Why doesn't Thailand do something about all the dogs?

attrayant

I have a Thai dog. She is smart, loyal and has saved my family on numerous occasions from problems large and small. She has no fear of deadly snakes, scorpions, peeping toms. And for some obscure reason I have not been able to figure out, she hates hookers and Monks. She acts like she wants to kill them. So no hookers or Monks come to visit us.

I'd love to know how you (and your dog) define and identify a hooker.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Thai dog. She is smart, loyal and has saved my family on numerous occasions from problems large and small. She has no fear of deadly snakes, scorpions, peeping toms. And for some obscure reason I have not been able to figure out, she hates hookers and Monks. She acts like she wants to kill them. So no hookers or Monks come to visit us.

Do you live in Thailand? That is an odd question. Do you know the difference between a zebra and a horse? One lady rides down my street on a bicycle with a freezer chest wearing jeans and big hat and boots. Another walks down the street in a micro mini skirt loads of makeup, plunging neckline and 4 inch high heels smoking a cigarette. Which one sells ice cream?

Do you live in Thailand? That is an odd question. Do you know the difference between a zebra and a horse? One lady rides down my street on a bicycle with a freezer chest wearing jeans and big hat and boots. Another walks down the street in a micro mini skirt loads of makeup, plunging neckline and 4 inch high heels smoking a cigarette. Which one sells ice cream?

So you judge women by the way they dress? - Do you spend a lot of time looking out of your house categorising women this way? How about your dog? Do you anthropomorphise it so much you attribute it with the same sett of sartorial prejudices that you have? (sight isn't known to be a dogs primary sense)? or has it developed its own sense of morality?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

It's a lot worse in other countries. I swear parts of Mexico have more dogs than people. And they don't just sit around like thai dogs.. they chase moving cars, try to bite the wheels (stupid dogs see their reflections in them clap2.gif )

To answer the OPs question: Even the cheapest options: sterilisation or mass put-downs would cost a fortune. And it isn't addressing the causes: they are there because Bangkok streets are a mess and give stray dogs enough food to live and multiply.

Get rid of all the dogs in Bangkok, and within 5 years you'd start seeing them again. Unless much better waste disposal and street cleaning were used. And how likely is that?

Anyway if it makes you feel better: here is a video of a city with much worse dog problems biggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnXeYL493M

Edited by razorramone

It's a lot worse in other countries. I swear parts of Mexico have more dogs than people. And they don't just sit around like thai dogs.. they chase moving cars, try to bite the wheels (stupid dogs see their reflections in them clap2.gif )

To answer the OPs question: Even the cheapest options: sterilisation or mass put-downs would cost a fortune. And it isn't addressing the causes: they are there because Bangkok streets are a mess and give stray dogs enough food to live and multiply.

Get rid of all the dogs in Bangkok, and within 5 years you'd start seeing them again. Unless much better waste disposal and street cleaning were used. And how likely is that?

Anyway if it makes you feel better: here is a video of a city with much worse dog problems biggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnXeYL493M

A bit illogical, this post.

"a lot worse in Mexico" - so what?. If we compare other countries we need to see countries that HAD a dog problem and have solved it.

Secondly you kind of contradict yourself here - "the cheapest options" - sterilisation or "put-downs" are not particularly cheap but not really an option....and you seem to agree in your next sentence

"They are there because Bangkok streets are a mess and give stray dogs enough food to live and multiply." - there you have the "cheapest" solution - cut off their food supply and the population will dwindle. The ratio of food to dogs is directly proportional

​Yes - a cull will only result in new dogs rapidly moving in to take their place. (i don't know where you get the figure of 5 years from)

Will we get clean streets? I think YES - it is a public health issue and as the towns get more and more crowded, the threat of disease is ever greater and the authorities will eventually be forced to do something. Much of the rubbish you see lying around on streets is the result of dogs having ripped open bin-liners in search of food...

There also needs to be a mind shift with the general public. I strongly believe that tyne majority see the dogs as a national disgrace - unfortunately there are few members of the public who as yet understand the problem....once that occurs I think the problem will ease.

