Is tesol really a way of gaining employment in thailand ?

muffinzman

Im 45 years of age and have a thai girlfriend i visit each year for 1 month. We want to get married and me go and live there but my skills here in australia are not really relevant for thailand so i was thinking of doing a tesol course and teach english. I would like to know has anyone done this and gained employment teaching in bangkok or do you really need teaching experience ?. Im not after big dollars just a income as my partner works also.

You'll need a degree ( BA) in any field, to get you a work permit and Non-B visa. It's more about experience. A TEFL or TESOL doesn't mean much to an employer here.

Best time to look for a job is in March/April, as most primary and high schools start the new school year in middle of May. The students have a long summer break from end of March until middle of May.

Please work on your written English, as I wouldn't read your whole resume, to be honest. Just an advice, as I've received thousands of resumes before and had to decide which one I read.

Best way is to show up in person, well dressed. Please check www.ajarn.com Best of luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

You'll need a degree ( BA) in any field, to get you a work permit and Non-B visa. It's more about experience. A TEFL or TESOL doesn't mean much to an employer here.

Best time to look for a job is in March/April, as most primary and high schools start the new school year in middle of May. The students have a long summer break from end of March until middle of May.

Please work on your written English, as I wouldn't read your whole resume, to be honest. Just an advice, as I've received thousands of resumes before and had to decide which one I read.

Best way is to show up in person, well dressed. Please check www.ajarn.com Best of luck!-wai2.gif

I would add that Sept/October is the other hiring break. It may be a good idea for you to do TEFL for your own confidence, as you haven't any teaching experience. It won't gain much in terms of impressing an employer, but it might do worlds of good for you personally as here you are often expected to draw up your own lesson plans, classroom management issues, etc. Teaching here isn't easy with class sizes of 45 plus students!

• Like 1

Never taught English in Canada, am 63 have been working for 4 years teaching, you do not need a Tesol course, I don't have one, but I did go to a Thai language school for 100 hours. Phuut Phaasa Thai Dai.

You do not need a B.A. in Anything, do not be misled. You just need a positive attititude start going to schools with your resume and soon you will have work.

6 schools have asked me to work for them with out every asking for my degree....

You do not need Tesol for a Non B visa.

• Like 2

Sadly there are some really awful teachers working in private language schools even in Bangkok including the AUA but the British Council is an exception accepting only teachers with proper qualifications and usually a masters in applied linguistics or similar. I have heard many complaints from students who got stuck with useless teachers, usually older males who just want to be in Thailand, rather than those who have a vocation and talent for teaching.

You should also be aware that you will need to pass a series of sketchy tests and obtain a licence - which is only good for five years.

During the process, you will get two waivers to work. Those need to last you four years max to obtain the above. If you have a bad agent or school and leave after a few months - you are done!

Add to the insanity, tests offered only 1x a year. Few have fully passed.

Since you are not married, you will be teachong on a non b visa. The most hassle visa there is, a nightmare - You will be in a world of hurt maintaining your job and relationship.

Then thete is the work permit that is tied to the visa and the waiver.

All this for b30k a month. You will spend every baht of it on costs related to job and visa.

Bad idea

• Like 1

Never taught English in Canada, am 63 have been working for 4 years teaching, you do not need a Tesol course, I don't have one, but I did go to a Thai language school for 100 hours. Phuut Phaasa Thai Dai.

You do not need a B.A. in Anything, do not be misled. You just need a positive attititude start going to schools with your resume and soon you will have work.

6 schools have asked me to work for them with out every asking for my degree....

You do not need Tesol for a Non B visa.

Well Said i think we need attitude only as i am having a Degree in Commerce and Degree in Law and having experience taking classes for Law students may i should also give a try teaching in Thailand may be i may qualify or not is the Big question for me yes passa Thai Dai Nit Noi and passa Lao Dai Mak Mak

• Like 1

Getting a TESOL is a good idea. There are many places i would however, recommend that you look at Ajarn.com You will see that some are more sought after than others

If you are looking to do it you are best to find a course so that you can look for work i May. Right now there is not a lot out there

Most of the posts to this thread have been deleted. This is the teaching forum and your comments are expected to be on-topic. Unless someone asks a question about grammar, it is trolling to make comments about it.

Continue such comments and you will be given a formal warning.

Short term teaching stints, just come as you are.

If you are looking for a career while you live in Thailand permanently, then get a degree in a relevant subject and teaching qualification in your home country.

