Why doesn't Thailand do something about all the dogs?

attrayant

We had a soi dog whom I named Dave. Dave was awesome. He always greeted us when we came home. Gave us a look of thanks as we slipped him a titbit here or there. Did a great job of keeping the cats away. Bless old Dave. He was as manky as hell and I swear whatever was living on his back had formed a democratic government with veto powers in the UN.

But he taught me a few things. Why do your daily walk with a stick when you can walk with a bag of treats. You get greeted, not shunned. You get welcomed, not threatened. Life may be utter hell, but maybe there is someone who will send a lifeline......maybe.

Dave was hit and killed by a pickup late one night. The only time I touched him was to dispose of his body.

It depends on you how you tolerate and treat others who share your general area. I tend to toss them a doggie choc or two......

• Like 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a soi dog whom I named Dave. Dave was awesome. He always greeted us when we came home. Gave us a look of thanks as we slipped him a titbit here or there. Did a great job of keeping the cats away. Bless old Dave. He was as manky as hell and I swear whatever was living on his back had formed a democratic government with veto powers in the UN.

But he taught me a few things. Why do your daily walk with a stick when you can walk with a bag of treats. You get greeted, not shunned. You get welcomed, not threatened. Life may be utter hell, but maybe there is someone who will send a lifeline......maybe.

Dave was hit and killed by a pickup late one night. The only time I touched him was to dispose of his body.

It depends on you how you tolerate and treat others who share your general area. I tend to toss them a doggie choc or two......

I prefer to throw ham at the dogs.

I am not concerned for my own safety when considering some CMU Canines.

I am concerned mainly for one of those tiny CMU Co-eds.

And I do know that many are justifiably fearful while walking some places on campus. One place which comes to mind is the back gate, LangMo, just between the athletic field and the Faculty of something (I do not recall, but something like design or building.)

I am not sure what the best solution might be.

I like the dogs, and like having most around,

But they all need rabies vacinating, and this should be done.

We can spray the dogs who get vaccinated with bright purple dye.

• Like 1

So just perpetuating the problem then?

And I do know that many are justifiably fearful while walking some places on campus. One place which comes to mind is the back gate, LangMo, just between the athletic field and the Faculty of something (I do not recall, but something like design or building.)

Dogs at Unis are a pain - there is always the odd one that takes a nip at someone. I know several (Thai) members of staff at my local Uni who won't use the lift to the ground floor in one building because of one nasty little bitch that has growled at or bitten several people. The Uni admin so far haven't lifted a finger.

Dogs at Unis are a pain - there is always the odd one that takes a nip at someone. I know several (Thai) members of staff at my local Uni who won't use the lift to the ground floor in one building because of one nasty little bitch that has growled at or bitten several people. The Uni admin so far haven't lifted a finger.

Have you tried feeding her?

Have you tried feeding her?

There are of course people who think it's a good idea to feed the dogs. the result is that the dogs follow people around expecting to get food off them. When they don't they become aggressive. People carrying their takeaway lunch are particularly a target.

The uni is their place of work, people do not come to work carrying titbits for dogs. they expect to be able to access their building do their job and go home without being hassled by oaks of begging dogs.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

There are of course people who think it's a good idea to feed the dogs. the result is that the dogs follow people around expecting to get food off them. When they don't they become aggressive. People carrying their takeaway lunch are particularly a target.

The uni is their place of work, people do not come to work carrying titbits for dogs. they expect to be able to access their building do their job and go home without being hassled by oaks of begging dogs.

Sorry, but what you say is just not true, and you are anthropomorphizing the dogs and their behavior.

The dumb dogs do not think to themselves: These particular humans refused to give me food, they are witholding food which should rightfully be given to us canines, so we are justifiably angry and we will bite some humans. NO WAY.

The truth of the matter is that some dogs, especially when in groups, exhibit territorial pack behavior, when humans intrude on the dogs' space. Then they react to threaten and attack in some cases.

If people feed the dogs, then the dogs will stay where they are fed. But they won't bite anyone as a direct result of people not feeding them. Only people do such things.

Dogs are not human, thank god.

Let us all read more, and watch less TV, so we know and can explain our world around us.

Jeeze!

Sorry, but what you say is just not true, and you are anthropomorphizing the dogs and their behavior.

The dumb dogs do not think to themselves: These particular humans refused to give me food, they are witholding food which should rightfully be given to us canines, so we are justifiably angry and we will bite some humans. NO WAY.

The truth of the matter is that some dogs, especially when in groups, exhibit territorial pack behavior, when humans intrude on the dogs' space. Then they react to threaten and attack in some cases.

If people feed the dogs, then the dogs will stay where they are fed. But they won't bite anyone as a direct result of people not feeding them. Only people do such things.

Dogs are not human, thank god.

Let us all read more, and watch less TV, so we know and can explain our world around us.

Jeeze!