Thailand is an emerging economy with a lot of cash and an increasingly growing urbanised middle class, who quite frankly won't stand for this sort of crap for long.

PS - want to tackle the problem locally? Then get your neighbourhood organised.

Seal up rubbish bins

Stop feeding the dogs

Keep owned dogs under control - especially bitches in heat - fit collars and ID tags

Get a regular rubbish disposal service.

Do that an there is nothing left in your street for the dogs

Edited by wilcopops

So you judge women by the way they dress? - Do you spend a lot of time looking out of your house categorising women this way? How about your dog? Do you anthropomorphise it so much you attribute it with the same sett of sartorial prejudices that you have? (sight isn't known to be a dogs primary sense)? or has it developed its own sense of morality?

Hookers have a uniform just like cops and monks have a uniform. I remember telling my 13 year old daughter who was going to a dance what she could and could not wear based on the hooker uniform of the day (no you can't wear that dress it makes you look like a hooker!" Some dogs don't like cops or nurses either based on whatever it is that dogs base that conclusion on.

I used to date a dancer and she had her hooker clothes on one side of the closet and her going to see mom clothes on the other side of the closet.

I think you are trying to pick a fight over a small comment I made about my soi dog. If you want to be pedantic cool. Try with someone else. I am sick and tired of the nut cases on Thai Visa trying to start a troll fest when all someone was doing was relating an experience that is his or her reality.

Take your darn Western morals back home and leave them there. This is Thailand and I can tell the difference between nurse, schoolteacher, lady cop and hooker based on clothes. Get over it!

tlt - you didn't mention Soi dogs.

BTW -you still haven't told me how your dog knows....

"I used to date a dancer and she had her hooker clothes on one side of the closet and her going to see mom clothes on the other side of the closet. "

so did he bark at you g/f in her going to mom clothes or just her hooker clothes - how could he tell?

PS - does he bark at bigots - do they have special clothes too??

Edited by wilcopops

So the wilcopops plan (the ultimate solution) for the soi dog is starvation? first the will eat the rats and then the cats, then they will hunt the lil kids.

Nah, until the day when they and we can sterilize, vaccinate, tatoo the ear and find a caretaking in each area then we will just need to live with the situation as is. It will happen someday.... or not.

So the wilcopops plan (the ultimate solution) for the soi dog is starvation? first the will eat the rats and then the cats, then they will hunt the lil kids.

Nah, until the day when they and we can sterilize, vaccinate, tatoo the ear and find a caretaking in each area then we will just need to live with the situation as is. It will happen someday.... or not.

really know nothing about the natural history of dogs do you? Every single point you make their is implausible or incorrect in one way or another.

I think it would be a good idea to find out about the subject before posting.

BTW - what do you think happens to old dogs? - do you think they simply float happily away to doggy heaven?

Edited by wilcopops

I live in a brand new moo-baan where there were no soi dogs at the start. When we got some straying around the security had to chase them out of the park and later started catching them.

Then there was another farang (maybe he reads here as well) who started putting collars around their neck. Dogs with collar belong to somebody so they didn't chase them out/catch them.

One of the dogs with a collar is being fed by him daily, he dumps food on the streets far away from his house. That dog came to my dog every day when she was fertile (female dog) and on a morning they opened the gate together (i forgot to lock it) and then it was bingo. I found them connected to eachother, she got 8 pups from him which have new owners now.

It is not as simple as we farang think......

Point 1, that if deprived of a food source they will revert to hunting small animals? Point2 starving dog packs may attack children? point 3 sterilization and vaccination is a viable and humane way to control the problem? Sorry but I don't see how these points lead you to think I don't know the history of dogs. as to old dogs? I think they end up in the same place as old TV members.

Edited by daoyai

I live in a brand new moo-baan where there were no soi dogs at the start. When we got some straying around the security had to chase them out of the park and later started catching them.

Then there was another farang (maybe he reads here as well) who started putting collars around their neck. Dogs with collar belong to somebody so they didn't chase them out/catch them.