There are jobs for unqualified people without degrees but it is increasingly difficult and you will only move horizontally and never vertically in your career.

Anybody who tells you that "getting a teaching job here is easy" must be in Bangkok.

Much different story if you are in Koh Samui or Koh Pangang.

You must think of the demographics of where you live as well.

You can almost forget the International schools if you don't have a Masters.

Forget walking up to the public goverment schools, because they go through a 3rd party.

Deal is, you've got to find the 3rd party.

TEFL is just as good as TESOL. Don't let people fool you. TEFL is American based, that's it. If people tell you one is better over the other, that's their patriatism speaking.

Good luck, amigo!

Naive sir!

If you have a degree (even in basket-weaving), then you have a good chance with the TEFL certification. Otherwise, do not waste your effort, money or time (across the board) with Thailand.

We hope you get the reality drift here, before you become a member of the farang "Sad Song Chior".

Cheers, mate whistling.gif

Anybody who tells you that "getting a teaching job here is easy" must be in Bangkok.

Much different story if you are in Koh Samui or Koh Pangang.

You must think of the demographics of where you live as well.

You can almost forget the International schools if you don't have a Masters.

Forget walking up to the public goverment schools, because they go through a 3rd party.

Deal is, you've got to find the 3rd party.

TEFL is just as good as TESOL. Don't let people fool you. TEFL is American based, that's it. If people tell you one is better over the other, that's their patriatism speaking.

Good luck, amigo!

TEFL and TESOL are just acronyms, they are not courses as such and therefore cannot be described as good or bad.

TEFL = Teaching English as a Foreign Language

TESOL = Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

I would add that the requirements for a work permit and Non-Immigrant B visa vary with the type of school and the location. I know guys who don't have a degree but got a work permit anyway because their government school is connected.

At some schools you'll need the BA or higher, and a CELTA, TEFL or TESOL unless your degree is in education.

Of course, experience is valuable; however, I have had good luck hiring folks who had a good attitude and energy, but not a degree.

By the way, it is customary practice to include a small photo in the upper right corner of your CV/resume. Be sure you are in a shirt and tie and that it wasn't taken in a bar like some I've seen!

Good luck

Lots of negativity in this thread. Sure, there are some bad teachers here but there are a lot of good ones as well. Age has little to do with it, I've met fantastic teachers of all ages and incompetent slobs of all ages also. Are the majority of English teachers in Thailand qualified to teach in their own country? No, but the good ones work hard, do the best they can, and learn on the job. Let's face it, if we really expect every English teacher in Thailand to have a Master's degree in Education and a teaching credential from their home country there will be a massive shortage of teachers here, as very few people with those qualifications are willing to work for the offered salary.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, yes, you can easily find a job teaching here. You didn't mention whether you have a degree or not. You would still be able to find a job without one, but it may affect your salary, the quality of the position, and the ease with which you get a non B visa and work permit. Whether or not you end up enjoying the job or not is another question entirely, that really depends on the individual. A lot of the doom and gloom stuff posted above is hyperbole to be sure. Teaching is definitely not easy, though. Big class sizes, communication problems with staff and students alike, and little to no help with discipline are pretty normal. It is tiring, chaotic, and at times frustrating. It can also be very rewarding. It's definitely never boring.

Sometimes, the brutal truth is perceived as negative input.

Be that, as it may, Thailand, like the rest of Asia, is about the "smoke and mirrors". The British have been teaching English in Bangkok since 1852. One would imagine that Bangkok Thais would be on a par English speaking level with Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Hong Kong by now (especially with a compined total of nearly 50 International Schools and Universities, in the Bangkok metro region). It is not, nor will it ever be.

Considering that both (Thai Kings) Rama IV & Rama V failed (in their well-intentioned efforts) to plug the mainstream population of Thailand into the 20th. Century, should be a clue of how things really are in Thailand.

Any western educator coming to Thailand, with the expectation that they will make a "contributory" impact, toward catapulting Thailand into the 21st. Century, is delusional. If you really want to seriously impact with the students, and make a significant difference, then seek a teaching position in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma) or Vietnam. Those are places where your efforts (as a western educator) in SE Asia will be most welcomed, and most appreciated.

However, if you just want to have some "quickie" fun and make some living expense (only) money, while playing the western "School Teacher" role, then Thailand is definitely the place to be. No negativity, just the facts.

