Why doesn't Thailand do something about all the dogs?

attrayant

I never saw so many stray dogs roaming around in my life. Not in Vietnam or Cambodia (although I confined myself to the inner city in both cases, so maybe the countryside is dog-infested). I did see some in the Philippines, but nowhere near as many as I see here.

Now I'm an animal lover. It's not really the dogs I mind. It's the dozens of piles of droppings I pass by on my way to work every day. Feces strewn about the streets is a health hazard and draws flies - a well-known disease vector. Dogs carry ticks that can easily latch onto humans. Surely this has been known for a long time, ever since the acceptance of germ theory in the late 1800s.

The only thing I can think of is that somebody sees a benefit to having millions of tick-infested mangy poop machines roaming around. Why doesn't somebody do something?

• Like 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and who would pay for it?

Pay for what?

sensible dog ownership?

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

killing all the strays. by definition they dont have owners
So that is a reason enough to kill? Because no owners.

Gee, why not kill all the animals and wild life, after all according to your logic none have owners.

Now that we finished talking total and utter nonsense , back to OP.

No one does anything about dogs for the same reason why no one does anything about holes in the roads , bikes riding on footpaths , little kids riding bikes, banks not having charge backs for credit cards, major utility company's not having basic options of paying by credit card and list goes on.

Either deal with it or get over it.

Or if you feel somewhat patriotic, can spend some money on curing sick ones( sometimes it only costs 10 baht) so sickness does not spread and desex a few per week or month.

pssst! I agree with you. i was asking these guys how they would propose getting rid of the dog problem that bothers them so much.

They do call stray dogs with rat poison in some places.

It will kill the dog after 6-8 hour with internal bleeding.

Did not move to pet forum.  Posted Image 

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How do they call the dogs with rat poison ??

pssst! I agree with you. i was asking these guys how they would propose getting rid of the dog problem that bothers them so much.

My apology for misunderstanding your post :)

Those who are bothered, never do anything but complain.

There are a few members here who do , do something.

As Friedman said in one of the movies " can change the world one step at a time" :)

Edited by lemoncake

I think they can start collecting the dogs feces for fertilizer, lol. In my village, we use the manure from cows, pigs, and chickens to fertilize garden or farm. I heard in the city they use human feces to fertilize the vegetables you purchase on the market but I cannot confirm it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They do call stray dogs with rat poison in some places.

It will kill the dog after 6-8 hour with internal bleeding.

Did not move to pet forum. thumbsup.gif

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How do they call the dogs with rat poison ??

"cull"

• Like 1

To me, this is not a humorous topic in the least. I do care very much about keeping the suffering of these dogs to the minimum possible.

This problem may also have a connection to the various cultural differences in the way people see dogs fitting in to the social order.

I do not think there is a very easy solution.

Of course, anyone who reads the newspapers can see how a place such as China, ShangHai handles this problem.

Their treatment, the government treatment, is extremely harsh and uncaring.

I could never treat a dog the way they are routinely treated in many places around the world.

I think the best solution is to neuter as many as possible, and keep doing it until there is no more strays

This is the only way to reduce suffering.

As a side benefit, then you can get rid of your poop problem simultaneously.

I don't think dog poop is good, even as fertilizer for flowers.

• Like 2

Of course can t say about City life, but out in the countryside a Government truck come around has 3 vets in a clinic in the back, parks at end of my Village and you can take your dogs and or any dogs to the truck, all injections, worm tables are given free, and if you have the dogs Passport is filled in and stamped. go to a Vet and the charge is 450 baht per dog..

This is Not new, as 1st got asked if I wanted all the yearly injections done about 6 years ago

From what I understand a stray or unwanted dog can be taken to a Temple

Of course can t say about City life, but out in the countryside a Government truck come around has 3 vets in a clinic in the back, parks at end of my Village and you can take your dogs and or any dogs to the truck, all injections, worm tables are given free, and if you have the dogs Passport is filled in and stamped. go to a Vet and the charge is 450 baht per dog..

This is Not new, as 1st got asked if I wanted all the yearly injections done about 6 years ago

From what I understand a stray or unwanted dog can be taken to a Temple

I don't think the strays around me would comply.

• Like 1

One has to be compassionate to the stray dogs as its not their fault a lot of the time.

An example is.... last yr I frequented a beach umbrella business everyday because they had a nice puppy - which they did not actually treat very well but thats another story. 8 months later I return to the same beach umbrella business and ask where the dog is. They told me its now being taken care of at a bar. I went to visit it and its on a chain attached to the pool table with no food or water. The previous owners did not want it anymore. It will probably happen again if the bar owners change hands and the dog may become a soi / beach dog.

The thai's and their complacent attitude are a lot to blame for these problems.

My apology for misunderstanding your post smile.png

Those who are bothered, never do anything but complain.

There are a few members here who do , do something.

As Friedman said in one of the movies " can change the world one step at a time" smile.png

I don't like them

I don't complain about them

I am not bothered by them

I therefore do not carry pepper spray with me,

I just walk along and if they are dumb enough to make a rush at me I just stare at them.

I am not dumb enough to pretend that they won't try to sneak up on me. they did that to my son. Fortunately for him the dog was not rabid.

That kill all wild animals comment was ill thought out. He would change his mind mighty fast if it was wild tigers roaming in packs. Here to the best of my knowledge it is only wild dogs that roam around the streets. Also snakes have invaded the area.

Back where I come from Racoons are now showing up in cities and caioties (sorry about the spelling) are starting to be seen in the out lying areas.

• Like 1

How about local Farangs and business's in the neighborhoods, putting together donation drives, to pay to spay and neuter the neighborhood soi dogs. I know I would donate. Must have 10 new pups being born on this soi every few months.

• Like 1