You clearly didn't read my post - I did not make myself clear - say that not feeding them made them aggressive, when they aren't fed the dogs follow the people and become aggressive when they are shooed away. They now EXPECT food from passers by

You are of course being very short-sighted about the dog problem and in no way do I EVER anthropomorphise dogs behaviour.

Yes dogs behave in packs when above vey small numbers and this is ANTI_SOCIAL. on the Uni campuses they go through rubbish and spread it about, it is then spread further by wind etc - this is ANTI_SOCIAL. Dogs are a huge problem in Thailand and feeding them undoubtedly exacerbates the problem.

I have grown up with dogs from birth and have a very good knowledge of canine behaviour - and what it doesn't need is misguided gullible people like you feeding them.....that if anything is an anthropomorphic approach to handling dogs.

I notice too that rather than dispute the main part of my argument you have decided to pick at an inaccurate side issue. If you really had any argument worth making you'd address the main pints of my post rather than shifting the goal posts

Edited by wilcopops

It always amuses me that animal lovers seem to always want stray dogs gathered up and killed. If you want them dead, grow a pair and kill them yourself.

..and this is my nomination for the most facile post on the thread award.

Well I’m sorry, but I don’t see what he problem is with the dogs. I’ve been here 14 years and have never been bitten, have never seen anyone bitten, nor do I personally know anyone that has been bitten. Do I believe there are people that get bit? Certainly. Do I think it is a big problem? I do not. Is Rabies a problem in Thailand? I don’t think so, but I have no facts one way or the other.

If unprovoked dogs are biting people, the dog should be killed. If a neighborhood dog bit a member of my family, I would kill it.

The idea that the animal is suffering and should be put down is ridiculous. They could end it all any time they please just by running in front of a bus or wandering into a Korean restaurant.

It always amuses me that animal lovers seem to always want stray dogs gathered up and killed. If you want them dead, grow a pair and kill them yourself.

Well I’m sorry, but I don’t see what he problem is with the dogs. I’ve been here 14 years and have never been bitten, have never seen anyone bitten, nor do I personally know anyone that has been bitten. Do I believe there are people that get bit? Certainly. Do I think it is a big problem? I do not. Is Rabies a problem in Thailand? I don’t think so, but I have no facts one way or the other.

If unprovoked dogs are biting people, the dog should be killed. If a neighborhood dog bit a member of my family, I would kill it.

The idea that the animal is suffering and should be put down is ridiculous. They could end it all any time they please just by running in front of a bus or wandering into a Korean restaurant.

I think it's fair to conclude from your posts that your view on this subject is at best partial.
Edited by wilcopops

Pardon me, but I think this is just more of this anthropomorphizing of dogs' behavior, suggesting that dogs might throw themselves under a bus of their own volition in response to life's frustrations.

It is funny, yes.

Accurate, no.

And also, wilcopops, despite his/her protestations, has also exhibited a flare for anthropomorphizing of dog behavior, which is also fun but not accurate.

Sorry if you do not agree with my assessment of your post, but hope you will not be offended if I speak what I feel to be true.

We do agree that the University should take action which is long overdue,

And I do agree that I have never seen anyone bitten.

Normally a dog will only threaten unless you lung forward and try to touch said dog.

It is very annoying though, because the Co-eds don't like it,

And I suspect that if there were any helpless looking students, this might incite the dogs to attack,

Such if a Co-ed were to fall down in the midst of a pack of barking dogs.

Pls do get all hyped up if I express a different view than yours, though.

Since people go the temples with the cat and dog litters, what do they do with them there (in the temples)?

Surely there are only that many one can care for.

Will follow up with a question, since there are quite a few knowledgeable people here (not sarcastic).

What will happen to the 100s or maybe 1000s of dogs and cats delivered to the temples for refuge?

Since people go the temples with the cat and dog litters, what do they do with them there (in the temples)?

Will follow up with a question, since there are quite a few knowledgeable people here (not sarcastic).

What will happen to the 100s or maybe 1000s of dogs and cats delivered to the temples for refuge?

Some people rescue them. I'm sure you can figure it out.

In contrary to some, I would not ask the question if I knew the answer.

Obviously you just in the dark, and go for the safe one.

In contrary to some, I would not ask the question if I knew the answer. Obviously you just in the dark, and go for the safe one.

It has been reported that up to 70% die from lack of resources/medical care etc

In contrary to some, I would not ask the question if I knew the answer. Obviously you just in the dark, and go for the safe one.

It has been reported that up to 70% die from lack of resources/medical care etc

That is terrible.

I am not a "dog lover" to use that ridicules term, but animals in general have the same right to exist as us humans, and to be threated nice.

After almost 14 years here, I honestly have not met anyone yet who actually adopted (or rescued as some like to say) a dog or cat from the Wats.

Of course I am sure it happens.

Bit I cant help feeling there is some kind of dark public secret somewhere?

