New Zealander killed in Samui car crash

webfact

New Zealander Killed In Samui Car Crash
By Khosod Online

nz.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- A tourist from New Zealand died in a road accident after he crashed his car into a garbage truck on the island of Koh Samui, Surat Thani province.

The tourist, Brown Frank, 65, was found dead on the driver seat in a car.

Mr. Aphirak Duangmala, 33, the driver of the garbage collector truck, reportedly told the police and that he had parked his vehicle on the side of the street. While his team is collecting garbage, Mr. Frank’s car, which was driven in a fast speed, slammed hard into the back of the truck, according to Mr. Aphirak.

Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person.

Mr. Frank’s body is appointed for autopsy at Koh Samui Hospital to find any presence of alcohol in his blood.

The Embassy of New Zealand in Bangkok has been informed about the incident in order to contact Mr. Frank’s relatives to retrieve Mr. Frank′s body, police said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5EWXdPVGsxT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-18

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in defense of Mr. Aphrirak and not knowing any further facts regarding the accident, but why would Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person? His job is driving the truck to collect trash and they always park on the side of the road to do it in every country of the world. Isn't it the responsibility of the driver behind to recognize this and avoid an accident. Driving at a high rate of speed behind any garbage truck is just looking for a crash, especially of the roads in Samui!

Maybe he didn't see him??

The garbage truck driver charged?? I can only guess his truck is like the one that collects our rubbish during the night no warning lights, in fact no lights at all.

In cases of accidents like this one,

Drafting a charge against the surviving vehicle driver is the way such accidents are handled here...

This charge will be later dropped after all facts are considered by relevant authorities....

But how in the world can anyone drive fast enough on Samui to kill himself? A death wish would give the same outcome......

It's possible that the name of the unfortunate deceased is actually Brown Frank, though it is far more likely that, as is common in this country, the Thai reporter has transposed the given and family names. A simple understanding of foreign names, both farang and others, and a rigorous check, would go some way in adding to the accuracy and integrity of such reportage.

It's possible that the name of the unfortunate deceased is actually Brown Frank, though it is far more likely that, as is common in this country, the Thai reporter has transposed the given and family names. A simple understanding of foreign names, both farang and others, and a rigorous check, would go some way in adding to the accuracy and integrity of such reportage.

I really enjoying reading posts about bad punctuation, mis-spelling or (in this case) possible transposed names. Shame the posters haven't got more important things to do in their lives. Hopefully my spelling and grammar is OK

• Like 1

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

Yes standard practice, and when you are a spoilt XXXXXXX your court case gets postponed for years and you hop to another paradise Singapore to spent some quality time with Papa's Cavallino Motors money.

Edited by Rooo
language

To create damage like that would probably take about 80ks or 50 mph

It doesn't take that much speed to kill and that sort of speed can be reached fairly quickly

My car does that in a few seconds . .

accidents happen

a moment's anger, or inattention and bingo

its all over

A good friend of mine died this way recently

BADLY LIT vehicles in LOS are a real HAZARD everywhere

???

The garbage collector car's driver wasn't do anything bad. He did his work as every day. If you see the garbage car collects litter probably you have to know this stands or goes very small speed.

So I don't understand at all this "reckless driving".

Rest in Peace NZ old buddy. wai.gif

It is standard practise to charge the surviving driver. Then an investigation takes place to decide whether to proceed with or drop the charges.

Hi Edwin, I htink you might want to re-read the article. It didn

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

• Like 1

Not in defense of Mr. Aphrirak and not knowing any further facts regarding the accident, but why would Mr. Aphirak was charged with committing reckless act leading to death of other person? His job is driving the truck to collect trash and they always park on the side of the road to do it in every country of the world. Isn't it the responsibility of the driver behind to recognize this and avoid an accident. Driving at a high rate of speed behind any garbage truck is just looking for a crash, especially of the roads in Samui!

