds way too high.

When i bought my bike from an other province i just had to go twice to the same land transport authority to get it done. This was a bike from the south (big bike) going to bkk and only paid 700 or so bt.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

As I said I am not entirly sure what the reasons are as the transport department at my company do not speak great English. I just know on the email it listed those places. They won't be trying to scam me as I work for a large well known company and they would be risking their jobs if they were scamming the western staff.

I must add that that charge is for a 3rd party 'broker' they called him to collect the bike, do all the business and return it to me at the end of the day. So I guess it includes a days wages.

No idea what is at those 3 places?

As I said I am not entirly sure what the reasons are as the transport department at my company do not speak great English. I just know on the email it listed those places. They won't be trying to scam me as I work for a large well known company and they would be risking their jobs if they were scamming the western staff.

I must add that that charge is for a 3rd party 'broker' they called him to collect the bike, do all the business and return it to me at the end of the day. So I guess it includes a days wages.

No idea what is at those 3 places?

That would be 300 baht.

I recently did a similar transfer. The guy I bought the bike from had never put the Green book in his name but there was a signed ID from the original owner.

No tax had been paid for the last two years and the bike needed its inspection.

When I went to get the bike from where it was parked it had a punctured tyre so I called a bike shop to send a truck to pick it up and then do all the back tax, transfer of name, compulsory insurance and inspection.

The whole process including the collection of the bike with the truck cost me just under 2500 THB (and that was seen as expensive by my Thai colleagues),

Edited by Overandout