Off the rails in PP

jaffacakes1

Brilliant thanks.

FCC, Foriya and Martinis on the list so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I can't remember the names of these places but there is a cracking spot away from the riverfront with some cool bars and a couple of nightclubs.....memory is hazy....but I am smiling too....get the picture?

I love PP....you will have a great time....dont be going back to random stranger's houses....avoid the crap hash pizzas...drink to excess and enjoy a discreet bit of this n that.

Couple of places approaching Soi Cowboy's quieter areas.....Cambo don't do in ya face but anything goes much more than BKK.

Keep yer wits about you and have a great trip!

• Like 2

SOYRA MALL AREA close to there is where bars and night clubs (. HEARTS IS. One.bar,nightclub ) ask for that and your on the right street later aaround 1130 pm one street over there is aa bigger night club that. Gets busy after 12. X roughly marks the area post-167617-0-23163000-1384574978_thumb.

Edited by Wimbledon
  • Like 1

Sharkeys bar,

live music, great Thai/western /Mexican food, best pool tables (3) in PP on street 130

Freelancers but couples will feel welcome

Street 104 has the Pickled Parrot as well, great western food, air con 24/7 and a good 9 ball table

Riverside also has some good Clubs with many Cambodians

• Like 1

I'll just throw in the fact there are a lot of good restaurants with a wide variety of good food on St. 172 from Norodom to the riverside (St. 5, actually). You will want to check out the riverside bars and restos but I personally never go there.

Yea there are several good, cheap places to eat along there, particularly the block of St,172 between St.19 and 13 as it seems to be the new backpacker hotspot since the closure of the Lakeside backpacker area

I'll just throw in the fact there are a lot of good restaurants with a wide variety of good food on St. 172 from Norodom to the riverside (St. 5, actually). You will want to check out the riverside bars and restos but I personally never go there.

Yea there are several good, cheap places to eat along there, particularly the block of St,172 between St.19 and 13 as it seems to be the new backpacker hotspot since the closure of the Lakeside backpacker area

Thanks for this - sorry the 'closure' of Lakeside?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Boeung Kak is an area situated in Khan Daun Penh and Khan Toul Kork in the north of the capital city of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.[1] It was covered by largest urban wetland in Phnom Penh, prior to the Shukaku Inc. land project.[2] Residential areas, businesses, restaurants, hotels, embassies and other local businesses previously surrounded the area of the lake. The lake itself was 90 hectares big.[3] In 2007 the Cambodian government made an agreement with the company Shukaku Inc. stating that the government would lease the land to Shukaku Inc. for 99 years. This agreement has resulted in the filling of the lake with sand in order for the company to build condominiums and other complexes on the land. The change of the lake and the area surrounding the lake has had several social and environmental impacts. Several non-governmental organizations in Cambodia as well as international actors have spoken up about Boeung Kak Lake. In 2010, 90 percent of the lake had already been filled with sand.

Apologies for the cut and paste job, but this is a good explanation for you. There used to be a lot of cheap hostels, guest houses, bars and happy pizza places on the lake front and it was backpacker central. Unfortunately, the biggest impact of the lake closure is the forced eviction of thousands of local residents, who have been left homeless with no compensation.

Rarky is correct. It is St. 13 not 5. And yes, from 19 but I was trying to include One Star on 23, just in from Norodom.

Boeung Kak is an area situated in Khan Daun Penh and Khan Toul Kork in the north of the capital city of Cambodia, Phnom Penh.[1] It was covered by largest urban wetland in Phnom Penh, prior to the Shukaku Inc. land project.[2] Residential areas, businesses, restaurants, hotels, embassies and other local businesses previously surrounded the area of the lake. The lake itself was 90 hectares big.[3] In 2007 the Cambodian government made an agreement with the company Shukaku Inc. stating that the government would lease the land to Shukaku Inc. for 99 years. This agreement has resulted in the filling of the lake with sand in order for the company to build condominiums and other complexes on the land. The change of the lake and the area surrounding the lake has had several social and environmental impacts. Several non-governmental organizations in Cambodia as well as international actors have spoken up about Boeung Kak Lake. In 2010, 90 percent of the lake had already been filled with sand.

Apologies for the cut and paste job, but this is a good explanation for you. There used to be a lot of cheap hostels, guest houses, bars and happy pizza places on the lake front and it was backpacker central. Unfortunately, the biggest impact of the lake closure is the forced eviction of thousands of local residents, who have been left homeless with no compensation.

Yep. And they have organized, the women especially (often just referred to as "the Boeung Kak Ladies"). Several have been jailed and recognized by Amnesty int as prisoners of conscience. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/684003-yorm-bopha-to-be-freed-on-bail/

• 1 month later...

PP is a good place to visit for a few days and explore, plenty of night life as others have detailed very well.

Try the Tone sap guest house for some reasonable priced accommodation in good area.

And make sure you try the Angkor draft beer is great and very cheap.

Enjoy PP but just watch your wallet in those night clubs and keep an eye on your drinks for drink spiking and you should be fine.

http://www.tonlesapguesthouse.com/

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...