Confusing Data packages

Digitalbanana

I just typed in *100*1*9# to get my data balance from Happy DTAC and got the absurd reply below. I cannot understand how they could make this bs any more confusing to use! DTAC response follows:

Your Happy internet 1.07B/Min on-top promotion for this usage period is valid until 00:00 on 01-Jan-37,

Your 3G Booster 1GB/150Baht on-top promotion for this usage period is valid until 00:00 on 13-Dec-13,

Your Happy internet unlimited 199B/7D on-top promotion for this usage period is valid until 00:00 on 19-Nov-13 and you have 37 remaining usage period(s),

You have used your internet (3G/EDGE) for 523.48MB from your allowance of 3G maximum speed 1.00GB.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am curious what is 37 remaining usage periods?

As this refers to a weekly plan, my best guess would be that 37 weeks remain on an initial term of 52 weeks (or one year).

When I use *101*1# or *101*1*9# I receive a single, simple, clear, easy to understand, concise short message detailing my plan, the term and usage. Any difference in our experiences may be attributable to a difference in plans?

So a weekly plan is automatically run and charged for over 52 weeks? I was expecting it to last a week only and to need to re select again if I wanted another week? I choose the 199THB 1GB 7D plan thinking after 7 days my plan would end.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So a weekly plan is automatically run and charged for over 52 weeks?

No clue. I'd contact DTAC if you are otherwise unable to review the terms and conditions of your plan.

A translation, from Thai to English, seems to indicate that this plan is "eligible" for 52 weeks, perhaps in part to protect against plan modification or price changes? Further, it seems to indicate automatic renewal, although I was under the vague impression that these plans (daily/weekly) did not automatically renew. I suspect you'd get service messages on day 5 or 6 which might indicate if renewal is automatic, or if you need to manually renew.

3.18 แพ็กเกจ Happy internet unlimited ไม่จำกัดการใช้งาน สัปดาห์ละ 199 บาท รับสิทธิ์นานต่อเนื่อง 52 สัปดาห์ หลังจากการสมัครครั้งแรก โดยมีจำนวนเงินและวันคงเหลือเพียงพอ พร้อมรับสิทธิ์ใช้งานบนเทคโนโลยี 3G ได้ที่ความเร็วสูงสุดถึง 42 Mbps หลังจากครบ 1GB จะปรับลดความเร็วไม่เกิน 384 Kbps

3.18 package Happy internet unlimited unlimited usage per week, 199 eligible for the 52 weeks after the first application. With adequate remaining amount and date. And permission for use on 3G technology at speeds up to 42 Mbps speed after 1GB will cut up to 384 Kbps.

DTAC have been responsive to me in past using that email address you reminded me of, but I'm still waiting a reply this time to this issue and another about Trinet.

In mean time I notice my account has been automatically deducted for another 1 week without my asking for it - so registering once using the *104*28*9# as listed http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/Happy-internet-package.html means one signs up to pay for a year unless you can tell them to stop or the money runs out. Obviously I am finding their web site that doesn't mention this fact too challenging for me. This will explain whist I had my phone off and not using the thing for 2 months whilst out of country, I come back and the balance was only 29THB so they couldn't deduct any more.

When I get time I will have to speak to them about the issue, if I can get passed the automated answering system!

Edited by Digitalbanana

Always a good idea to cancel data plans if you will not be needing them:

How to cancel internet package services

IVR automated service dial dialhicon.pnghicon1.pnghicon0.pnghicon0.pnghicon4.pnghicon1.pngiconcall(1).pnghicon9.png(free of charge)
dtac call center, dial 1678 press 77 (3 Baht/call, include 7% VAT )
dtac service centers and dtac centers nationwide
I deduce that that plan automatically renews, as do all Happy Unlimited Internet packages, which seemed evident from the original service reply you posted:
Your Happy internet unlimited 199B/7D on-top promotion for this usage period is valid until 00:00 on 19-Nov-13 and you have 37 remaining usage period(s),
As I said previously, the translated terms and conditions seem to clearly indicate automatic renewal:
3.18 package Happy internet unlimited unlimited usage per week, 199 eligible for the 52 weeks after the first application. With adequate remaining amount and date. And permission for use on 3G technology at speeds up to 42 Mbps speed after 1GB will cut up to 384 Kbps.
I guess you could plead that you did not understand the terms and conditions, and perhaps they will reinstate some/all of your balance?
Obviously it is incumbent on the consumer to become familiar with the terms and conditions, no matter how challenging. But I understand not everyone agrees with this concept.

Always a good idea to cancel data plans if you will not be needing them:

How to cancel internet package services

IVR automated service dial dialhicon.pnghicon1.pnghicon0.pnghicon0.pnghicon4.pnghicon1.pngiconcall(1).pnghicon9.png(free of charge)
dtac call center, dial 1678 press 77 (3 Baht/call, include 7% VAT )
dtac service centers and dtac centers nationwide
I deduce that that plan automatically renews, as do all Happy Unlimited Internet packages, which seemed evident from the original service reply you posted:
As I said previously, the translated terms and conditions seem to clearly indicate automatic renewal:
I guess you could plead that you did not understand the terms and conditions, and perhaps they will reinstate some/all of your balance?
Obviously it is incumbent on the consumer to become familiar with the terms and conditions, no matter how challenging. But I understand not everyone agrees with this concept.

I couldn't get the *10041Ph9 to work. The 1678 Ph 77 worked and I was charged for call.

We had a friendly talk, and they told me about the DTAC system and that all "Unlimited" volume based packages are recurring and the account holder is deducted the recurring fee until their money runs out. When I pointed out I didn't know this and they had sucked all my money out the account whilst I was out of country they offered their apologies but little more. Quite frankly I couldn't care about the loss, just cannot believe this is all DTAC has to offer. If the money runs out, the recurring package stops, and it won't restart (thank f!ck) if one adds more money! The only way to get a volume package to stop once you start it is to phone them up and talk to them to stop it. Personally I cannot get my head around this at all. <deleted> cannot they just offer non recurring volume based packages for occasional users?!

I asked the last question and they told me the only non recurring packages they offer are the time based ones. However I note these don't offer anything more than 384kbps download speeds. At this point I said my farewells - cannot believe I've been with them 10 years!