• Like 2

"Sadly there are some really awful teachers working in..."

Even more sad is there are some very good teachers here who aren't allowed to do what they know how to do, as nativeson pointed out.

My impression of the teaching here is that if you want to make money, it really isn't that bad if you find the right spot. As you head in, just 100% forget about making any meaningful impact on the kids. We are definitely in a country where thinking for yourself and challenging authority are discouraged. How far do you think you are going to get? Even a little change you may try and make, like letting the students use calculators (if you don't believe me, ask some people, I know), will be shut down despite your best efforts. We are in a place where a lack of reason and logic rules. Just go in knowing that, collect your paychecks, and you should be fine. Oddly enough that is what they want out of you, so be it. And yes op, you can get a job here. Just come, don't waste your money on any sort of cert at all.

Please be aware that there're also other ways to get you into a legal teaching position. All they need to do is to change your job title from English teacher to Teacher's assistant, or Trainer.

Then you bypass the Teacher's Council of Thailand, where you'd have to apply for a provisional TL, or a TL, if you'd have a BA in education.

I know of at least two members of this forum who'd just recently gotten their work permits and a Non-B visa. You should only go for direct employment, even if you might think an agency pays a higher salary.

They usually pay only nine to ten months and they lose their contracts with schools pretty often. Such agencies are doing business, you'd just be a number there. They tell many people it would be okay to work without a work permit. Would only be considerable for those who want to teach here for a year, or so. Still then, I'd have my doubts, as it';s easy to get into a government school.

A proper 12 months contract, with all the benefits, such as the Thai social security, where you'll have a full medical coverage and once you've decided to stop to work there, you can even continue paying in the same insurance.

Living and working here without an insurance is similar to Russian Roulette.

I'm confident that even more schools are looking for teachers now,. as the ASEAN community will start soon and Thai peoples' English performance needs to improve. The superiors at my school have just realized that Asian English teachers's English (example from the Philippines) isn't really what they want.

Mods like Scott might know more about the current situation.

Best of luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

I am about to retire in Thailand in a few months. Have a home in Khorat. I have a MFA and MBA, taught in a Jr. College after receiving my MFA and have been in Contract Administration since acquiring my MBA in 1991. Have considered teaching part-time because I don't want a full-time job and certainly don't want to go to Bangkok.

Is part-time teaching an option in Thailand? What other options might there be for someone with my background?

Thanks for any responses.

If you are retired and on a non -O visa for retirement, you are not permitted to work. Keep that in mind. If you have some other visa, you may be able to legally work.

Most regular schools do not like to have part-time employees, but a few may be willing to do so. Some language schools hire part-time teachers -- as a matter of fact, I believe most of them do.

So, if you are looking for some work to keep you occupied, it might not be legal but it is possible.

• Like 1

If you are retired and on a non -O visa for retirement, you are not permitted to work. Keep that in mind. If you have some other visa, you may be able to legally work.

Most regular schools do not like to have part-time employees, but a few may be willing to do so. Some language schools hire part-time teachers -- as a matter of fact, I believe most of them do.

So, if you are looking for some work to keep you occupied, it might not be legal but it is possible.

It's not a case of might not be legal, working on a non O visa/retirement is illegal and it clearly states work prohibited on the stamp. I seem to recall discussing illegal activities is not allowed on here, so it certainly should not be brushed aside as 'possible' If a teacher does not have a work permit, irrespective of the visa they are also working illegally.

Edited by sms747

It's not a case of might not be legal, working on a non O visa/retirement is illegal and it clearly states work prohibited on the stamp. I seem to recall discussing illegal activities is not allowed on here, so it certainly should not be brushed aside as 'possible' If a teacher does not have a work permit, irrespective of the visa they are also working illegally.

Thanks for the help with moderation, but we are not discussing illegal activity. The OP did not say he was on a retirement visa. Not all non-O visas are for retirement. It was simply a precautionary comment. The person is not asking about his visa.

• Like 1

i was in the same situation a few years back.Young Thai g/f and wanting the live full time in Thailand.

But vary little money and no degreefacepalm.gif

I am now, living my dream, here in the lovely land of smiles, working full time as a English teacher,

with a workpermit etc. Need to know the right information, please email me, I will be please to help.

Good luck!!

You do not need a B.A. in Anything, do not be misled.

Your general assumptions do not apply across all areas of Thailand...........only those areas where you presumably live.