One of the dogs with a collar is being fed by him daily, he dumps food on the streets far away from his house. That dog came to my dog every day when she was fertile (female dog) and on a morning they opened the gate together (i forgot to lock it) and then it was bingo. I found them connected to eachother, she got 8 pups from him which have new owners now.

It is not as simple as we farang think......

I like happy endings. smile.png

Point 1, that if deprived of a food source they will revert to hunting small animals? Point2 starving dog packs may attack children? point 3 sterilization and vaccination is a viable and humane way to control the problem? Sorry but I don't see how these points lead you to think I don't know the history of dogs. as to old dogs? I think they end up in the same place as old TV members.

If you knew anything about dogs at all you'd be laughing at the "points" you make - please, why not get up to speed and learn about the behaviour of dogs before posting any more nonsense like that.

what your post is, is a classic example of the ignorance that helps perpetuate the dog problem in Thailand.

Edited by wilcopops

ok , you have twice attempted to claim I lack knowlege on the subject without attempting to refute the points. if you claim dogs don't revert to hunting you are wrong, if you claim that feral dogs will not form packs and attack humans you are wrong.... come on guy, offer more than just your ridicule if you have anything.

ok , you have twice attempted to claim I lack knowlege on the subject without attempting to refute the points. if you claim dogs don't revert to hunting you are wrong, if you claim that feral dogs will not form packs and attack humans you are wrong.... come on guy, offer more than just your ridicule if you have anything.

Sorry I'm used to talking to people who know a little about the subject - if you want a discussion come back when you know the basics

Sorry I'm used to talking to people who know a little about the subject - if you want a discussion come back when you know the basics

Ok, I accept that you have nothing.

Maybe she has a reason to be jealous at the hookers?

If that is a reference to bestiality it went right over my head. Hookers never get within 10 feet of my house. The dog starts barking and if she is asleep my wife gives them that stare.

Bestiality???

Jeez!

It was a joke about the dog get jealous because the dog gets less attention from you than the hookers do from you.

btw, you have some sort of "hooker free zone" around your house?

Edited by Travel2003

Ok, I accept that you have nothing.

QED - just about sums up your powers of reasoning.

Lack of testosterone is my assessment for why nothing gets done by those who are in positions normally suited for acting. It's almost like they are hired for the very reason of being nonresponsive followers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

tlt - you didn't mention Soi dogs.

BTW -you still haven't told me how your dog knows....

"I used to date a dancer and she had her hooker clothes on one side of the closet and her going to see mom clothes on the other side of the closet. "

so did he bark at you g/f in her going to mom clothes or just her hooker clothes - how could he tell?

PS - does he bark at bigots - do they have special clothes too??

I adopted a soi dog and had her neutered. I think that is the answer to the problem. Since she was a pup she was fed well and has grown larger than a normal soi dog. She has had all of her shots and is a very happy dog. None of the other dogs on the soi bother me at all.

BTW I asked her how she knows women are hookers and she said, "woof woof woof."

Edited by thailiketoo

Maybe she has a reason to be jealous at the hookers?

If that is a reference to bestiality it went right over my head. Hookers never get within 10 feet of my house. The dog starts barking and if she is asleep my wife gives them that stare.

Bestiality???

Jeez!

It was a joke about the dog get jealous because the dog gets less attention from you than the hookers do from you.

btw, you have some sort of "hooker free zone" around your house?

No, but they don't stop and talk to me anymore like they used to.

Thais enjoy seeing other creatures suffer. It makes them feel better about their lives, superior and gives them a laugh.

They also like to pretend that being 'kind' to animals gives them some sort of superstitious merit.

The only people in Thailand that give a ckfu about dogs are the ones that own the ridiculous yappy kind you can put in a handbag.

Fxxx dogs. Kill them all that aren't pets. If there were a bunch of nuisance chickens, gila monsters, or polar bears people would be relieved that they were taken care of. Do we really want dumb dogs to reproduce? I suggest only the breeds with high intelligence. Not many here, that I have seen.