I might be wrong here of course.

The last reply about the 70% tells a lot.

In contrary to some, I would not ask the question if I knew the answer.

Obviously you just in the dark, and go for the safe one.

PM me if you want to know. Not one of those things I feel comfortable posting.

I think it's fair to conclude from your posts that your view on this subject is at best partial.

Meaning incomplete or opinionated?

I don't want to take part in the particular discussion above, but I have actually never been bitten by a dog in my 13-14 years here.

Neither have I seen anyone been bitten.

However, I feel it is just a matter of time before I will get bit, which is why I am interested in this thread.

This might be a stupid one, but a dog whistle, is the tone uncomfortable or just neutral for the dogs?

I don't want to take part in the particular discussion above, but I have actually never been bitten by a dog in my 13-14 years here.

However, I feel it is just a matter of time before I will get bit, which is why I am interested in this thread.

This might be a stupid one, but a dog whistle, is the tone uncomfortable or just neutral for the dogs?

Forget the whistle.

Dogs HATE firecrackers with a passion, and will run like mad dogs when they hear them.

I think you would do well with a starter pistol, or a cap gun,

The kind with no barrel, of course.

Just a small charge of black powder to make a BIG BANG,

Like what kids like.

If you don't believe me,

Try one on the next dog you see.

Most dogs are gun shy, unless they are bred and trained to be otherwise.

And, you probably will need to watch for people biters, as well.

I wonder if the number of people bitten by people is greater than the number of people bitten by dogs,?

Or is that a stupid question, like yours?

I think they are both good valid logical questions.

Edited by PoetDrunkInTheBoat

Forget the whistle.

Dogs HATE firecrackers with a passion, and will run like mad dogs when they hear them.

Like what kids like.

If you don't believe me,

I wonder if the number of people bitten by people is greater than the number of people bitten by dogs,?

I see your point, and yes I know dogs hate loud sounds as the fire crackers.

Most dogs go crazy during new years eve.

Anyhow, I feel it would be a bit impractical for me walking around with firecrackers (and a lighter), or a gun, in my pocket.

Maybe a small pepper spray? I dont know where to buy, or how small they are.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Forget the whistle.

Like what kids like.

If you don't believe me,

I see your point, and yes I know dogs hate loud sounds as the fire crackers.

Most dogs go crazy during new years eve.

Anyhow, I feel it would be a bit impractical for me walking around with firecrackers (and a lighter), or a gun, in my pocket.

Maybe a small pepper spray? I dont know where to buy, or how small they are.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Don't show fear. First stomp your foot at them, they will generally run away. If they try to bite you, kick or punch them as hard as you can. They will run away.

While they are pretty fast, they are stupid, most are pretty weak, and generally cow easily.

See the parallel HOt topic..there's a way.

Yes I see and participate in it as well.

hookers, scam, police, and dogs are the hottest topics.

wink.png

Anyhow,

One thing I can not see anyone have mentioned yet, is actually how the locals threat the dogs.

I have seen a lot of hitting and kicking of dogs here.

Not saying it is the norm, but I see it quite a few places.

If this happened back home, someone would report it.

wink.png

Anyhow,

One thing I can not see anyone have mentioned yet, is actually how the locals threat the dogs.

I posted the words below a day ago. Since it wasn't Thai negative it took about ten minutes for the TV people to call me a liar.

Two days ago. Four Thai office girls (small salary hard work) each paid 1000 baht for an operation on a really ugly looking 5 year old Soi dog who lived by the office. The security guard drove the dog an hour to the vet and the Thai manager hearing of the event gave the office ladies back their 4000 baht and paid it himself. Vet did the operation before getting paid.

Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_Daeng.

wink.png

Anyhow,

I posted the words below a day ago. Since it wasn't Thai negative it took about ten minutes for the TV people to call me a liar.

Two days ago. Four Thai office girls (small salary hard work) each paid 1000 baht for an operation on a really ugly looking 5 year old Soi dog who lived by the office. The security guard drove the dog an hour to the vet and the Thai manager hearing of the event gave the office ladies back their 4000 baht and paid it himself. Vet did the operation before getting paid.

Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_Daeng.

That is a sunshine story which we all need to read once in a while in the midst of all the other stuff.

smile.png

On the subject of Soi Dogs. Perhaps I am luckier than OP because there are only about 6 strays in my soi which is about 300 metres in length. However, the front of my house has recently become the local poop depository. I clear it away after it has dried, but with recent rains it's a messy, smelly chore, and the odour lingers on for several days. I don't wish these dogs any harm since they are here as a result of a former owners' neglect . What I want is the brand name of a chemical or natural 'recipe' that can be applied/sprayed onto the cement frontage to my house to prevent these strays returning so often. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Buy kilos of the hottest pepper you can find, crush and sprinkle the area. Maybe adding vinegar to the mix should dispel them. Let me know how it goes.