" not knowing any further facts regarding the accident" then you go on to tell us the cause of the accident. Get real.

Vehicles today are made to crumple and there doesn't appear to be much damage to the cab area. Looking at he pic, I would guess it was probably at heart attack and no person is at fault. Anyway the autopsy will determine that.

A good reason to check your auto insurance policy to see if you've got bail coverage. Your fault, their fault, nobody's fault- you may need it, if only for the time it takes to investigate. Something that can bite foreigners accustomed to the "rules back home".

I'd hate to end up in a Thai jail for a few days while they investigate.

Vehicles today are made to crumple and there doesn't appear to be much damage to the cab area. Looking at he pic, I would guess it was probably at heart attack and no person is at fault. Anyway the autopsy will determine that.

Was that heart attack after he head-butted the folded bonnet/hood?

RIP Frank

Was that heart attack after he head-butted the folded bonnet/hood?

RIP Frank

I didn't realise he head butted the bonnet. The airbags didn't work??? The windscreen still seems to be intack.

Edited by chooka

t say the NZ chap was driving fast, it said he was driving in the fast lane. It went on to say that he drove into the rear of the garbage truck as it was parked to collect garbage which hints at the fact he was parked in the fast lane. Which is probably a crime even in Thailand?

Obviously you have never been on Samui.

There are no roads with two lanes here.

I think you should read it again Alwyn, it says "fast speed".

• Like 1

Obviously you have never been on Samui.

There are no roads with two lanes here.

I think you should read it again Alwyn, it says "fast speed".

That's the truck drivers story.

???

The garbage collector car's driver wasn't do anything bad. He did his work as every day. If you see the garbage car collects litter probably you have to know this stands or goes very small speed.

So I don't understand at all this "reckless driving".

Rest in Peace NZ old buddy. wai.gif

It is the driver’s responsibility of the garbage truck to ensure the truck is operating safely which includes ensuring the trucks warning and hazards lights are operating effectively. The risk is, the driver can be held accountable for recklessly being in charge of motor vehicle. It’s also not uncommon for garbage trucks to have defective running and warning lights as usually they get damaged quite frequently. Moreover, there is also very little enforcement in Thailand to ensure all vehicles comply with road safety conditions....Weather conditions may have also played a big part in the event such as was it raining at the time? which could have impaired the NZ drivers visibility to see the parked truck ...If you've done a bit of driving in Thailand, then you don't need a big imagination to work out the worse case scenario that could possible happen ...Sincere thoughts to the victim ..RIP

That is why many Thai drivers flee the scene. They are deemed to be guilty before any investigation takes place.

• Like 1

I really enjoying reading posts about bad punctuation, mis-spelling or (in this case) possible transposed names. Shame the posters haven't got more important things to do in their lives. Hopefully my spelling and grammar is OK

If grammatical and correct spelling is your priority, then a forum like this is, obvoiusly, the wrong place for you. Read the English dailies or a book written by scholars. Wrong place to be showing off, Mr. English!

• Like 1

can you imagine if the boys loading the truck were behind the truck at the time, very nasty

Yes, it could have been a lot worse....

Judging by the impact on the car, he was not driving at a safe or the legal speed limit on Samui.

Driving without "due care and attention"..., are the words that come to mind. It is not just Thai's driving here, that are guilty of that. sad.png

Sad for everyone involved. Condolences to the family

Lamai%2520Samui%2520Nov%25205%252C%25202

Tourist killed in Thailand not a Kiwi

A tourist killed in a crash crash in Thailand was not a New Zealander as Thai media had initially reported, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) has confirmed.

Initial reports suggested a 65-year-old Kiwi had died when his car collided with a rubbish truck at high speed.

A MFAT spokesman said the mistaken identification was probably because the dead man had borrowed a New Zealander's car.

''Our embassy had been contacted about the incident but it has since been confirmed that this person was not a New Zealander.''

- © Fairfax NZ News

• Like 2